[Userscript] WK Anki Mode

So you want to speed up your reviews a bit, eh?

There’s an app for that, or rather, a user script! (hint: link can be found somewhere near the bottom)

Original script by oregu. (/t/Userscript-Wanikani-Anki-Mode/8399/1)

BUT I HAVE TAKEN OVER THIS SCRIPT LIKE SO MANY OTHERS AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO UNTIL I RULE THEM ALL!

enjoy.

Very Important Note: If you install the script and jump three times in the air, as high as you can, there should appear a blue button in the lower right corner of your review screen. Click that. If it doesn’t work: keep jumping.

How to ANKI

- press SPACE to reveal answer
 - press 1 to mark as correct
 - press 2 to mark as incorrect

Features (
v1.6)
 - Cycle through three different modes: Off (default), On and Auto Start
 - Auto Start Mode: reviews stay in Anki Mode until WK dies or you turn it back off (whichever comes first)

How to install
- Make sure you have the Greasemonkey (Firefox) or Tampermonkey (other browsers) add-on installed, so you can enjoy userscripts.

- Go to https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/15950-wanikani-anki-mode
- Click the green button (if that doesn’t work out, look at the guide linked below)
- BOOM, DONE!

How to install/edit user scripts guide:
 /t/Visual-Guide-on-How-To-Install-A-Userscript/12136/1

Change log:

v1.6
 - support for nanori kanji readings

v1.5
 - initial release (deal with it… It’s for historical reasons, mkay?)

Note: this has been developed and tested in Firefox. Let me know if other browsers have difficulties.

13 Likes

Thanks a bunch!

This is the only way I have been able to catch up on 800 reviews in 1 day. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hmmm… I think we have a bug here? In this kanji https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/%E8%BC%94 nanori reading is used and the script shows on’yomi reading. Could you do something about it?

embe said... Hmmm... I think we have a bug here? In this kanji https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/%E8%BC%94 nanori reading is used and the script shows on'yomi reading. Could you do something about it?
 wow, didn't even know they actually implemented any of those nanori's. I'll have a look.
embe said... Hmmm... I think we have a bug here? In this kanji https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/%E8%BC%94 nanori reading is used and the script shows on'yomi reading. Could you do something about it?
 So *theoretically* I solved the problem, but I can't really test it because I've never had a nanori reading kanji before.

[programming stuff]
The problem is I don't know the 'emph' property of an kanji that has such a nanori reading. That property is the only way I can know which reading is asked.
[/programming stuff]

If it still returns the wrong reading (defaults to on'yomi) I'll need you to do this for me:
 - Right click on the review screen with that particular nanori kanji and select 'Inspect'
 - Navigate to the 'console' tab at the top of whatever box just appeared
 - Type in    $.jStorage.get("currentItem").emph

- Hit ENTER with the force of a thousand hulk smashes
 - Tell me what the console replies
 - Possibly buy a new keyboard and desk if you did step 4 correctly

But I don't think that'll be necessary. I sorta guessed what the property name was.

thank you my lazy ass needs this

Very useful, I made a modification which uses Anki mode only for meaning and normal mode for reading (the check by wanikani is useful here imo). Will provid a patch in a few days, have to cleanup my awful code first :wink:

I think this is really cool, but as an Anki user I feel like I have to mention that marking an answer as incorrect is  1 in Anki not 2.

2 Likes

Love the script @Mempo! The jumping in the air part reminded me of a post I wrote awhile ago:

https://blog.robertbenjamin.co/pumping-our-arms-for-points

Lol, completely forgot I wrote that jumping instruction ;p

More importantly: DID YOU ACTUALLY DO IT?? Don’t sit too long at your desk eh!

I’m still learning app dev :sweat_smile:

But I’ve already had a few web things I’ve made be used by ridiculous numbers of people (saw someone on the bus using a thing I made on a website!) so IT CAN HAPPEN. Well at least I made them bob their heads a bit.

You managed to get me to press space, 1, enter, space, 2, etc etc. when I wouldn’t have! You could’ve made everyone type 3 or 4 or Q or W but you made us type 1 and 2.

I meant “did you actually jump when installing it” ;p

But hey, that’s really cool! Making real stuff and seeing others use it is the best part about programming imho. Apart from these user scripts I haven’t really made anything for others yet. I keep making excuses about it ^^

Keep doing what you’re doing! All the best things are made when solving your own problems (or doing something for fun).

I made a slight change for myself that may be of use to others when reviewing kanjis.

:arrow_up: or :arrow_down: to show if wanikani is asking for onyomi or kunyomi when answer has not been shown
:arrow_right: shows the answer (in a list if multiple)
:arrow_left: shows the other reading (in a list if multiple)
:arrow_up: or :arrow_down: for correct or incorrect once the answer has been shown

how do I share the script?

Ideally on greasyfork.org

But people have also shared scripts via github or something similar.

Um. Suddenly this is all over the place. The correct and incorrect buttons keep switching places. Meaning, sometimes when I click 1, it marks the answer as correct, sometimes it marks it as incorrect. O__O I suppose this might have something to do with Firefox’s update or me changing to Tampermonkey.

Yea, I’ve been notified of problems caused by the new FF update and Greasemonkey 4.0

Unfortunately I don’t have time to fix it now.

1 Like

I suppose you’re still busy. I’d love to have the script fixed, but take your time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been running it with Firefox and Violentmoney without any problems, so maybe that would help.