Almost Level 60, advice for next steps

At that level I’d say you can read about anything that the Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 舞妓さんちのまかないさん read over time, namely

• Kiki’s Delivery Service (some complained that the language is a bit flowery)
  • The Girl who Leapt through Time (the writing style of the author is not very good, but if you read it from a learner’s perspective, it should be ok)
  • The Mysterious Sweet Shop (I found it to be quite heavy wrt onomatopoeia but otherwise nice)
  • Mysterious Town behind the Mist (starts off with a bit of dialect, but this gets better in the later chapters)

On top of these, the Beginner book club will start a new book called “Night Café” in about 6 weeks. I only checked the first page but I thought it’s quite a nice and easy read.

With the book clubs, you have the advantage that there are usually lots of questions and answers, and you can even ask further questions even though the clubs are finished. There are usually still people around who will be happy to help you out. And of course, reading a book with an ongoing book club is even more fun.

By the way, do you know the 📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄ ? It’s a nice place where people discuss what they read and how they liked it and stuff, it’s great to get some inspiration there! The current challenge ends on Feb 28th, but you can still hop in if you like. Also, the next challenge is supposed to start on April 1st.

3 Likes