📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Welcome to the “Read Japanese Every Single Day” Challenge, Winter Edition! :snowman_with_snow::snowflake:

A fresh and shiny new thread for a fresh and shiny new challenge season! :sparkles: If your New Year’s resolution is to read more in Japanese or work through your backlog of manga/novels, this might be just the challenge you’re looking for. If you missed the previous Read Every Day challenges, feel free to jump in on this one! We would love to have more people join in on the fun and experience the magic of the challenge :sparkles:

A little history behind this challenge: last summer, @Redglare had the awesome idea of doing a “Read Every Day” challenge, where we challenged ourselves to read something in Japanese every day for 2 whole months - we liked this challenge so much that we decided to make it a recurring thing! :grin: The Fall Challenge was lots of fun, with tanuki and other adorable creatures galore :raccoon: What new things will await us in the Winter Challenge? Only time will tell! :eyes: Spoiler alert: there will probably be more adorable creatures

Why is this challenge so special, or what makes it unique? Well, we think it’s a combination of the short/limited time frame, the habit-focused (versus output-focused) approach to the goal of “reading more,” and the general atmosphere of camaraderie and community spirit that’s been present in each challenge thread thus far ^^ I can say from personal experience that these challenges have helped me read way more than I would have otherwise.

Whether you are an expert reader already or a new reader just starting out, everyone is welcome to participate in this challenge! To quote @Redglare:

This is a thread for people who:

:bookmark: want to spend time reading a bunch this winter
:bookmark: want to improve their reading speed and comprehension
:bookmark: want to hold themselves accountable and have a place to document their progress
:bookmark: simply want to join in on the challenge of reading every day for two or so months :books: :books:

Time frame: January 1 - February 28

This is the “official” recommended time frame, but late starters are absolutely welcome! This thread will be up and running until the end of March, so you can start and finish your personal challenge at any point during that time, and shorten or lengthen the challenge to the time period that works best for you.

Your reading materials can be whatever you want, be it manga, light novels, books, visual novels, magazines, graded readers, satori reader, Japanese webpages/blogs, or Japanese games - you name it, anything goes as long as it is something in Japanese :jp: :durtle_the_explorer: “Reading” can be interpreted creatively, if that helps keep you motivated - for example, some people have counted reading Japanese subtitles as reading some days. In general, we are a pretty flexible and forgiving bunch :wink:

Threads worth checking out

I recommend checking out The News Reading Challenge thread if you’d like to read news articles every day, but you are of course welcome to post about it in this thread too if you’d like to.
The "news reading" challenge 🗞

If you don’t know where to find reading material I recommend checking out the Immersion/Reading section of the following thread:
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!

There’s also quite a few book clubs here on the forum, some of them have vocab lists which can make for an easier reading experience. A list of book clubs can be found here:
Master List of Book Clubs

Would you like to participate?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

33 Likes

Participants

Feel free to add your username to the list!
Note: please try to keep this alphabetical

