New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

I looked at both. They’re roughly the same and both less than 4 days.

Huh. *shrugs* Well that was me going off your comment that it looked like he’d only been around for one day.

Thanks for keeping an eye on this thread. : D

The best way to suspense

2 Likes

Hey there, while using the app I have the possibility to correct my answers with the “x” cross. There seem to be no such function when using the broweser or do I overlook something?

BJ

1 Like

The apps are made by third parties, not by WaniKani themselves. As such, they sometimes have features that are unique to the particular app or adapted from existing browser userscripts. Check out the API and Third-Party Apps section for userscripts you can install in your browser to modify WaniKani. The one you want is called Override.

1 Like

The apps aren’t official and are instead made by members of the community. Most if not all of them have built in userscript, including the override script you mention. If you want to have the same in your browser, you’ll have to install userscripts. Mempo has a nice guide on how to install scripts. And there is an entire forum section dedicated to scripts and other community made tools and addons. You can find the override script here.

1 Like

Alright, sorry, thank you

Is called “user script” and it’s not available as an official feature of wanikani. This tool might hinder your progress. Use it with caution.

1 Like

Other users already have pointed out the answer to this, but I’m just wondering, what application are you using?

My guess would be this one, unless the iOS app uses an x as well.

The iOS one allows you to enable various user scripts, but it’s completely optional. Also, no “x” mark, as far as I remember.

I’m curious about an app automatically enabling the option to correct your answers, it doesn’t sound right.

The Android app I linked also has the scripts as an option, not default. There are a few scripts you can enable and I don’t believe any are enabled by default.

1 Like

Hi! One of my bucket list items is to go to Japan, which I would like to do in the next decade. As I’m an avid manga reader/anime watcher, I’m starting to learn Japanese! I originally began with Duolingo, but despite it’s best efforts, it’s just not a good course yet.

I found Tofugu’s hirigana page and found it the best resource so far in learning hirigana. I found WaniKani on that page and made an account, did a few radicals just so I could see what this place was about.

I know the reviews for these first five radicals will populate soon, but I want to finish my hirigana studies first. How long do reviews stay in your queue? Should I do these concurrently with hirigana or put this work on hold until I’m done?

Thanks!

Definitely need to know hiragana at least first, but katakana as well. You can do the reviews and just leave the new lessons sitting once they’re unlocked, until you’re ready to get back into learning the kanji.

1 Like

I’ve got the other, older app for Android. It’s ignore/overuse function is also an X.

So it could be either. Or maybe even an iOS one if there’s more than one over there. Is development still dead on that older Android app?

I’m in total agreement with @borx.
Hiragana first, then Katakana, then come back to WaniKani. Your reviews won’t time out they’ll be here waiting for you.

Also, if you can get a free trial for 14 days or a month of iKnow, their katakana (and therefore probably also their hiragana) course was excellent. Already familiar with hiragana I learned katakana with that course and their phone app in 4 days.

: D

Totally dead. When I first downloaded it it was after the developer announced it was no longer supported. Last time (within a month or two ago) that I looked for it on Google Play to link it here, it no longer existed there.

Anyone who wants it I’d need to email an apk - although Gmail doesn’t allow the sending of executable files anymore! (I’ve received apks in the past.)

Is there even a good reason to use it over the newer one? The newer one used to have horrible crashing issues, but they were fixed a long while ago. It has a much nicer and visually appealing design as well.

It has the reorder script in it. That’s the only time I use it.

Edit: I shared this awhile back. It’s somewhere floating around the forums. @Borx

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hij2pmnxiny2p5/WK%20Mobile.apk?dl=0