📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

:+1: Got you! I added your name and a link to your calendar “home” post to the participants list - if you want, you can update the participants list post daily with the number of days you’ve read (you should be able to edit the participants list post with the “Edit” button at the bottom right corner of the post).

6 Likes

Okay great! Thank you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just read a little bit from the ものべの visual novel today.

騙す だます to trick; to cheat; to deceive N2
手口 てぐち modus operandi; criminal technique; trick
油断も隙もない ゆだんもすきもない one must constantly be on one’s guard with …; one cannot be too careful of …
端ない はしたない improper; immodest; disgraceful

16 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

January 1
・Starting off the winter challenge by reading (わら)わない数学者(すうがくしゃ), which is the third book in the Saikawa & Moe series. I somehow read the whole bulk of week 2 of the schedule we’re following in the book club in just one day. :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:

Progress: (13% → 22%)

But hey, that means I have the rest of the week I can spend on catching up on the かがみの孤城(こじょう) book club. I’m on week 1 at around 5%.

note to self: edit days completed in the table in the second post of the thread
edit: haha, I’ve gotten so used to my tiny daily updates it looks so big now that it’s not written in tiny anymore

Thank you @windupbird for setting up the thread! :durtle_love: I really like how the opening post turned out :durtle_noice:

19 Likes

Pro tip for those who link back to their daily updates in their summary posts:

By editing the part of the url that is the “title of the thread” into just an “x”, the url becomes much shorter and the summary post will be a bit easier to edit later.

14 Likes

I really fell off the band wagon during the autumn challenge and desperately need to get my reading back on track!

Jan
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Feb
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Reading log
  1. 五兵衛と津波 (Taishukan Graded Reader - Level 3) 100%
  2. 海幸山幸 (Taishukan Graded Reader - Level 3) 100%
  3. よだかの星 (Taishukan Graded Reader - Level 3) 100%
  4. 梨とり兄弟 (Taishukan Graded Reader - Level 3) 100%
  5. 天狗の鼻 (Taishukan Graded Reader - Level 3) 100%
  6. 魔女の多急便 - Chapter 3
17 Likes

Thanks @Redglare and @windupbird for sharing your experience! You convinced me to try doing daily updates (or at least as regular as I have time/energy for). I’ll try to keep them concise, at least until I figure out what format I enjoy the most. I just realized that I spent about 30 minutes writing this post :expressionless:

Summary post

January 1 update:
Today was a bit hectic, so I only managed to read half of chapter 4 of よつばと! I must say, Jumbo is using quite some dense vocab when he gets emotional. One of his speech bubbles was 9 straight kanji with no okurigana or whatever grammar points – I didn’t even realize such phrases are possible :joy:

BTW, @chamellow, I think it’s quite likely that I continue with よつばと! after vol.1, so looking forward to reading along with you!

And thanks @vonnutje for your advice, it applies to me perfectly :sweat_smile: I’ve been SRSing a lot of words I was finding while reading, which made the process extra tedious as well as possibly inefficient (since I’m likely running into the same words repeatedly). So I’ve been leaning towards the approach you described, and now I decided that I’ll give it a try. I’ll read for maybe a week or so without SRSing any new words, but still saving the words I look up (that I would otherwise SRS), and then will see how many of them I still remember. If I end up with a reasonable amount, I guess I’ll continue like this. Thanks again for helping flesh out my vague intention!

17 Likes

Big progress, no longer tiny :eyes:

10 Likes

Summary table

First day done! Woo! For the last few days I’ve been reading 呪術廻戦 - trying to get through the first 8 volumes before the limited time free period runs out on 6 January. I finished the last chapter of volume 4 today and then read volume 5. I only set aside an hour and a half to read but ended up reading for a bit over 2 hours, oddly enough because volume 5 on the whole was kind of disappointing as it was mainly fight scenes between quite newly introduced characters that I’m not really invested in yet so I kept reading on wanting to get back to the characters/plot I care about more. But I can’t complain, that is pretty much textbook shonen manga and I think the next volume will return to being more interesting.

19 Likes

Hahaha, that’s Jumbo! Me and some friends do a biweekly よつばと reading club (we’re currently finishing up volume 4) and there’s a lot of moments where we are like ‘are we not understanding the Japanese here or is Jumbo just saying something really weird again?’ :rofl: I love よつばと so much, it’s such an enjoyable manga.

13 Likes

Today I read chapter 8 of Way of the Househusband and chapter 32 of Yotuba!

That’s ~39 pages, which might be the most pages I’ve read in a day so far. It feels ultra satisfying to read in chapters, rather than “however many pages I can get in before losing my brain or bedtime whichever comes first”.

I might read after dinner too. Not sure yet. :raccoon:

19 Likes

Home Post

Happy New Year! Today I read たったひとつのことしか知らない by Honda and it was super good! It’s a short story of 60ish pages and I recommend it!!! :star_struck:

15 Likes

Jan 1 update :snowflake: summary post

Started off this challenge with a new Satori Reader story: Kona’s Big Adventure! I’ve been waiting to start it since I originally wanted to wait until I was done with Akiko’s Foreign Exchange, but I’m almost done with Akiko now and I’m ready to start something new

So far it’s pretty simple, it’s marked as intermediate but the two chapters (episodes?) I read were very easy to get through. I’ll probably read a bit more of it today

18 Likes

Just a bump to my calendar post as I’ve updated it a little and could use some more study log followers as I begin my manga journey :slight_smile:

8 Likes
Jan
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Feb
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Summary

A silent participant of the fall challenge, I’d like to make a space to track my progress this time around. Even if its just another day of どうぶつの森, I still consider it daily reading practice. I’m hoping this challenge will motivate me to go beyond Animal Crossing and book club books.