Username Date Joined Days Completed
AnimeOverlord 1 Jan 2022 3
BadWeather 1 Jan 2022 59
Beyond_Sleepy 8 Jan 2022 50
BlueberryPear 7 Jan 2022 6
CharacterForming 23 Jan 2022 1
chamellow 1 Jan 2022 59
chrisosaurus 1 Jan 2022 6
Cruciarius 23 Jan 2022 19
Coyoteclaw11 11 Feb 2022 0
CyberSlam 1 Jan 2022 21
daleksbride 3 Jan 2022 40
downtimes 8 Jan 2022 51
eoame 1 Jan 2022 29
fallynleaf 1 Jan 2022 59
foxabell 1 Jan 2022 0
frankiefrank 1 Jan 2022 0
fustian_garb 1 Jan 2022 0
Hantsuki 1 Jan 2022 final count: 59
iterimpius 3 Jan 2022 12
jeylup 17 Jan 2022 1
KamratKarlsson 1 Jan 2022 4
kappaka 1 Jan 2022 1
Liveunderwater 1 Jan 2022 57
lucky_picks 9 Jan 2022 1
lucylavelle 1 Jan 2022 59
MaraVos 1 Jan 2022 every day so far
Marillanne 1 Jan 2022 36
meagstudies 1 Jan 2022 17
Merkuriy 6 Jan 2022 4
Mokke 2 Jan 2022 52
natarin 1 Jan 2022 59
Natsuha 1 Jan 2022 59
Neba 1 Jan 2022 0
NicoleRauch 1 Jan 2022 every day
NihongoLearner19 1 Jan 2022 50
Piruli 1 Jan 2022 0
pocketcat 1 Jan 2022 0
PumpkinWolf 1 Jan 2022 every day
Redglare 1 Jan 2022 59
rikaiwisdom 1 Jan 2022 42
saidahgilbert 1 Jan 2022 58
sansarret 1 Jan 2022 30
Scylie 1 Jan 2022 53
Shenmue 1 Jan 2022 4
skatefriday 1 Jan 2022 9
shinpachi 1 Jan 2022 48
Solstyce 3 Jan 2022 5
studybug 5 Jan 2022 1
sumsum 14 Jan 2022 45 final count
Sunstorm 21 February 2022 1
sycamore 1 Jan 2022 0
Sylph 1 Jan 2022 49
Thud 1 Jan 2022 90
tinywagashi 8 Jan 2022 13
Tolmekian 1 Jan 2022 1
Vonnutje 1 Jan 2022 35
wember 5 Jan 2022 5
WhimsyWorlds 1 Jan 2022 0
windupbird 1 Jan 2022 59
Xtian 2 Jan 2022 56 final count
yemi90 8 Jan 2022 2
Ylienna 1 Jan 2022 59
YumeMori 1 Jan 2022 6
yuskanji 1 Jan 2022 58
Zakarius 1 Jan 2022 59
20 Likes

Thanks for making the intro thread @windupbird! Excited for the start of the challenge :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: What better way to get through the dark winter months than read, read, read :snowflake::snowman::snowman_with_snow::books:

13 Likes

I attempted to make a calendar based on the one @chrisosaurus made last time [formatting problems fixed by @Redglare - thank you!]

Jan
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Feb
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
27 Likes

See if I can stick around longer this time around xD

For 2022 my goal is to finish my five volumes of ひげを剃る。そして女子高生を拾う。manga. I also want to read at least one novel this year. This will be my first novel so I am looking forward to stumble my way through that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Looking forward to reading everyone’s progress here!

17 Likes

Add an extra line between the two months and it should sort itself out :grin:

8 Likes

ah thank you, January has too many days! in so many ways

9 Likes

Thank you so much @windupbird again for setting up the thread!

Looking forward to having fun with you all again. I’m not sure what I’ll be reading this time, I have a couple options:

• 君の名は , bought it for the intermediate book club but ended up dropping it early. I feel like it could be a nice option right now and I’m sure the book club would be very useful.

• 星の王子さま , I bought it many years ago from a local store because I thought it was cute and it was fairly priced, and The Little Prince is an awesome book (that I remember close to nothing about). I thought it would be nice to read it in Japanese.

• Hukumusume web site, courtesy of @Zakarius , thanks for enlightening me! This one could actually be really interesting starting from Januray 1 since it’s divided in days and months of the year.

• Final Fantasy XIV, both my love and nemesis of the previous challenge :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: . It’s a hard resource, but I just can’t help myself, I keep going back to setting it in Japanese. I think it’s fair to say that it’s my all-time favourite game, for way too many reasons. I’m not up to the level to play the story comfortably in Japanese, there are so many things I don’t understand (and oh boy is it text heavy and with so many registers), and while that’s a negative point, there is also so much I can learn from it. It takes a lot of work though, it’s probably best to reserve it for when I’m not mentally drained.

• Other games. No one in particular but there are a few I can think of. I played Genshin Inpact when it released and I liked it, and now that it has a lot more updates might be a nice moment to play it again, this time in Japanese cause why not (I’m so glad I took the leap of starting to play games in Japanese, it doesn’t feel daunting anymore). I still have a bit of NieR:Automata to complete so there’s that. There’s also Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun that I want to play; I did for a while and it’s great because it’s also voiced, it’s a cool stealth game. Perhaps continue Stardew Valley, maybe even Animal Crossing, hmmm… Probably some other Final Fantasy, or perhaps Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch.

What are you all planning to read, have you thought about it or will you just go with the wind? :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Yay. I’ve been on a manga break, but my pile keeps getting bigger with all the free kindle stuff.

For this challenge I think I’ll keep my same guideline of reading a chapter per day, but if I want to read more I’ll not hold back.

Priority will be the spy x family volumes I still have left to read.

