This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.
This is the stable release of my latest script, Niai Visually Similar Kanji!
This is a completely new implementation, and a substitute for the old Wanikani Similar Kanji script, and a more full-featured version of Wanikani’s own Visually Similar Kanji section.
- Get Tampermonkey (installation instructions in this thread)
- Click on the installation link (Tampermonkey should auto-detect
- Install the script after you check the security (at least see that script will only change the wanikani website, all
@includeshould be related to WK )
- v1.2.0 Level detection now working, and WKOF support
- More control over how many kanji are shown
- Added new DB based on kanji differences in the Noto font
- Put vocab examples on top again in lessons
- Opens all jisho links in a new window
- The position of kanji in the grid is now stable even when deleting
- Enter button problems in lessons and reviews should be fixed now (for good now?)
- Five different databases for similar kanji: two from Lars Yencken’s PhD thesis (see below), the Keisei database for phonetic compounds, the database of the old “similar kanji” script, and (planned) manual additions
- You can add and remove kanji from the list as you like, it will be stored locally in your browser
- Replaces WK’s section on kanji content pages
- Also works in reviews, lessons, and lesson reviews
I want to find out who is using the script, and send out @notifications I case I break something seriously in the future (happens rarely ). Please click something!
- I use the script and want notifications
- I use the script but will just suffer silently
- I just like to click on polls
- Show/hide badges than can be clicked to delete kanji (see below)
- Add a similar kanji (dropdown menu)
- Revert your changes (deleted and added similar kanji) for the current kanji only, click twice
- Show/hide the section contents once
- Show more debug messages in the console (in case of problems)
- Delete all your changes to all kanji (click twice)
- Mini mode: always start out with hidden character grid
- Edit mode: always start out with the delete badges visible
=> Click on the
x badges to delete
+ dropdown you can add kanji, only kanji in WK can be added (but at least it fills readings and meanings for you). Enter or paste the kanji, click the button.
GPL v3, just do what you want with it.
This page describes a number of data sets released as part of my PhD work.
All data sets on this page are released under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.
Unless otherwise specified, the appropriate academic citation for any of these datasets is:
Yencken, Lars (2010) Orthographic support for passing the reading hurdle in Japanese. PhD Thesis, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia.
I am not responsible for any problems caused by this script. It currently has “works for me (most of the time)” status.
This is still work in progress, any data you enter may get lost accidentally. Just don’t put your PhD work on similar kanji in there yet. In Tampermonkey you can copy/paste your
override_db under Edit>Storage.
This script was developed on Chrome Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) with Tampermonkey 4.4. It uses some fairly new features, but a recent browser version should do fine.
I tested it at some stage with Firefox + Tampermonkey/ViolentMonkey, but just message me if you run into trouble.
One database is imported from the composition script: