Constant unintentional typos? (kana)

Every third kana I type is wrong.

1 Like

This happens to me quite often, actually!
In fact, in many cases I don’t even know which kana I have mistyped :sweat_smile:

I mean, I get the review, enter the reading, press enter too quick - notice that the item was marked wrong, but press enter again, then get the same item, enter the same reading - and it passes… The only reason for that to happen is that I must have mistyped the reading the first time, but I don’t even know which part I mistyped :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I use a “ignore” script. I say the word out loud, and if I got it wrong cause of a typo I will hit ignore if I said it right.

2 Likes

it happens all the time. when this happen i cheat :sweat_smile:
if you close the tab and you open a new one the mistake doesn’t get recorded.

I do that all the time, but I don’t really mind tbh, because that’s just one more review you know? That word will eventually stick even more to my brain than the ones I know but never typed wrong therefore leveled up much faster.

since i’ve started learning japanese, i’ve been making a lot more typos in all my languages. for the most part just letter replacement typos, sometimes switching whole syllables around.

i think it’s because my brain is doing some re-wiring to accomodate this new and very different writing system, so i reckon it’ll sort itself out soon enough. in the meantime, i make like a proper touch-typist, and watch the screen rather than my fingers in order to catch my typos :wink:

1 Like

Constantly. I try to resist the urge to punish my fingers for their insolence.

1 Like

there should be a script for typos in hiragana for reviews

I just made twice in a row a typo in (よろこ)ぶ which I wrote both times よろこぬ :frowning:

Yeah. They really need to find some way of recognising potential typos. I mean, it’s off by one “kana” but that’s usually only a single letter for us. For people who use this alphabet, “nu” and “bu” are 50% the same XD

1 Like

You may want to check out this script. I don’t use it personally but it seems to be what you are asking for.

If you think you have strong self-discipline I’d recommend installing this one instead:

If you make a genuine typo you can reset it and enter your answer again. However, this script does mean you can mark incorrect answers as correct so only use it if you know you’re not going to cheat yourself!

I have this double check installed but it only works with the english words, sometimes only,

For me it’s the same. Especially for し/ち… Everytime it happens I tell myself to take care, but it happens again and again :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

It has a feature to allow insignificant typos through on the meanings in English. But obviously it can’t let typos through on the Japanese readings because that would sort of go against what the site is trying to do.

The first script I suggested will prevent you submitting your answer if the okurigana is wrong.

But if you’ve got retyping enabled in Double Check you can always retype your answer anyway if you’ve made a genuine typo. It’s down to personal preference (and whether you think you’ll be tempted to cheat) but I prefer this one.

Doesn’t happen to me much while typing, but all the time when handwriting. I constantly write ま for も, さ for ち and lots of others.

Have you thought about trying out a kana keyboard? You’d type slower but perhaps it’d lower the amount of typos.

It happens to me when I do reviews on my phone, I do “cheat” and I undo them to correct them. Sometimes I’m seeing the correction and I still can’t see the difference :sweat_smile:. It doesn’t usually happen on the computer, though.

I use double check. If I make a kana mistake like typing ku instead of ko, etc, I just redo it cause I know it was a simple typo.

If I make an English mistake I usually give myself a second or third attempt if I think I know the correct meaning, because I’ve found that WK can be a bit pedantic about what meanings it will and won’t accept. For example, I know 最後 as “end” but WK just won’t accept “end”, so if I type “end” and it marks me wrong, I will go “oh, right, it only accepts ‘last’” and retype. And 曲 is “song, music, melody, etc” but for the Kanji specifically, WK will only accept “music”, so if I type “song” and get it wrong, I’ll just retype. But if the meaning is like “first” and I type “first thing”, I know that’s a genuine mistake.

There was one I was doing last night, which I’ve already forgotten (lol), where I got the meaning wrong. But I was sure I was right, so I typed a different variation of the answer I thought it was, and was still marked wrong, so then I thought “well obviously, I don’t know” so I took the mistake and looked at the meaning. I was still correct about the meaning, I was just using phrasing WK didn’t like lol. The pedantry over accepted meanings is probably the thing I dislike most about WK, but oh well.

1 Like

For the english and different meanings you can add a synonym.

I know, but I don’t want to do that in case I add something that’s wrong or uncommon. I know it’s unlikely, but just to be safe lol Like I said, if I write something that’s “correct” but WK won’t accept, I just type the one WK wants.

That’s a good idea, ty! I‘ll give it a try.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.