17 Likes

I’ve been playing about two months, and I’m really enjoying it (in eng tho)! I can play for short increments due to the way quests are set up which is nice, and the music and world is gorgeous. Patch 2.4 is coming soon with another lantern rite event I think. Both Niers are fantastic as well and I’m considering a replay in Japanese after work let’s up a bit in march.

I want to get through my backlog of (mostly free…) manga so I’m thinking I’ll join the challenge to try to do that, although I might not make every day with how busy my job is atm.

11 Likes

:tiger2: :books: Reading Tiger, Frozen Tanuki :snowflake: :raccoon:

一月
:tiger2:
:mount_fuji: :cloud_with_rain: :muscle: :fox_face: :bell: :herb: :bowl_with_spoon:
:zzz: :snowflake: :smile_cat: :bird: :princess: :volcano: :cherry_blossom:
:bamboo: :wolf: :carrot: :cat2: :fish: :raccoon: :snake:
:bamboo: :rock: :steam_locomotive: :hibiscus: :dumpling: :potable_water: :fox_face:
:wolf: :wind_face:
二月
:musical_note: :japanese_ogre: :beans: :crescent_moon: :baseball:
:mushroom: :teapot: :bird: :pray: :ear_of_rice: :tulip: :shell:
:cat2: :japanese_ogre: :chocolate_bar: :tangerine: :horse: :snowflake: :tiger2:
:fire: :frog: :black_cat: :raccoon: :arrow_up: :baby_chick: :crossed_swords:
:cherry_blossom: :cat2:
(Click the emojis to be whisked away to each reading day)

Looking forward to reading with everyone again!

I think I’ll be sticking with reading a daily Hukumusume story for the time being as my reading is still slow and patchy. But I’ll be seeing where the wind takes me, no doubt I’ll fall down some rabbit-hole along the way.

I would love to read some Japanese history at some point, though I realise this will be scary-difficult - butttt I’ll see what this challenge has in store!

Thanks for hosting the thread again, @windupbird ! :raccoon:

21 Likes

Hi! My first time trying to participate in a challenge like this while also engaging with the community- nice to meet everyone!
I have a whole bunch of manga on my kindle I want to knock out, and a whole bunch of textbooks I’m trying to get through.
I also want to try Genshin, I’ve tried before but it was really difficult for me haha. Do you guys have any tips to make sure I remember and keep myself accountable that have worked for you? I tend to forget completely but I’m gonna try real hard! I’m going to set notifications on my phone as a beginning safety net but if anyone else has any tips I’d love to hear them!!

Editing for calendar!

Jan
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Feb
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
22 Likes

I will participate in this thread again. Thanks to the Read Everyday Challenge threads I read over 5000 pages this year which is pretty much nothing considering that I probably still have around 100000 pages to read in my backlog.

Yeah I will read much more in 2022.

Jan
Week 00
Week 01
Week 02
Week 03
Week 04
Week 05
Feb
Week 05
Week 06
Week 07
Week 08
Week 09

Learn Natively
If you want to see what I’m reading or which books/manga I own you can click the link above.

To read list just for this event I have much reading material.

Games

Octopath Traveler
Dead Patient
Soul Sacrifice Delta

Books

本陣殺人事件
No Game no Life
パラサイト・イヴ
5分で読める恐怖のラストの物語

Visual Novels

Island
ものべの

19 Likes

I’m planning to do the extensive reading challenge /thread in the new year, but kind of want to join this to push myself into a habit of reading more articles online. Books are a set habit, but the writing style+vocab of casual (non news) web content is something I can see myself benefiting from reading more of.
Can I do both? Or better to stick everything into one place?

EDIT to add calendar so I don’t spam with a new post

Jan
Week 00
Week 01
Week 02
Week 03
Week 04
Week 05
Feb
Week 05
Week 06
Week 07
Week 08
Week 09
What I'll be reading

I’ll probably be reading some blog posts, meaning book articles, random stuff on p-dress (or similar content sites), and maybe some technical articles from Qiita so I can get more comfy with terminology in my field. Anything long form is fair game.

Goals

Just get into the groove of reading more non-literary Japanese. I’m very comfortable with books now, but my interaction with articles is largely “find the info I need and exit”; rarely do I read anything in depth. I think closer reading of this type of Japanese might help improve my own writing and maybe even speaking as I’ll get more exposure to how to naturally convey thoughts and opinions.

