Names of radicals that make no sense

No, and I should have saved it for a campfire thread, sorry everyone, it was late and I wasn’t thinking.

Where’s this userscripts?

How are you getting on without mnemonics? I realised today that I don’t bother with them either… I guess this means I’m doing an expensive version of Anki :joy: but I feel like things are sticking better this time around than the last time I tried (of course this could be because I already learned this stuff once and my general Japanese vocal is significantly better than when I joined WK).

I did use mnemonics, the first time I went through WK to level 60.

After I reset, I don’t use them, because most of the time I just already remember the items.

Ah okay, so it’s a victory lap! Do you see any major harm in my approach? I suppose people learn by rote and this is a more methodical version of that… but maybe I’m not getting the most out of the service… but everyone learns in their own way…

You know what? Maybe this is for me to figure out :relaxed:

For the specific Userscript we’re talking about click here

There’s also a compilation of all the userscripts available here

There are instructions on how to install and use userscripts here

1 Like

@wk, you’re radicals are, like, not hanzu, so um…stop disrespecting the poor man…

(p.s. wk please give me 5 lifetime subscriptions so I can do wk 5 more times)

Sorry, you’re only the 998,473rd person to complain about radicals. Getting close, though!

4 Likes

By my calculations I should complain in roughly 7 and a half minutes.

See you then!

4 Likes

I don’t use “radicals” to learn. I see if I can break down the kanji into smaller kanji that make up it’s parts, like 親 for example, and for some reason, the old names I used when I went through Heisig still stick around, so that’s 2 tools… and for the readings, knowing that “ah, that’s 直 from 直接” does the trick for me.

Oh, like… These? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which is precisely what WK uses as “radicals” after the first few levels :stuck_out_tongue:
Simpler kanji can only be broken down into non-kanji components (which would be the “real” radicals).

There a number of cases where WK could do a lot better by breaking down into kanji instead of forcing everything through to “radical” parts, though.
WK says 姉 = 巾 + 女 + 亠, but doesn’t 女 + 市 work better? You can still come up with a mnemonic for the meaning, and the on’yomi then becomes easy to remember.
WK says 終 = 糸 + 夂 + 二, but you’ve already learned 冬 as a kanji by this point. (Also 二 in that breakdown doesn’t really make sense.)
With 働 = 重 + 亻 + 力, it comes just one level before 動 is taught, why not swap them?
etc.

3 Likes

I think we all agree that the radical system on WK is far from perfect ^^
I hope the incoming overhaul takes care of most cases like those you mention.

WK says 姉 = 巾 + 女 + 亠, but doesn’t 女 + 市 work better? You can still come up with a mnemonic for the meaning, and the on’yomi then becomes easy to remember.

This. I remembered this as “the woman 女 who goes to the market 市 is my big sister 姉” when I learned the kanji.
I don’t know if things get better in the future, but it doesn’t matter much. The way I memorize the kanji also works for the reading.

My new strategy is to compare the lists of radicals and kanji when I begin a new level and immediately add the meaning of the kanji as a synonym for the radical. That way I don’t waste time studying a meaning for a radical that will only confuse me later.

Well they changed OPs radical from duck to now mean clan, which honestly is not ANY better. So hope that answers your question lol

Except that “clan” does have a relation to “family name,” resolving the issue specified in the OP…?

2 Likes

How so? Back in ye olden days, your family name came from the name of your clan.

2 Likes

Ah, makes sense. I just got to the level and my specific query that lead me to this thread probably made me interpret the OPs question incorrectly.

Carry on.

1 Like