Extension of Shake Animation and Messages

@Mods Typed べつさつ and got this. I was doing reviews as fast as I could so it only showed up on the next one. Then turns out I was marked correct on that :eyes:
Thanks for the update, appreciate it, but I definitely should have been wrong on this!

@PabloM @OokamiMunch Are you two using any scripts? How big is your review queue?

3 Likes

Oh, that’s a bad one! Not knowing to convert from つ to っ in some compounds is a common error, and giving the user a warning for all of those seems like a bad idea!

6 Likes

I’m using a ton of userscripts, yes :smiley:
I can’t take a screenshot of them now but I can in a few hours.
This morning I had around 120 reviews (some level-up ones).

Yeah, if I was designing it I might limit the warning to things that don’t have tsu in them (like if someone tried to write gatsukou for 学校) or things in the first 5 levels or so. This just makes sure they learn about doubling consonants in romaji.

8 Likes

Yeah, quite a few scripts. I can’t really tell which might be interfering, though. I guess the authors will fix them in time. :man_shrugging:

I’m getting something like 100 reviews a day.

Edit: I think it’s either WaniKani Double-Check and/or Fast Abridged Wrong/Multiple Answer.

Edit again: Just disabled WaniKani Double-Check and now it’s working fine!

1 Like

Just to respond to a couple of earlier posts, we’re keeping an eye on this to see how it goes and will be considering updates after seeing the pitfalls and giving them some more thought :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with this one. I regularly forget how to read 達する, if I got a warning there I’d probably never really learn it. I think for the small letter case it should probably be disabled after the first 3 levels or so, anyone starting out who doesn’t know the difference will have seen it enough by then to know the difference. And there aren’t really any items below level 3 where you might easily confuse the two, so it won’t have too much of an impact on anyone else.

4 Likes

Here’s a funny one.

8 Likes

Because ほしい is not a verb?

Yeah. The alternative meaning of “to want” is messing up the message but i understand i got the wrong answer initially to get that.

1 Like

Apparently it’s a verb because it ends in い.

3 Likes

Uh oh :scream: Just to make it clear to anyone who’s not sure: 欲しい is not a verb in Japanese, though it is sometimes translated that way in English. For now, I’ve moved “to want” to the allow list, and we’ll look into getting this bug fixed!

12 Likes

Our update should now agree that 欲しい is not a verb! Phew :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

I agree with others that big vs. small vowel should be an error, not a shake (but thanks for the mid-word “n” vs. “nn” warning!)

One that I’d like to see added is shaking on mixed katakana/hiragana. The IME on Mac Chrome turns “Chiba” (with capital “C”) into “チば” and it gets flagged as an error. I get place names wrong almost half the time for this reason (yet lowercase “chiba” is accepted for meaning even though it is technically wrong.)

2 Likes

The worst is when you write ヘ instead of へ. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

i mostly think these are good changes, however i would also disable the shake for つ/っ.

when i get these wrong, it is never a typo, or just that i’m going to fast. instead it’s always a case where i remember the word wrong.

4 Likes

Personally, I love this. I have ADHD and make a lot of these mistakes due to crappy working memory or typing errors due to my brain going too fast and my hands not keeping up.

I haven’t used WaniKani much as a result, because I always felt like I was being penalized for how I function.

The shake animation is a nice reminder that I’m close but slightly off somehow. It lets me think about the difference between what I’ve learned and what I actually entered, and tends to better cement the correct answer.

Just being marked wrong doesn’t have the same effect. I’m not sure why. And then I get frustrated because the accumulation of all those small errors makes me feel like I’ve learned nothing.

So adding the shake animation in these other instances is likely to enhance my learning and help me to progress faster.

3 Likes

You make this sound like a problem with the IME but it sounds like it’s functioning properly to me? If you input capitals it should input katakana, 千葉 is ちば not チば. But you’re right that it’s Chiba not chiba, proper noun capitalisation always bugs me a little on WaniKani :triumph:

1 Like

I’m with @seanblue in thinking a level limit on these would be a good idea. Just like how WK stops giving the rendaku hint in the reading explanations, too. At some point you should be able to spot the differences yourself. Or you could after a certain point limit the behaviour to the lesson quiz only.

Japanese doesn’t have capital letters, so you should not be typing capitals in your Japanese answers. When I type Japanese with the IME outside of WK, using a capital turns my text to romaji instead of katakana. So these are bad habits to pick up and not be penalized for.

And the English side has never been case sensitive. But we’re not here to learn to type English, that’s why there is typo lenience on the Meaning cards.

6 Likes