17 Likes

:bookmark: :books: :snowflake: Redglare’s summary post :snowflake: :books: :bookmark:

Jan
Week 52
Week 01
Week 02
Week 03
Week 04
Week 05
Feb
Week 05
Week 06
Week 07
Week 08
Week 09
March
Week 09
Week 10
Week 11
Week 12
Week 13

I like having checkboxes in my calendar because then I can click a box after each day. Satisfying! :durtle_love:

Books

My plan is to read some books with the book clubs:

If I have time, I’d like to start reading 本好きの下剋上 vol. 8, which is the first book of the third arc in the series.

Link to daily updates

I like having the links to my daily updates separate from my calendar.

January
                              01, 02,
03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09,
10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16,
17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23,
24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30,

February
      01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06,
07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13,
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,
21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27,

March
      01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06,
07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13,
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,
21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27,
28, 29, 30, 31.

Previous summary posts

24 Likes

Hi all,

I want to participate again! :hugs:

I’m planning to read:

• :church:   大聖堂 (The Pillars of the Earth) (new project with Japanese friend)
  • :prince:   星の王子さま (The Little Prince) (this is my sauna book because I’m not allowed to read digital books there)
  • :twisted_rightwards_arrows:   ifの悲劇 (had this in my pile for sooo long already)
  • :sailboat:   沖で待つ (new project with German friend)
  • :cloud:   雲をつかむ話 (reading ch. 1 with the German-Italian Reading Circle)
  • :shinto_shrine:   聖お兄さん (started 100 years ago with the book club but never finished)
  • plus I need to clean up a few manga that I started but never finished

I already finished:

• :barber:   海の見える理髪店 (need to finish this one for good! Only 60 or so pages to go)
  • :crossed_swords:   鬼滅の刃3 (started recently but did not get very far yet)
  • :bread:   しあわせのパン (I want to watch the movie but I need to read the book first)
  • :abacus:   笑わない数学者 (with the book club, started on Dec 24th)
  • :cat2:   青の島と猫一匹 3 (started a loooong time ago)
  • :notebook:   Death Note 1 (with the Beginner Book Club)

I gave up on:

• :house:   本陣殺人事件 (with the book club, will appropriately start on Jan 1st)

Looking forward to reading again with all of you!

EDIT: I figured maybe a calendar would not be the worst of ideas after all :joy_cat: I will mark each day with the book(s) I read (or mainly read) on that day:

Jan
01 :barber: 02 :barber:
03 :abacus: 04 :abacus: :church: 05 :church: 06 :house: 07 :prince: :house: 08 :abacus: 09 :church:
10 :church: 11 :house: 12 :house: 13 :house: 14 :house: 15 :abacus: 16 :church:
17 :church: :crossed_swords: 18 :church: :crossed_swords: 19 :church: :crossed_swords: 20 :crossed_swords: 21 :prince: :crossed_swords: 22 :abacus: :notebook: 23 :crossed_swords: :abacus:
24 :church: 25 :church: 26 :church: :cat2: 27 :church: 28 :cat2: 29 :abacus: :prince: 30 :church:
31 :church: :twisted_rightwards_arrows:
Feb
01 :twisted_rightwards_arrows: 02 :twisted_rightwards_arrows: 03 :twisted_rightwards_arrows: 04 :twisted_rightwards_arrows: 05 :abacus: :prince: 06 :church:
07 :church: :bread: 08 :bread: 09 :bread: 10 :bread: 11 :bread: 12 :abacus: :bread: 13 :church: :bread:
14 :bread: 15 :bread: :cat2: 16 :bread: 17 :bread: 18 :bread: :abacus: 19 :bread: 20 :bread:
21 :abacus: 22 :abacus: :twisted_rightwards_arrows: 23 :twisted_rightwards_arrows: 24 :sailboat: 25 :sailboat: 26 :abacus: :sailboat: 27 :abacus: :sailboat:
28 :church: :sailboat:
Mar
01 :church: 02 :sailboat: 03 :sailboat: 04 :sailboat: 05 :prince: :sailboat: 06 :sailboat: :cat2:
07 :cat2: 08 :sailboat: 09 :notebook: 10 :sailboat: 11 :sailboat: 12 :notebook: 13 :notebook:
14 :notebook: 15 :notebook: 16 :notebook: 17 :notebook: :cloud: 18 :cloud: :shinto_shrine: 19 :cloud: 20 :cloud:
21 :cloud: 22 :cloud: 23 :sailboat: 24 :sailboat: 25 :sailboat: 26 :sailboat: 27 :sailboat:
28 :sailboat: 29 :sailboat: 30 :sailboat: 31 :sailboat:
21 Likes

