New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Not really a new user question, but I just have a small question that doesn’t really need its own thread.

It’s about 売り上げ (amount sold). My input method suggested to correct it to 売上 and when I asked Google Translate, it suggested the same thing. So, are both ok? And both mean the same thing and are pronounced in the same way?

Yes, they mean the same thing and are pronounced the same. This is common. You’ll see the same for things like 入り口/入口 and whatnot.

1 Like

I think they have different uses… for instance… in example sentences… I’m only seeing 売上 as 売上の… that could be incidental but I’m not sure… I would assume they are used for different reasons until we learn better.

I’m not aware of any restricted usages.

http://ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/売上

But the shorter ones tend to get put on signs and graphs, etc, to save space.

3 Likes

Hi all,

Question here. I have seen some people reference certain scripts, and how they can be used to enhance the WK experience.
Is there a site with a lot of useful scripts, or a list in a thread or something?

I tried searching the forum, but only found 3 hits searching ‘script’ or ‘scripts’, so I was wondering if I missed something.

List of all scripts available: The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

How to install a script: Visual Guide on How To Install A Userscript

You’ve absolutely missed something. Not to worry, I’ll set you straight.

If you go to the main community page (https://community.wanikani.com/)
On the left you’ll see various categories. You want under Wanikani the subcategory “api-and-third-party-apps”

Or @jprspereira can be fast at literally everything and beat me to the punch.

I will add though, searching “script” gave me 50+ hits. If you hit enter it takes you to a list of results.

1 Like

I’m terribly sorry. Now that I tried again, I came to 50 results as well, and wasn’t able to reproduce the three results anymore:disappointed_relieved:

Both you and @jprspereira , many thanks for the quick reply. I will be sure to check out your suggestions.

Hi, very new person here. I just started yesterday.

I understand (and am fine with the fact) that I can’t just test out of or skip past the early levels. But I feel ridiculously held back by the wait times and how short the reviews feel. I mean, I’ve waited up to 6 hours just to zip through 1 minute of review. I’m still new to the site, but I was hoping for a little more control over my pace right off the bat.

My real question is: when does the pace become more controllable on my end? At what level? How long does it take to get to the point that I won’t be twiddling my thumbs between reviews/lessons?

Have you read both the FAQ and the Guide? The answer is there.

FAQ: www.wanikani.com/faq

Guide: www.wanikani.com/guide

Best way to not be twiddling your thumbs is pick up a grammar book, or practice non-kanji vocab on your own.

3 Likes

Many people complain about level 5, which is at least 1 month after level 1.

The review might eventually reach 300/day.

However, the ultimate goal of learning Kanji is to be able to read, as defined in http://www.wanikani.com/guide. You won’t be able to do that without grammar.

Eventually, you need grammar to intermediate level (N3/N2) to read most native stuff.

1 Like

Yes, I read both, and they explain the way that the SRS works, but not how long the waits are in practice.

Maybe level 10? Hard to remember that long ago… I understand that in the beginning you are stoked to try something new and KANJI and you wanna do it for like 3 hours straight but you can’t because the reviews, lessons wait times etc. It’s anticlimactic I know. Just spend the 5 minutes it takes and go on with your day. It picks up pretty quickly, I spend about an hour and a half each morning now doing my reviews and my lessons, and that’s just WK…

3 Likes

WaniKani Pathway

There is a pathway to getting a new lesson:

SRS Level Next Level Total Wait Review
Apprentice 1 4h - Lesson
Apprentice 2 8h 4h 1
Apprentice 3 ~1d 12h 2
Apprentice 4 ~2d 1d 11h 3
Guru 1 ~1w 3d 10h 4
Guru 2 ~2w 1w 3d 9h 5
Master ~1M 3w 3d 8h 6
Enlightened ~4M 7w 5d 7h 7
Burned - 24w 6d 6h 8

When you learn a new item (radical, kanji), you will be tested on it four hours later, eight hours later, one day later, two days later.

During the first three review steps, your item is marked as “apprentice”.

After the “two days later” (fourth) step review, a correct review changes the item to “guru”.

When an item is “guru”, you are considered to have learnt it well enough to receive new lessons based on that item. New kanji or vocabulary (words and phrases) based on that “guru” item then become unlocked.

If you make an error during a review, you will go back two steps, except when you are in one of the apprentice steps, where you go back one step.

After a radical (blue background) item becomes “guru”, any kanji which is derived from that radical becomes available to you as a new lesson. After a kanji (pink background) item becomes “guru”, any vocabulary (purple background) derived from that kanji will be unlocked.

After 90% of a level’s kanji items become “guru”, you go up to the next level. Many people call this “levelling up”. Any vocabulary related to the recently guru-ed kanji becomes available. A new slew of radicals and kanji (for the next level) also become available.

Every day, someone posts a new thread about this issue or they complain it is too slow and not worth using.

As the number of guru’ed items pile up, you will eventually feel very differently about the workload. For example: one guru’ed kanji can result in three new words / phrases. Each level has 30 or more kanji. If you stick with the system, you will get busy.

Credits: @wunderbunny

Okay, thanks! That does give me an idea of how long my waits will be.

I am studying other things in the meantime, naturally. I’ll stick with WaniKani, but it won’t be an integral crutch of my study routine for a while, I imagine. I know a few hundred kanji already, so it’ll take time for me to get to where I’m learning new kanji.

Danke.

Didn’t intend to complain; just was wondering how long it takes to get to a more sizable workload.

1 Like

The pace starts to become controllable in level 3, but you notice it even more in level 4. By that I mean, if you choose to space out your lessons, you will also get to space your reviews differently as a result.

Look for some of the threads about “I came back to 2000 reviews!” and “Gotta go Fast” vs. “Team Taking it Slow” to get a better idea of what I mean.

I didn’t interpret it that way don’t worry :slight_smile: Sorry if I somehow gave that impression.

Level 1 is very slow. You’ll see that level 2 already gives you more stuff to work on. To me, level 5 was definitely a wake up call because I unlocked 100 lessons in one go.

I’m supposed to say hello here according to the new user checklist? I’m interested in learning kanji by radical, but there’s too much English here to be immersed enough to learn another language. I don’t think I’ll stick around.