Visual Guide on How To Install A Userscript

Contents

1. Before you start
  2. Install a user script
  3. Edit a user script
  4. General Troubleshooting

1. Before you start

Firefox users

1. Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tampermonkey/  and download the latest version of Tampermonkey.
If this link doesn't work, go to  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ and search for 'Tampermonkey'.

EZzMimo

CHECKPOINT: make sure you see the Tampermonkey icon in the toolbar.

Chrome users

1. Go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en and download the latest version of Tampermonkey. If this link doesn't work, go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps?hl=en and search for 'Tampermonkey'. Look under 'Extensions' for the correct link.

CHECKPOINT: make sure you see a the black square icon with two holes (a creepy face?) in the toolbar.

Safari users

1. Go to https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=net.tampermonkey.safari-G3XV72R5TC and download the latest version of Tampermonkey. If this link doesn't work, go to https://safari-extensions.apple.com and search for 'Tampermonkey'.

CHECKPOINT: make sure you see the Tampermonkey icon in the toolbar.

Mobile browsers

There are lists according to GreasyFork; but only some are tested to work.

Mobile (Android)

Mobile (iOS)

Selected browsers that are tested to work includes:

• Android
    • Kiwi Browser + Tampermonkey or Violentmonkey
      • It has UserScript loading built-in, so may work natively.

Other browsers

1. Check if your browsers add-on store has Tampermonkey. If so, install it. There are no pictures for the 'others' category, sorry. It's probably very similar to how it's done with Firefox or Chrome, though, so check out those sections or ask for help below in case you get stuck.

2. If Tampermonkey is not available for your browser, a very similar program will probably exist, so don't worry. A possible alternative is Violentmonkey. There might be others out there too. Just google it!

Note: From here on out, the guide assumes you have installed Tampermonkey. If you have installed a different script manager, some actions might be different. Be aware of this.

2. Install a user script

1. Make sure you have installed a script manager like Tampermonkey. If not, go to the first section of this post.

2. The author of a user script will leave a link to download it in his OP (Original Post) of the thread.
This will usually be a link to https://greasyfork.org/en
On greasyfork, click 'Install this script'.

3. Confirm by clicking “Install” again.

DONE!

3. Edit a user script

1. Go to 'Dashboard'.

jEB6hrE

2. Click on the name of the script you want to edit.

g0meBVc

3. Make edits.

4. To save the edited script: If you are old enough to know what a floppy disk is, click that icon. If not, see the image below (Note: image from earlier Tampermonkey version).
Or hit the “Ctrl+S” combo if you’re more of a keyboard warrior.

DONE!

httpwwwiconsplacecomiconspreviewrederror-64png

General troubleshooting

I installed a user script, but nothing changes!

Solution 1
Be sure that Tampermonkey (or whatever script manager you have) is enabled.

Tampermonkey users

1. Click on the grey square with two holes to enable Tampermonkey.

2. Also make sure that the icon before the title of your user script is not greyed out. This means the user script itself is disabled. Click on it to enable it.

Solution 2
Not all user scripts work from the get-go. Most of the time, you need to enter your API key before the script can do its magic. Some scripts fetch the API key automatically after installing, and some don't. Be sure to check the script's thread for more information on this.

104 Likes

This is nice. You make nice things. 

9 Likes

You are a hero :slight_smile:

3 Likes
Cassykins said... This is nice. You make nice things. 
 ^^ Friendship +1

IWannaBeLikeYou said... You are a hero :)
 I was planning to make this eventually, but your post made me push it to the top of my TODO list. Glad you like it!
1 Like
Mempo said...
Cassykins said... This is nice. You make nice things. 
 ^^ Friendship +1

IWannaBeLikeYou said... You are a hero :)

Yes! We need upvotes here. You deserve all the upvotes. (I might be biased)

Thank you so much for this! I never understood how people used userscripts, and some of them look so cool and useful. Now I can be like all the other cool kids here at Wanikani! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Mempo,

I discovered that you can make a clickable Table of Contents for a post by using html anchors.

#Table of Contents
1. [Firefox Users](#section_firefox)
2. [Chrome Users](#section_chrome)
3. [General Troubleshooting](#section_trouble)
-----
<h3 id="section_firefox">Firefox Users</h3>
blah blah

-----
<h3 id="section_chrome">Chrome Users</h3>
blah blah

-----
<h3 id="section_trouble">General Troubleshooting</h3>
blah blah
4 Likes

thanks! Updated OP.

Hi,

I am a complete newbie and this might be a stupid question. But is there any way to run user scripts on an iPad? Or an iOS app that’s equivalent to a reorder script?

Thanks

1 Like

Pinned topic!

Who’s with me?

1 Like

as far as I know there isn’t a good way to run scripts in mobile browsers. These things are in development, but for either didn’t work or not reliably so.

Maybe one of the iOS apps has a reorder script built in. The Android one has it, so surely it is possible to do. I think it’s called AlliCrab. Copied from script list:

• Mobile AlliCrab by cplaverty: features in-app reviews and lessons using an embedded web browser, ignore button, review timeline, notifications when reviews are available, 1Password support, “today” widget.

• WaniKani for iOS by haawa: iOS app. features in-app reviews and lessons, lightning mode, ignore button, notifications when reviews are available, in-app browser, and lots more features

Userscript can be installed in Android (using Firefox + USI), but most of the userscipt aren’t working properly. So, better use an app.

Thank you

I found WaniKani for IOS app, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I am just getting a picture of an endlessly spinning dog :slight_smile: Well, back to doing wanikani without shortcuts.

I can’t help you with those apps. Any questions should be posted on their threads.

AlliCrab: [iOS] Mobile AlliCrab for WaniKani

WaniKani for iOS: New iOS app

You will also find further info and instructions on how to install there. I haven’t followed the iOS apps too closely but I’m fairly sure at least one of those two was still working a few months ago (think it was allicrab, could be both). Give those threads a look. Don’t give up!

I’m new be here and i wanted to try out the script.
I had access to this guide from “The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps”.

I’m on Firefox and the scripts didn’t worked for me as long as i used Greasemonkey.
But it did work with Tampermonkey.

Maybe there is an update to do on this guide for the sake of the firefox users.

@Touakak,
There was a significant change in Firefox in November that required some changes in functionality in GreaseMonkey, which broke a lot of scripts. There hasn’t been a big effort to make scripts compatible with GM again since they all still work in TamperMonkey and ViolentMonkey, so a lot of people have simply switched to TM or VM.

@Mempo, would you be interested in converting the thread to a wiki so the community can maintain it in the long term? (or PMing Kristen if you don’t have access to grant wiki status?)

1 Like

Ask and ye shall receive

You can edit all you want now

1 Like

Thank you !
Then I’d like to edit the firefox guide and update it for TamperMonkey.
How can i edit this post ?
Do I need to be a granted or something ?

I think anyone can edit a wiki. Just go to the top post, click on the edit/pencil icon in the upper-right, then click Edit Wiki.

I don’t have it. Maybe because i havn’t paid yet. In that case, i’ll do that in than a week I guess.
I do have a pencil icon on the upper-right that shows me the history, but no Edit Wiki.
Also, I can see the pen to edit my own messages, not for the top post.