First of all, welcome! :grin: Glad to have you join us! In terms of remembering to read daily, I think making it a specific part of my daily routine has helped me. For past challenges, my routine has been, I get home from work/finish working, eat dinner, then read as much or as little as I’m feeling up to that day (usually shooting for at least half an hour of time). Then I post an update here before launching into my “I’m done with the day” activities (which usually means watching TV for hours on end because once I start, I find it very difficult to stop :sweat_smile:). Not sure if that’s super helpful, but that’s what I do - I think posting in the thread daily can be really helpful in terms of accountability, and/or creating a calendar “main post” to check off boxes for each day that you read.

You can absolutely do both! The two definitely aren’t mutually exclusive (and can even be complementary to one another, since they have slightly different focuses/time frames/approaches to goal setting). If you’d like to set book reading goals in the tadoku thread and use this thread to work on reading other types of content, you’re more than welcome to do so ^^ I say use whatever thread or combination of threads you feel like will work best for you and what you’d like to do/accomplish.

15 Likes

Absolutely agree! It’s what hooked me the most, I thought both were amazing :slightly_smiling_face: .

It only takes one post from @windupbird to enslave the minds of half of the thread towards cute animals and dark ways. Prevail, everyone! :eyes: hisssss Just kidding, please do.

First of all, welcome! :tada: I hope you have a good time in the community.

As for your question, I would personally recommend to ditch anything you’re not really feeling. You don’t have to finish things just because you started them necessarily; if you don’t enjoy it anymore, I’d say throw it away and pick something new that you do. Unless you do enjoy it but are currently going through a dry moment, in which case I personally think it’s fine to push through, if you are nonetheless interested in what’s happening next or something like a dry resource, like textbooks and so on. Other than that, as @windupbird mentioned, I think posting updates frequently (many of us do it daily) and engaging with the thread’s discussion or simply posting what you did is a huge help that keeps you coming back every day to the dynamic of reading → posting, and so on. Ultimately I think it’s healthy to have a balance between the challenge being work that can push your ability further, and also something that you enjoy doing.

14 Likes

I finally have time to join one of these! :tada:

:books: :snowman_with_snow: Home Post :snowman_with_snow: :books:

Calendar / Heat Map

| jan :snowflake:| 月 | 火 | 水 | 木 | 金 | 土 | 日 |
|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|
|Week 52 | | | | | | :orange_square: |:yellow_square: |
|Week 1| :yellow_square: | :yellow_square: | :yellow_square: | :orange_square: | :orange_square: | :red_square: | :yellow_square: |
|Week 2| :orange_square: | :red_square: | :orange_square: | :orange_square: | :orange_square: | :red_square: | :orange_square: |
|Week 3| :yellow_square: | :orange_square: | :red_square: | :red_square: | :yellow_square: | :yellow_square: | :black_square_button: |
|Week 4| :black_square_button: | :black_square_button: | :black_square_button: | :black_square_button: | :black_square_button: | :black_square_button: | :black_square_button: |
|Week 5| :black_square_button: || | | | | |

| feb :cloud_with_snow:| 月 | 火 | 水 | 木 | 金 | 土 | 日 |
|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|
|Week 5 | | :black_square_button: | :black_square_button: | :black_large_square: | :black_square_button: | :black_square_button: |:black_square_button: |
|Week 6| :black_square_button: | :black_square_button: | :orange_square: | :red_square: | :black_large_square: | :yellow_square: | :yellow_square: |
|Week 7| :red_square: | :yellow_square: | :orange_square: | :black_large_square: | :yellow_square: | :red_square: | :yellow_square: |
|Week 8| :yellow_square: | :yellow_square: | :yellow_square: | :black_large_square: | :yellow_square: | :black_large_square: | :yellow_square: |
|Week 9| :black_large_square: | | | | | | |
|⠀ | | | | | | | |

Key

:white_large_square: not filled in yet :black_large_square: did not read anything
:black_square_button: did read but I have no idea how much, turns out I’m horrible at remembering to track things :see_no_evil:
Read…
:yellow_square: … a little :orange_square: … a fair amount :red_square: … a lot

