Reviews piled up big time

The answer is, we are week and want to get rid of the problem right here and now without dealing with it efficiently. :grimacing:

1 Like

heyo, fellow level 9 here.

i quit wanikani at level 8 because life and stress got in the way and i let months of reviews pile up. i had my account reset in january and even though i’ve worked at wanikani fairly consistently since then, i’ve only gotten back to level 8 and finally surpassed it now, 4 months later.

there is definitely a hump for you to get over at level 8, but you should definitely stick with it. those 400 reviews are nothing compared to the time it would take for you to go through 8 levels again. don’t worry if you’ve forgotten a lot of them- just get them wrong and let SRS do its job.

ganbatte :slight_smile:

1 Like

for ur viewing pleasure.

1 Like

I ended up with almost 3k reviews after 3 years away. I went for restarting, but it was more because of the 3 years away and having forgotten so much due to disuse. If it’s only a couple of weeks stick with it and you can get your review numbers down.

Life has been getting in the way for me big time lately and right now I’m at over 1.1k reviews and counting. I was only a few levels from 60, too…! :tired_face:

I was at 950+ a few months back… Even doing only 20-50 reviews a day (and no lessons) I got through them in about a month. (My accuracy was low in the beginning, so my will was weak… As I did better I did more reviews). You too can dig yourself out!
If it’s been longer than 6 months (how long I was away) or a year, maybe go back 5-10 levels and still dig yourself out. I believe in you!!!

(Here was my thread about that journey… https://community.wanikani.com/t/Trying-to-Return-For-Real-Finally-no-more-reviews/15377?u=animecanuck )

1 Like

My advice is just go faster than usual and knock them out as quick as you can. Don’t linger on them, just blast through, then the queue is down and you can continue as normal. Obviously the ones you got right go forward and the ones you forgot go back, but this is better than starting from square one. Just don’t take on any new lessons until you feel ready.

If you can afford a lifetime account, get a lifetime account and use the “vacation mode” whenever you find life is getting in your way. Even if you’re in “vacation mode” for one or two days, it makes a difference.

If you cannot afford a lifetime account, the vacation mode still works but your time limited subscription will continue ticking away. Not everyone is happy about that.

To tackle such a large review pile, you could use the re-order script to help you feel as if you’re in control. With the re-order script, you can tackle the lowest levels first and specify vocabulary followed radicals followed by kanji (or whatever you prefer).

If you have never installed a userscript before, please read:

WaniKani Reorder Ultimate script

1 Like

This post made me LOL. Just came back after a four month hiatus and I have 1900 reviews. Just setting a goal of 1600 by the next day, 1400 the next and so on, so it should be a week and a half before I can catch back up. Luckily, I still remember quite a bit, but it’s still going to be a struggle. I would also employ self study techniques. For instance, I use Rfinley’s self study script to study a level a day in addition to battling my reviews down by 200 every day, so I’m reviewing and gaining my knowledge back quicker.

I feel your pain. I was at level 28 at the beginning of the year with a backlog of over 2k reviews. I realized that it wasn’t beneficial for me to try to slog through them (I was bombing the reviews that I did), so I reset back to zero (well…level one). Not having that terrible backlog on my shoulders has given me a boost… I’m already more than half way back to where I was and going through the lessons again, things make a little more sense.

Sure, ideally I wouldn’t activate the vacation mode at all and power through from level 1 to 60, regardless of speed. And I agree with you that going on vacation mode for several days does affect your ability to remember recently learned items. But sometimes vacation mode is just unavoidable.

When my review correct percentage starts to tank it’s the first symptom of a burnout. Rather than forcing myself, I’d rather put a bit of distance from WK for a day or two. I try never to stay away for more than 2 or 3 days, because then it really gets difficult. But if you lift weights you also need to let your muscle rest some days.

And just because I’m not doing WK for 2 days doesn’t mean I stop learning Japanese. I still continue reading, watching, learning grammar, talking, writing Japanese.

I’ve used vacation mode many times. My experience has been after a weekend away, it doesn’t make much difference. However, after a couple of weeks’ holiday…I got screwed. Most heavily by recently unlocked items, which is a proof of a kind that the SRS does work pretty well - master / enlightened / burn reviews that were a week or two out of sync weren’t really affected since the gap was already supposed to be several weeks or months, but apprentice / guru reviews…I could have sworn I’d never seen half of them ever before.

I’d still recommend vacation mode though since if you’re going away and not able to do reviews, you’re going to be screwing up the timings anyway. If I’d come back to a huge pile AND was getting those low review scores, it would have taken a lot of willpower to get back into things.

After about a month of slowly chipping away at the mountain, my review queue is finally at 0 for the first time in forever!!!

Thanks Canuck for the encouragement :slight_smile: And to everyone else, if I can do it, so can you!!!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!
Good work.

:no_mouth:

1 Like

Don’t. Touch. The. Lessons.

Other than that, good luck! Do a little bit every day, even a couple on your daily commute or so. Don’t give up! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I have no intention of touching the lessons!
I was used to have a lot of reviews (as my sect title might suggest) but this… Burning material I keep failing… Effectively, every review is a lesson :wink:

Oof. That sounds scary :confused: My first burns should come up in around 3 weeks’ time. D: half looking forward to it and half dreading them.

Don’t give up, everyone!

I had about 750 reviews as of yesterday. I just put on some music and blasted through them all throughout the afternoon.
I was really motivated by my excitement to get back to making progress on this long term goal of learning Japanese! It’s a much better feeling than the feeling of guilt that comes with letting something important to you fall by the wayside

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.