[Userscript]: Double-Check (Version 2.x)

Wanikani Double-Check

A multi-feature companion script for Wanikani reviews.
(Credit to Ethan for his original version [here])

[ General Script Installation instructions ] :point_left: You’ll need a script host plugin like TamperMonkey
[ Open Framework Installation ]
[ Download / Install “Double-Check” ]

Script features:

• Change answer - (USE WITH CAUTION!)
    • Allow you to retype your answer without revealing the correct answer (in case of typos)
    • Mark your answer correct (“override” for typos, synonyms, etc)
    • Mark your answer incorrect (when Wanikani’s typo forgiveness passes a bad answer)
  • Mistake Delay - Prevent you from advancing to the next question under the following optional conditions:
    • When you answer incorrectly - So you can see why you got it wrong.
    • When the answer has multiple meanings - So you can study additional meanings.
    • When your answer has typos - So you can confirm that your answer is actually correct.
  • Lightning Mode - (optional) Auto-advance to the next question when you answer correctly.
  • Typos - Three options for managing typos (i.e. “slightly off” answers)
    • Ignore - Move on to the next question.
    • Warn/shake - Shake the input box, and inform you that your answe is “a bit off”
    • Mark Wrong - Answers with typos are marked wrong.

Hotkeys:

• Press Escape or Backspace to retype your answer.
  • Press + to change an answer to ‘correct’.
  • Press - to change an answer to ‘incorrect’.

Screenshots:

scripts_menu

Burnt an item while getting it wrong
Script to ignore mistakes with English "to"
Override Script
(Obsolete) [UserScript] WaniKani Double Check
Progress and failing?
Be a little more forgiving if I enter kanji reading for vocab?
Have you noticed the Kanji / Vocab imbalance?
Stuck on level 1 eternally?
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps
Started WaniKani - experience
The Elation/Crushing feeling of Level Transition
Entering more than one answer?
Override Script Help! ("Ignore Answer" Button Disappeared)
Not allowing other than english in answer
Any way to mark your answer as wrong?
Any update on blacklist functionality?
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps
Avoiding typos and other silly errors
Add more synonyms?
[Userscript] Wanikani slowdown
Any way to make the correct answer register as a wrong one?
Wanikani Open Framework [developer thread]
Wanikani is vindictive against the user
What do you want now? (Request extensions here)
Oops, lost my master rank
引っ越す 's english answer was a mistake
Can you guys add an override for when you get a question wrong?
[iOS] Tsurukame - native app with offline lessons and reviews
I am sometimes mixing up kanji and related vocab :)
WaniKani Content Overhaul
Not exactly a bug...but
Incorrect answers being accepted
Typo button?

Literally maxed out my likes 1min before you posted this. Then I wondered why a fresh thread came up in my notifications. THEN I saw the link. Thanks man. :slight_smile:

• Starting from this version, the script now uses the Open Framework.
  • The script adds a settings menu, so settings no longer need to be configured in the code itself, and your settings won’t be lost when you upgrade to a new version.
  • This also fixes some audio issues, where audio was being cut off when advancing to the next question.

It’s nice that you mention me even though it’s your own code, Frankly I don’t care if you do use my code, although I tend to think your code is structured much better than mine.

Yeah, I figured it was time to start a separate thread so I can post updates in the top-post… mainly because the script integrates several other scripts (Lightning, Mistake Delay) to prevent conflicting code on the reviews.

Concepts count :slight_smile:
Quite a few of my scripts started with someone else’s idea. And sometimes with some else’s code.

My Double-Check was the natural evolution of the scripts that made wrong answers correct, I just felt it needed the ability to be honest about “right” answers too, something the other scripts didn’t do.

I’m still surprised by the number of people who are unaware of Double-Check, despite how long ago you created it. “Override” is so ancient now, but it seems many people still recommend it when noobs complain about typos.

At least it’s gotten more attention than [UserScript] WaniKani Never Wrong*

So there’s hope for humanity yet.

Koichi should just hire you at this point.

From your lips to his ears, hehe :grin:

Work is slow where I live for software engineers, unless I want to move closer to Atlanta… which I don’t.

You’re tellin’ me. I work for Big Corporation and spend half my days just waiting around for other people. Despite the fact I have to wait 2 weeks for an EC2 instance, our company claims to be Agile.

Heh… Unfortunately, sometimes ‘agile’ is a euphemism for “I don’t have a release plan”. Some do Agile well, others just like buzzwords.

re: slow work
I’m self-employed. I worked for (as an employee) and with (as a contractor) the same company for 20 years, but now they’re in a budget crunch, so very little work. I do Embedded Systems software, which is a field in need of more workers, but the work tends to be in hotspots, and I’m not quite near enough. My resume is stellar, so I get tons of calls from recruiters every week, but I’d either have to commute 90min, move closer to the city, or contract away from home for 6 months at a time… none of which I’m willing to do. But I have alternate plans, so I’m okay. Nonetheless, I do take on work when it comes up.

In our case agile means follow the processes without actually changing anything. Continuous integration? Unit tests? What are those?

I’m trying to see if I can nudge my way into something that would allow me to work from anywhere, such as Japan heh heh. I may not be a wise master like yourself, but I can do alright if I’m not stifled by all of the bureaucracy.

If my “alternate plan” doesn’t pan out, I’m looking at adding a few key skills to be able to tap into the remote-only market. Either some major web-oriented application frameworks, or a bit more experience with high-speed FPGAs (a very niche area of electronics that is in very high demand)

I…edit text…and sometimes pictures…
I can do more than that…but they don’t let me…

Have I ever told you how awesome you are, @rfindley? Thank you for all that you do!

Has anyone been able to get this to work in Safari? It’s not working for me. (Version 11.1.1)

Double-check is still not working. I have retested it several times with Chrome and Safari. Here were the TS steps:
1- reinstalled Tempermonkey
2- reinstalled open framework
3- deactivated all non essential scripts
4- reinstalled double check
5- tested functionality

The script doesn’t seem to load. There is no settings icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen when you enter the review mode. I really loved this script, hopefully this info can help to get it working again.

Do you have the Open Framework running as the #1 script in TamperMonkey?

Hello thanks for the quick reply, yes it is at the top first position.