๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 โ˜ƒโ„

:tiger2: :books: Homepost - Tigerdate: 20220123 :books: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll XXIII: ใปใ‚‰ใตใใฎ็ซน :bamboo:

Read todayโ€™s folktale from Gunma Prefecture!

About three merchants who get talking in an inn, and try to wow each other with impressive feats of their hometowns. One of them tells a lie that massive bamboo grows in his hometown (to make a huge bath for Buddha too), the other two, intrigued, insist that they go see it, and he rushes back to his wife for help.

Also attempted Nioh 2 in Japanese again last night, just to check that it was indeed difficult readingโ€ฆ and yep, still beyond me. Iโ€™ll see if I have any other games that let me play in Japanese.

This was on a different story, but please enjoy this image of a fox and a cat enjoying a kotatsu together:

I think this is intended for you to colour in, I just love how happy they are

โ˜† Learnings โ˜†

New Words

ใใ‚Œใžใ‚Œใ€Œๅคซใ‚Œๅคซใ‚Œใ€ใƒผ Each; Respectively
ๅ›ฝ่‡ชๆ…ขใ€Œใใซใ˜ใพใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ National or local pride; pride in the place youโ€™re from (province; village etc.)
ๅคฉไธ‹ใ€Œใฆใ‚“ใ‹ใ€ใƒผ The whole world; the whole country; society / the public
(though the meaning in this story is โ€œShogunโ€ but its use in that way is an archaism and will probably only show up in olde-timey stories like these)
ๆ„›ๆƒณใ‚ˆใใ€Œใ‚ใ„ใใ‚ˆใใ€ใƒผ hospitality, to greet someone in a warm friendly way
้ขจๅ‘‚ๆกถใฎใ‚ฟใ‚ฌใ€Œใตใ‚ใŠใ‘ใฎใŸใŒใ€ใƒผ the ring that goes around a bathtub (traditional Japanese bathub)

Alt Meanings
้‡Œใ€Œใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ An old unit of measurement 1้‡Œ = 3.9km (approx.)

Places
่ถŠๅพŒใ€Œใˆใกใ”ใ€ใƒผ Echigo, former province in present-day Niigata Prefecture.
่”ตๅ‰ใ€Œใใ‚‰ใพใˆใ€ใƒผ Kuramae (Town)

Forgotten Meanings

ใŸใพใŸใพใ€Œๅถใ€…ใ€ใƒผ Occasionally; Unexpectedly; By Chance

22 Likes