My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 )

Well I think it’s been a month since I got into Wanikani and read your guide. Most definitely the thing that helped me the most was your extensive list of userscripts, particularly the wanikani override script. Saved me many a time from being too careless.

However sometimes I double tap enter too fast when I’m rushing through reviews and am unable to correct a typo I made. Is there a script that can help with this? Just recently I typed ‘se’ instead of ‘see’ for the 見 radical; double tapped enter and lost some of its progress even though I definitely know it. If there is no solution then I’ll just have to remind myself to go slower but thought I’d ask in case.

Another thing that really helped was the scheduling and mention of the SRS intervals. 4, 8, 24h really helps to plan learning of new items.

Should be entirely possible. However you may want to get the override script in case you make typos, your leveling will be delayed otherwise.

1 Like

There the Double Check user script mentioned a bit above: https://community.wanikani.com/t/my-journey-of-368-days-the-ultimate-guide-for-wk/31318/341.

1 Like

alright thanks, I’ll give that a go.

1 Like

Do you mean going through Wanikani without scripts?

It is entirely possible to do so, but it will make life harder. The scripts that I recommend won’t hurt the quality of your learning, if that’s what you’re worried about. Unless it’s the impossibility of using them? :slight_smile:

Hey, glad that it helped you this well :grin: It brings me joy hearing about how people’s learning is going well thanks to this guide!

That would be my suggestion too :grin: Thank you for giving that prompt recommendation to rever ^^

3 Likes

Yes that was the main thing I was worried about, but there is the other problem of me not knowing how to implement them :sweat_smile: I assume I need the PC as well.

1 Like

Yup, you can use the scripts on pc :slight_smile: Have you checked the link that explains step by step how to install them?

If it being on the computer is a problem, both iOS and android (unofficial) apps for Wanikani are loaded with the most popular scripts :slight_smile:

(Unofficial) iOS app:

(Unofficial) android app:

Let me know if that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!! I use the app on ios so I must be using some scripts already. They don’t reorder anything but there is the typo script I believe, as in it allows one letter to be out of place.

I probably won’t try doing anything other than what is already in place for now. Thank you for all you help. The link was very useful as I’d not found that and might need it in the future.

1 Like

I just wanted to say a big thank you for this post!

I read it when I was still on the free levels, and without it I probably wouldn’t have even noticed the systematic review intervals, or the way lessons are unlocked, and how accuracy impacts levelling-up (and therefore unlocking new stuff).

I came to WK with some kanji/vocab knowledge already, so this is really helping me to move (relatively) quickly through the lower levels to get to the meaty stuff sooner (and probably slow down at that point). For now I’m avoiding reordering/filtering scripts for now (trying to respect the original WK plan), but maybe at later levels I’ll need to start using one…

1 Like

Hey, I’m glad to hear that things are going smoother thanks to this guide :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you enjoying Wanikani? I started it in 2017 with no knowledge whatsoever, so it’s always interesting to me to see the perspective of those that start knowing some content already :slight_smile:

The reorder script that I was recommending before (and it was the only one available) allowed for some unhealthy habits to be created from the behalf of the user. However, I finally removed it from the suggestions’ list yesterday and I’m now recommending Lesson Filter. With this one, the WK’s order is maintained much better, the difference being that you can specify the number of lessons of each type you want to do in a given lesson session. Maybe take this one into consideration (even if only for the future) :v:

2 Likes

I’m loving WaniKani, even if there are quite a lot of kanji and words I already know going through the lower levels, I’m still learning stuff (more kanji, more readings, more vocab).

It’s pretty amazing to see people like you speeding through from 0 to most Joyo in such a short time, And we all get to benefit from it! :blush: I haven’t seen how you approached grammar, did you do that in a condensed time too?

Thank you for the recommendation of the lesson filter script, I’ll take a look at it – it might be a good way of pacing when I start getting lessons for stuff I haven’t seen before. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I reached N3 level in the first year of Japanese and then my grammar knowledge pretty much stagnated :sweat_smile:

I think I got involved in too many things (for grammar I was literally writing a textbook as I’d go with learning it). Then I got involved into improving both Core 10k and a katakana vocab deck on Kitsun… and life happened… and I’m not the perfect person when it comes to discipline so… :rofl:

But oh well, things are going back to place bit by bit :slight_smile: I also have Russian to deal with, so my attention needs to be divided.

For grammar, I followed Bunpro’s JLPT list, checked a bunch of resources online and took notes as I’d go. That’s why the textbook idea came up. I realized there’s a need for a better balance between depth of grammar explanations and ease of learning.

I didn’t follow any specific textbook. However, once I’m back to grammar, I’ll use the shinkanzen series. I like how they order their grammar books by similar grammar. I think that not enough grammar sources are willing to help differentiate different grammar structures, which only leads to you knowing 5 different ways of saying “the same thing” and no idea which one is best, even if the nuance is small.

Thank you for the kind words :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Updated the guide! :tada::tada:

• Added info about how SRS intervals for levels 1 and 2 are halved and explained how they can lead to things starting to heat up on WK to beginners (so that they understand that “omg is so slowwww” is temporary).

• Removed the overwrite and the reorder scripts from my recommendations. Those 2 scripts were the ones that could hurt the users’ learning. Now I’m recommending Lesson Filter, Double-Check and Prioritize Overdue Reviews (reorder script) instead.

• Updated “Threads on the forums that you should know about” with the 2 new Japanese only sections, with the lovely android app Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support, and with the Master List of Book Clubs .

• I improved “The famous fast levels” chapter by giving a broader perspective on how to take them: slower, maintain the same speed, or speed up. I explained the pros and cons of each, hoping that will help users make a decision.

• Updated level 30/60 graphics with more updated ones (thanks Kumi and cpitman!)

• I improved chapter 11 “I came back to WK and now I have an insane amount of reviews” by making it better organized and started recommending the use of Prioritize Overdue Reviews (reorder script) instead of the reorder by SRS levels’ script that I had there.

• Updated list of fast levels.

• General improvements of the text for clarification/simplicity.

• Cringed about something I wrote 1 year+ ago, as if it was a Facebook post from my crazy teen years.

2 months and half, not bad.

8 Likes

Nice work!
Also, I am in Kyoto right now and it is awesome. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

still no mention of me :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

1 Like

Damn it, now I have to read through the entire guide again just to see what you removed. :rofl:

2 Likes

You sure? :wink:

Just check the script section if anything :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

何も気付かなかった。

2 Likes

Superb and inspiring post, thanks so much for writing!

2 Likes

Glad it made you feel this way :slight_smile: Welcome to Wanikani and good luck on your journey!

2 Likes

So, I didn’t know about the scripts before reading your post. I’m trying to be more careful about level timings (to avoid reviews at 2 AM for example) and enhance my performance. I’m also being more active on the Wanikani community, so I can find new resources and practice my japonese. Besides that, is really incredible to found other people that speakes portuguese here! So yeah, obrigada (portuguese word for thank you) for this amazing guide!

1 Like