Reading

Currently reading along with the When will Ayumu Make His Move offshoot club, the Mitsuboshi Colors club, and The Way of the House Husband club. I’m set to start Death Note club. Recently started よつばと!vol1 and Chainsaw Man vol1. I’d like to finish Tokyo Ghoul 1, One Punch Man 1, グランブルー1and the first 君の名は(manga edition). That’s a whole lot of first editions to wrap up!
Currently playing Animal Crossing on a daily basis but have started to mix in Biohazard 4 and 5. I’d like to start Eastward and No More Heroes 3.

19 Likes

Is that like a “this thread” alias?

3 Likes

I finished reading five pages of a girl’s magazine (manga style) called ちゃお. There were words for sound effects, proper nouns, and slang/shortened expressions, which made it a little more difficult. I came across a couple words I thought were interesting.

擦りむく–すりむく–to skin (one’s knee); to graze; to scratch
飛び下りる–とびおりる–to jump down; to jump off; to jump from; to jump out of

Happy New Year to Everyone

16 Likes

Summary Post

Day 1: Today I read 9 pages of The Way of the Househusband. Happy new year, everyone!

18 Likes

Ooh, I’d love to hear your thoughts on ちゃお as you read more! I’m very curious about magazines. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is my first time participating in a reading challenge! Thank you for putting it together and continuing throughout the season!

Jan
01✅ 02:white_check_mark:
03:white_check_mark: 04:white_check_mark: 05:white_check_mark: 06:white_check_mark: 07:white_check_mark: 08:white_check_mark: 09:white_check_mark:
10:white_check_mark: 11:white_check_mark: 12:white_check_mark: 13:white_check_mark: 14:white_check_mark: 15:white_check_mark: 16:white_check_mark:
17:white_check_mark: 18:white_check_mark: 19:white_check_mark: 20:white_check_mark: 21:white_check_mark: 22:white_check_mark: 23:white_check_mark:
24:white_check_mark: 25:white_check_mark: 26:white_check_mark: 27:white_check_mark: 28:white_check_mark: 29:white_check_mark: 30:white_check_mark:
31:white_check_mark:
Feb
01:white_check_mark: 02:white_check_mark: 03:white_check_mark: 04:white_check_mark: 05:white_check_mark: 06:white_check_mark:
07:white_check_mark: 08:white_check_mark: 09:white_check_mark: 10:white_check_mark: 11:white_check_mark: 12:white_check_mark: 13:white_check_mark:
14:white_check_mark: 15:white_check_mark: 16:white_check_mark: 17:white_check_mark: 18:white_check_mark: 19:white_check_mark: 20:white_check_mark:
21:white_check_mark: 22:white_check_mark: 23:white_check_mark: 24:white_check_mark: 25:white_check_mark: 26:white_check_mark: 27:white_check_mark:
28:white_check_mark:
Planned Reading
  • なぜ?どうして?みぢかなぎもん (1年生)
  • 10分で読めるほんとうにあった感動物語 (1年生)
  • 1・2年生漢字ドリル
  • なぜ?どうして?科学のお話 (2年生)
  • なぜ?どうして?もっと科学のお話 (2年生)
  • 10分で読めるほんとうにあった感動物語 (2年生)
  • 10分で読める電気 (2年生)
  • 10分で読めるお話 (2年生)
  • 10分で読める音読 (2年生)

Depending on the difficulty of all the lack of kanji in the 1st grade readings, I might start with the 2nd grade books and move to 1st grade assuming I’ve covered a lot of vocab in WK and can more accurately guess the meaning of the hiragana in the stories. Right now the list looks a little large, but I just wanted to start with the books I have on hand now. My goal is to finish at least 2 of them and get through the kanji drills for both grades (that I can find).

Currently Reading
  • Pocket Monsters Special Vol 2
  • 絶叫学級 転生 2
  • 獣の奏者1
  • なぜ?どうして?みぢかなぎもん (1年生)
  • 夜カフェ1
Finished
  • Pocket Monsters Special Vol 1
  • 絶叫学級 転生 1
Day 1

I was really tired from the NYE party, so I spent most of the day sleeping and taking care of baby. Since it was a survival day, I decided to cut myself some slack. I got through the 5 NHK Easy News articles. The one about the sumo wrestlers was the hardest to sift through because it had kanji and sumo terms I wasn’t familiar with. It was good practice though.

We caught the last part of Charlie’s Angels 2 on cable after midnight, so we watched it in English (after watching Home Alone in Japanese - but it was a recording so it didn’t have subtitles). We had to keep it down because everyone else was asleep so we took turns reading out the Japanese subtitles sometimes. When we got tired of it, I just read the subtitles to myself. Surprisingly it was an easy read. Also saw a word that appeared recently in WK: 屋上 when the sign for Roof Access was displayed.

March Progress

Days 60~62: Finished 恐怖授業転生2 and started vol 3

I’ll be linking the rest of the posts via the dates on the calendar.

17 Likes