[Browser Extension] Wrong Answer Undo

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

I made a browser extension for WaniKani in the past and I enjoyed it, so I decided to do another one.
It is already published on Chrome Web Store and Mozilla Add-ons

This extension allows you to undo your wrong answer from within the WaniKani website review session (idea inspired by other WaniKani apps that do the same thing). I haven’t really seen any script that does this directly in the WaniKani official platform. I just realized that Double Check does exatcly the same thing. Should have researched better before doing this hahaha I guess the difference is that you don’t need TemperMonkey for mine.

So, this extension is pretty simple and blends well with the website. It only adds three buttons, one on the top right corner to enable/disable the extension in real time, and two other in the bottom to undo the mistake, and to mark the answer as wrong immediately when you don’t know it, as seen in the picture bellow:

It also adds that blue stripe on the left of the answer input to tell the user that the extension is active.

This extension can be kind of “dangerous”, though.

The point of this system is to prevent “damaging” the SRS in case you make a silly typo that is not covered by WaniKani’s answer checking system.

This system can, obviously, be exploited in ways that will harm your learning. If you use it to rectify an answer you weren’t sure, then you will complete that subject successfully and advance an SRS stage, even though you might not have been fully ready for it.

The subject info is only available after you confirm that you want to send the answer, either correct or incorrect. So, you will never have access to it while being able to undo the wrong answer.

Usage Guide

Undo Answer:

When doing a session of reviews in Wanikani, if you get an answer wrong, either meaning or reading, you have the possibility to, right away, go back with your answer, before it is actually submited, and rectify it.

To undo an answer you can either click the button with the undo symbol, or use a shortcut key (default is ‘U’).

You can only undo an answer the first time you send it. In this stage of just one send click, if the answer is wrong, it is not yet submited to WaniKani servers. If you send it again, without undoing it, then it will behave as a normal wrong answer.

Answer information will only be available to you after you confirm that you want to send it, either correct of incorrect. (If you can still undo an answer, then you won’t have access to the subject information)

The point of this system is to prevent “damaging” the SRS in case you make a silly typo that is not covered by WaniKani’s answer checking system.

This system can, obviously, be exploited in ways that will harm your learning. If you use it to rectify an answer you weren’t sure, then you will complete that subject successfully and advance an SRS stage, even though you weren’t fully ready for it.

Correct answers cannot be undone.

Skip Answer

While doing reviews, if you don’t know an answer to either a reading or a meaning, you can skip it, by either clicking the Don’t Know (?) button next to the Undo button, or by clicking Enter when the text input is empty. This will mark the answer as wrong, but you won’t need to write anything.

This feature has a 1.5s delay for every subject to avoid missclicks while hiting Enter to get a new subject.

Disable Extension:

You can disable this extension in real time, meaning, if you decide you don’t want to be able to undo your answers, even if in the middle of a review session, you either click the extension icon, within the page, in the top right corner, or use a shortcut key (default is ‘X’)

The same thing goes for enabling it.

Shortcut Keys:

There a few shortcut keys that allow you to interact with some features through your keyboard. The default shortcuts are:

• U: Undo a wrong answer

• X: Disable/enable extension in real time

• Esc: Remove cursor from answer input and stop typing

• Enter (⏎): Skip answer when you don’t know it (only if the answer input is empty)

• Space (⎵): Put cursor back into answer input

If you feel like it, you can report bugs to my email: wkhighlighter@diogocorreia.com
Finally, you can also rate the app or give it a review at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikani-undo/ohlcafdanoiigfilobpcmpjpnnaaokif/reviews or at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wanikani-undo/
For more information, you can check it on Github .

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re aware of it, but you might also take a look at the DoubleCheck script which also offers the ability to undo wrong answers, among other things.

3 Likes

Oh you’re right, I had no idea about that script. I did exactly the same thing as it did. Damn now I feel stupid hahaha Thank you for pointing it out.

3 Likes

I’ve actually done the same thing myself (written a script without realizing there was an existing similar script).

2 Likes

There are so many scripts out there that there’s no way of knownig what there is left to do.

1 Like

I think there’s a thread which has a list of most of the scripts / extensions / third party apps, but it doesn’t list everything and sometimes lists things that don’t work anymore.

2 Likes