Days completed: 53/59

Goals
  • improve :running_woman:
  • finish/continue some of the many things I’ve started/bought already, or decide that I’m not interested anymore. Either way: sort through the mess that’s my currently reading/tbr pile and don’t start a million things at once :grimacing:
On tracking

I think I’d like to keep track of how much I’m reading to an extend, but without too much detail. Just out of curiosity because I seem to have no good sense of how regularily I’m actually reading. I’ve tried tracking time or pages before but that apparently just stresses me out and makes something feel like a chore that isn’t one at all, so I’d rather not do that again (even though I sort of envy people who do that and then have cool stats at the end!)
During the first or second challenge someone here used a system where they just tracked if they read “a little” or “a lot” or something like that, roughly estimated without a timer - I really like that concept! I can’t for the life of me remember who that was, whoever you are, I hope it’s ok that I’m stealing your idea :pray:

Reading list (for now)

novels / light novels

• 地球星人 (book club! :books:)
  • NO. 6 volume 2 (I have maybe 20 pages left of vol. 1, I’m gonna be optimistic and assume I can still finish it this year)

manga

• Death Note Vol. 1 (book club! :notebook:)

games

• Doreamon Story of Seasons :woman_farmer: :carrot:

+ maybe other stuff from my tbr/currently reading pile.

Things I actually read during the challenge

novels / light novels

• 地球星人 (20% - 51%) :alien:
  • orange (0% - 100%) :love_letter:
  • NO. 6 book #2 (0%-100%) :rat:
  • NO. 6 book #3 (0%- 28%) :mouse2:

manga

• Death Note volume #1 (some) :notebook:

I’ve followed the other two threads to an extend but this is the first time I’m joining in - looking forward to seeing what you’re all reading! :slightly_smiling_face:

18 Likes

I’m joining in! :sparkles: After a major case of burn out in Autumn I’d like to be held accountable whilst building a small habit back up so I can move back to more challenging material in spring.

Accountability Overview:

Jan
Week 52
Week 01
Week 02
Week 03
Week 04
Week 05
Feb
Week 05
Week 06
Week 07
Week 08
Week 09
What I'll be reading

In short, I’d like to read one page a day of anything. If I don’t have to look up a word or anything because I can’t figure out context then I’ll read another page (and another, and another, until I have to look something up, but maybe I’ll stop at 50 pages haha).

レンタルおにいちゃん - My first focus will be continuing with this as I think I dropped off somewhere in vol.2, so I’ll start that again from the beginning. If I manage to get through vol.2, I’ll either start vol.3 or switch back to よつばと!. These should be easy enough that I’ll either start wanting to move on to something more difficult again, or manage to make significant progress through each series in 2022.

Animal Crossing - I stopped playing this in Japanese for a while, so I’m going to switch back. I’ll be logging in to check turnip prices twice a day so if I don’t plan on playing any more than that on a specific day, making sure I fit in one conversation with an islander per day along with a turnip price check is a good start to building confidence back there.

Pokemon Cafe ReMix - Already playing this in Japanese, maybe I should actually log in every day to play a level rather than once a week for an easy bit of immersion?

I’ve started reading Barks articles just on the side because I’m enjoying learning new ways to talk about music, but I don’t really want to set any targets here.

