๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 โ˜ƒโ„

:tiger2: :books: Homepost - Tigerdate: 20220226 :books: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll LVII: ไบŒใƒปไบŒๅ…ญไบ‹ไปถ :crossed_swords:

Today was the day of the 2-26 Incident, were, in 1936, a group of young Imperial Japanese Army officers attempted a coup dโ€™รฉtat intending to overthrow the government.

Itโ€™s a very long article, so Iโ€™ve only managed to make a small dent in it; not to mention that there was practically a new word every other word. I also forgot how daunting Wiki articles are with their kanji use :fearful:

Days like these remind me that my Japanese proficiency is probably at about 1% :laughing:

โ˜† Learnings โ˜†

New Words (I'll be surprised if I even remember a quarter of these)

ใ‚ฏใƒผใƒ‡ใ‚ฟใƒผ ใƒผ Coup dโ€™รฉtat (one case were the Japanese spelling is actually a lot easier to remember)
่œ‚่ตทใ€Œใปใ†ใใ€ใƒผ Uprising; Revolt
่ฆไบบใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใ˜ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Important Person
ๅ ๆ‹ ใ€Œใ›ใ‚“ใใ‚‡ใ€ใƒผ Occupation (of a territory eg.)
ๆœ€็ต‚็š„ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใฆใใ€ใƒผ Final; Ultimate; Eventual
ๅธฐ้‚„ใ€Œใใ‹ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผRepatriation; Return
ๅŽๆŸใ€Œใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใใใ€ใƒผ Conclusion; Resolution; Convergence; Coming together
็ท่พž่ทใ€Œใใ†ใ˜ใ—ใ‚‡ใใ€ใƒผ Mass resignation
ๆ€ๆƒณ็Šฏใ€Œใ—ใใ†ใฏใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Ideological offence; The crime of expressing dangerous ideology; Thought crime
ๅˆๆœŸใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใใ€ใƒผ Early days; Early years; Initial stages
ใ‚นใƒญใƒผใ‚ฌใƒณ ใƒผ Slogan
ๅฝ“ๅˆใ€Œใจใ†ใ—ใ‚‡ใ€ใƒผ Outset; Beginning; Start
้ฆ–่„ณใ€Œใ—ใ‚…ใฎใ†ใ€ใƒผ Head; Leader; Top
ๅฐ้ ญใ€ŒใŸใ„ใจใ†ใ€ใƒผ Rise (of a movement); Emergence; Gaining prominence
็›ฎ้šœใ‚Šใ€Œใ‚ใ–ใ‚ใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Eyesore; Unpleasant sight
ไธปๅฐŽใ€Œใ—ใ‚…ใฉใ†ใ€ใƒผ Leadership; Initiative; Spearhead
้ƒจไธ‹ใ€Œใถใ‹ใ€ใƒผ Subordinate

Historic/Military Things
็š‡้“ๆดพใ€Œใ“ใ†ใฉใ†ใฏใ€ใƒผ Imperial Way Faction (a political faction of the Japanese Imperial Army in the 1920s & 30s - it wasnโ€™t officially recognised by the army).
ๅฐ†ๆ กใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ“ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Commissioned Officer
ไธ‹ๅฃซๅฎ˜ใ€Œใ‹ใ—ใ‹ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Uncommissioned Officer
ๅŽŸ้šŠใ€Œใ’ใ‚“ใŸใ„ใ€ใƒผ Your unit (in an army); Oneโ€™s home unit
ๅฒก็”ฐๅ†…้–ฃใ€ŒใŠใ‹ใ ใชใ„ใ‹ใใ€ใƒผ The Okada Cabinet, the cabinet of Prime Minister Okada from 1934 to 1936.
ๅธซๅ›ฃใ€Œใ—ใ ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ Army Division

Places
ๆฐธ็”ฐ็”บใ€ŒใชใŒใŸใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Nagata-Cho - Japanโ€™s political centre, a bit like Downing Street.
้œžใƒถ้–ขใ€Œใ‹ใ™ใฟใŒใ›ใใ€ใƒผ Kasumigaseki - district in Tokyo were most of Japanโ€™s government ministry offices are.
ๆบ€ๅทžใ€Œใพใ‚“ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Manchuria, a historic name for a large region of northeast Asia.

Additional Meanings
ๆœช้‚ใ€Œใฟใ™ใ„ใ€ใƒผ Attempt - this is on WK, but it only states โ€œattemptโ€ which is a bit ambiguous in the outcome, looking it up ๆœช้‚ can have the nuance of โ€œfailed attemptโ€.

Forgotten Meanings

ๅ›ฐ็ชฎใ€Œใ“ใ‚“ใใ‚…ใ†ใ€ใƒผ Poverty

21 Likes