How to Install Userscripts

1. If you are on Firefox, install Greasemonkey. If you are on Chrome, install Tampermonkey.
    2. Click on the link to the userscript. You will find this in the forum post about the userscript. 
    3. Click on the button that says “install userscript”

Success! You’ve installed a userscript!

EDIT: after installing greasemonkey/tampermonkey once, you don’t need to reinstall it for every subsequent userscript, you can just skip straight to step 2.
2 Likes

You’re a userscript-installing genius!

Bumping this. Took me a very long time to find out how to use one of these wonderful devices. Thanks guys!

Djsparkz said... Bumping this. Took me a very long time to find out how to use one of these wonderful devices. Thanks guys!
 you are very welcome!

ShotgunLagoon said... 1. If you are on Firefox, install Greasemonkey. If you are on Chrome, install Tampermonkey.
Hello, 

I've been using Safari for Wanikani. Is there one for Safari or is it recommended that I use Chrome instead? 

Check out GreaseKit.
I don’t use Mac or Safari, so I have no experience with it.  But it’s supposedly the equivalent of Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey.

Tapermonkey also has a version for Safari. Works fine for me!

rfindley said... Check out GreaseKit.
I don't use Mac or Safari, so I have no experience with it.  But it's supposedly the equivalent of Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey.

MsPxl said... Tapermonkey also has a version for Safari. Works fine for me!
Thank you both for your responses! I will check out both options and see what works. 

I am testing out an extension called Violentmonkey for Opera. There is also Tampermonkey Beta on the Opera Store right now as well. 

With the recent changes to Chrome, you can’t install extensions that are not from their store. I thought I could use this as a work around, but unfortunately, after I install Tampermonkey (all ok), I try to install the scripts by clicking install, but then a blank page appears and nothing happens. The extensions don’t appear at all.

Follow up: I had to save the script (“Save as…”), then open the Chrome settings, then drag and drop the file. Worked just fine. 

“Open with” the required userscript using notepad (or equivalent.

Open tampermonkey and “add userscript”

copy the userscript text into tampermonkey

save as the name of the userscript

voila: you now have a userscript (do you like my formatting using my phone?)