Progress updates

28/12/21: Joined the challenge! :raised_hands:t2:
1/1/22: Completed my NYE countdown on Animal Crossing in Japanese, spent half an hour talking to my islanders and read a whole chapter of レンタルおにいちゃん Vol.2.
2/1/22: About 30 minutes of Animal Crossing, making sense of the Tetris 99 daily challenges, and 37 pages of レンタルおにいちゃん Vol.2.
3/1/22: About 30 minutes of Animal Crossing, and finished chapters 2 and 3 of レンタルおにいちゃん Vol.2.
4/1/22: About 15 minutes of Animal Crossing, and all of chapter 4 of レンタルおにいちゃん Vol.2. (And it got sad :pleading_face:)
5/1/22: About 15 minutes of Animal Crossing, couple of levels of Pokemon Cafe ReMix and chapter 5 of レンタルおにいちゃん Vol.2. This rounds out Vol.2 entirely for me and wow was this volume an emotional rollercoaster.
6/1/22: Not too much reading done today as it was my birthday and I had a busy day, but I did start レンタルおにいちゃん Vol.3 and get 27 pages in!
7/1/22: Finished off chapters 11 and 12 of レンタルおにいちゃん (Vol.3) today, for a total of 48 pages reading.
8/1/22: Read 10 pages of chapter 13 of レンタルおにいちゃん (Vol.3).
9/1/22: Read a very short BARKS article about Daichi Miura’s rescheduled 2019 tour just so I’ve read something today. :sweat_smile:
10/1/22: Read 20 pages of レンタルおにいちゃん (Vol.3) to finish up chapter 13.
11/1/22: Read 11 pages of chapter 14 of レンタルおにいちゃん (Vol.3).
12/1/22: Read 4 pages of chapter 14 of レンタルおにいちゃん (Vol.3).
13/1/22: Played Animal Crossing for about 20 mins, and read another 20 pages of レンタルおにいちゃん (Vol.3) to finish off Chapter 14!
14/1/22: Read 49 pages of レンタルおにいちゃん to finish off chapter 15, and close off vol.3!
15/1/22: 30 mins of Animal Crossing, and read 38 pages of レンタルおにいちゃん vol.4, finishing off chapter 16.
16/1/22: 30 mins of Animal Crossing, and 39 pages of レンタルおにいちゃん vol.4, finishing off chapter 17.
17/1/22: A little bit of Animal Crossing, and 48 pages of レンタルおにいちゃん vol.4, finishing off chapter 18.
18/1/22: 10 pages of レンタルおにいちゃん vol.4, starting chapter 19. Making sense of my Garmin stress and body battery alerts after my tattoo appointment.
19/1/22: Half hour of Animal Crossing, making more sense of my Garmin stress and body battery alerts post-tattoo appointment, and watching Book of Boba Fett with Japanese subtitles.
20/1/22: Half hour of Animal Crossing, some Mario Kart, and reading 100~ pages of レンタルおにいちゃん vol.4 to finish off the series. :sob:
21/1/22: Half hour of Animal Crossing, 19 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1, and page 6 of れつ!ハイキュー?! vol.1
22/1/22: 11 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1, and page 7 of れつ!ハイキュー?! vol.1.
23/1/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing, and page 8 of れつ!ハイキュー?! vol.1.
24/1/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing, and page 9 of れつ!ハイキュー?! vol.1.
25/1/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing, 7 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1, and page 10 of れつ!ハイキュー?! vol.1.
26/1/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing, 9 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1 to finish off chapter 1, and page 10 of れつ!ハイキュー?! vol.1.
27/1/22: 7 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1, and an NHK Easy News article about Coronavirus booster jabs in Tokyo and Osaka.
28/1/22: 6 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1.
29/1/22: 5 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1.
30/1/22: NHK Easy News article about a 19 year old getting questioned by police over taking photos of a university entrance exam with her smartphone, and posting the photos on a tutoring website.
31/1/22: An article on BARKS about this years NME Award nomination shortlists. TIL that NME awards now covers gaming and film. Mostly this was an exercise in parsing large amounts of katakana.

1/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and an article on BARKS about the new Age Factory song being used as the theme song for the film 「 今はちょっと、ついてないだけ」.
2/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and following the Japanese subtitles on this week’s episode of Book of Boba Fett.
3/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing, and 3 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1 which was mostly me trying to parse Yamazaki’s first tall tale of the volume. :sweat_smile:
4/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 11 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1.
5/2/22: 7 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1 (which were a cheat few pages because there was barely any text but I was tired and overworked :joy:).
6/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 13 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1 to close out Chapter 2.
7/2/22: 10 minutes of Animal Crossing and 11 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1.
8/2/22: 40 minutes of Animal Crossing and 14 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1.
9/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 22 pages of カードキャプターさくら クリアカード編 vol.1.
10/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 13 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
11/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 5 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
12/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 6 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
13/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and an NHK Easy News article about figure skating and snowboarding medals picked up at the Winter Olympics.
14/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 4 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
15/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 5 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
16/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 9 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
17/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 7 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
18/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 6 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1 to finish off chapter 1.
19/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 7 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
20/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 4 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
21/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and Tobira textbook reading passages.
22/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 5 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
23/3/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 4 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
24/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 6 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
25/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 4 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
26/2/22: Tobira readings.
27/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 4 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.
28/2/22: 30 minutes of Animal Crossing and 4 pages of ハイキュー!! vol.1.

22 Likes