[Userscript] Wordle-Kani

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

It might make the transition from a passive dictionary to an active one simpler.
It might help you practice kana-only word recognition.
It probably does neither, but bandwagons are to be jumped on.

Introducing Wordle-Kani, a fun way to play Wordle using the vocabulary you’ve already met on your journey.

Installation

Guide to installing user scripts: Visual Guide on How to Install Userscripts
The userscript uses WKOF, install it from here: Installing WaniKani Open Framework
The userscipt itself can be found here: Wordle-Kani

Controls

The game can be started with the conveniently placed button in the navigation bar.
Currently the game accepts hepburn romaji as input. Enter confirms the word. Pressing enter after a round ended starts a new round.
Currently the game won’t check if what you’ve inputted is a valid word or not (this might change in the future). It won’t allow words shorter than 4 characters, on about level 30 this means 2000-ish items to play with.

Planned features

If all goes well, these are the features I would like to implement in this version as well

• Settings, stuff like hard mode, or allowing non learned words
  • Daily challenge, this would be the same for everyone
  • Share feature with the blocks
  • Checking for actual words (might not be the best idea to limit the possible inputs to actual wk words)
Changelog
  • v0.2
    • Added a settings menu where you can change the following:
      • Include only learned words
      • Minimum and maximum word lengths
      • Maximum number of guesses
    • Weeded out words that have the same kana representation
    • Made it so n turns into ん if it’s followed up by a consonant, so that it’s less of a pain to input the words
  • v0.1.2
    • Accidentally didn’t match on wanikani.com without the /dashboard part
  • v0.1.1
  • v0.1
    • Initial release
20 Likes

Does it allow words longer than 4 characters?

edit: FYI it does not run on wanikani.com/dashboard
edit2: green characters never reset
edit3: finally got a word. 4 letters in 5 guesses. It’s so hard
edit4: there’s no way to close it

1 Like

Welcome to the Hotel Wordle-Kani
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!

9 Likes

It does, but because the average length is so short, they are quite rare. Seeing stuff that’s like 6 or 7 characters long is quite intimidating too.

Fixed, alongside preview.wanikani.com

Fixed this, had a typo in “correct”

You can beat it relatively often if you don’t care much about inputting correct words. I’d love to see how well for example a native speaker does at this. Also thought about for example special hints like “the character is almost correct, but the dakutan doesn’t match”. I’m open for ideas.

You can, by clicking the same button, but I added a much more noticable close button

1 Like

v0.2 is out with a settings menu
Full changelog:

Added a settings menu where you can change the following:

• Include only learned words
  • Minimum and maximum word lengths
  • Maximum number of guesses Weeded out words that have the same kana representation

Made it so n turns into ん if it’s followed up by a consonant, so that it’s less of a pain to input the words

2 Likes

Very minor complaint to an old thread, but could the wordle prompt be moved up a few pixels? It’s visibly not aligned and it’s making me irrationally upset.
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 6.42.22 pm
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 6.42.40 pm

1 Like

Huh, haven’t touched this script in a while. Will see what I can do tonight

1 Like