So I restarted. Again

Will you be modifying your pace when you get to the 30s? (asked by someone who never even got to the 20s before and is realising how much tougher never-before-encountered kanji are than the I’ve-totally-forgotten-that kanji).

2 Likes

I had the same problem, burned items I could not remember. Also the radicals and mnemonics underwent a lot of changes. Mostly they’re better, but I sort of miss the old ones. “Boob grave” anyone? :grin:

2 Likes

Noob here with incoming noob questions: what is this cool looking calendar thingy ya’ll have posted and how do I install that on my computer?

3 Likes

[Userscript] Wanikani Heatmap

# How to Install Userscripts

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know. It takes a long time everyday — which is why I stopped before. I could limit my time, but I found that if I slowed too much, I would forget kanjis, event burned kanjis.

I’m quite certain I will be slower after level 30, because all kanjis will be new. If I can maintain 9 days / lesson, I will finish by year end (I am at 8 days now). I would like that :relaxed:

1 Like

I’ll be dropping from 13.5 to 16.5 days/lvl from the next level (will lvl up Thursday if I don’t stuff up) because the stuff just isn’t sinking in as well. Props to you that you can remember so much stuff at such speed.

( :wave: waving goodbye from in Xtian’s wake)

2 Likes

It’s a userscript. The first one is a bit tricky to install. After that it’s very easy.
Some are just “feel good” scripts like levelUP celebrator, others will display information or change the WaniKani experience. Look around in the forums, you will find a lot of information.

1 Like

Sorry, this link is much better, and more recent, than previous:

Visual Guide on How To Install A Userscript

And following on from Xtian’s comment above, there’s this descriptive list of userscripts, last edited a week ago, so current:

The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

1 Like

ok thanks for letting me know about this! It reminds me of the user-based addons I used to download from my World of Warcraft days. Very cool.

1 Like

I will get right on it and install some of these and check them out. Thanks for the information!

2 Likes

@Xtian you said that you’ve restarted a few times. When you are studying the items on levels you’ve already done in the past, do the memories come back? I am wondering how much do you remember from the past?

I’ve been here for six years now, reset 3 or 4 times, too and am back in the 20s as well. Hello, fellow resetter :smiley:
We will do it! We will get to level 60! I’m absolutely positive about this. Look at how stubborn we are! We always come back haha

5 Likes

I’ve reset twice back to 1 (highest was 20 something). It’s truly incredible how much you remember. I test myself on the radical lessons where it shows kanji that use the radical. So far I still remember nearly all of the readings which kind of blows me away.

Interestingly now I’m starting again I’m learning all the new mnemonics but I can still remember all the old ones and all the stories. So it really reinforces things!

3 Likes

@d-hermit Yes they do! When I “first” see the kanji again I have no idea, but memories come back to me, even old personal mnemonics. I don’t think I will be able to sustain my current pace of 8 days per lesson when I get to lesson 30.

1 Like

We are the stubborn ones @qiwi ! :grin:

2 Likes

Same for me James! This is really comforting. I started reading Kiki’s Delivery Service and I find I actually can read kanjis! I’m blown away :grin:

1 Like

Re-read your sentence out of WK context :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ha ha got it! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

you could do 10 levels, then stop lessons and resurrect vocab from X lvls ago, one at a time, move on when they’re at guru, re-burn the ones you’re 100% confident with. doing 10 levels worth of vocab this way will refresh your knowledge, and you’ll find out if there’s stuff you forgot and need to relearn.

there’s a script for bulk resurrections, forgot it’s name, but it’s very useful. resurrected items will be in your study queue, just sort by vocab first for lessons, via Reorder. this way, you won’t see new stuff before your relearn project is finished.

the fact that you can re-burn items easily makes it a breeze - only run items normally through the system if you forgot them. no fear of giant review sessions because of 150 new vocab every 3 days.

why unburn vocab, not kanji?
if you test yourself on kanji, the result will be binary: right or wrong.
if you test yourself on vocab, you might be able to read it, but see you’re not sure what one of the kanji means… if you then look it up, that might have just been the little push it needed to wake up again.

2 Likes

I have used that resurrection script. It worked but I found it cumbersome. I imagine it would be a good tool when you’re level 60 and you want a refresher on some items but don’t want to redo the whole thing.

I hesitated before resetting, I feared I would spend too much time on stuff I knew. So I did a self test going back, lesson 20, lesson 15, lesson 10… :cold_sweat:

I finally chose a reset over doing 1000+ reviews because re-learning the “right” way (radical → kanji → vocab) seems easier to me than:

• Entering a wrong meaning
  • Getting the meaning explanation and not recognize the radical anyway
    (so maybe unburn the radical?)
  • Entering a wrong reading
  • Getting the reading explanation refering to a “previous” item long lost to me.

As you say, some vocabs just need a little push, I actually spend very little time on them, I don’t even read the explanations, just rush to the quiz and be done with them.