📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

Day 22: January 25

• Satori reader - Human Japanese chapters 32-34

Still on a little break for now, but tomorrow my fiance will be gone for two days so that means I will have a lot of time to catch up with my reading :blush: :partying_face:

20 Likes

Today’s reading was 「開けっぴろげ」の意味とは!類語や例文など詳しく解釈 | Meaning-Book

The tl;dr is that it can mean either something left open/ajar or it can refer to someone who is very ‘open’ in the sense they don’t hide their feelings. I feel like for the second definition it might be similar to the English expression of someone “wearing their heart on their sleeve”.

18 Likes

This morning I read twenty three pages of ちゃお. I found a couple interesting words:

ビシャビシャ------soaked; drenched; sopping (onomatopoeic or mimetic word)

暗証番号------あんしょうばんごう------personal identification number; PIN; password number

18 Likes

Summary post

Summer Pockets: You know, I really really like visual novels as a medium for the things they do that you can’t get anywhere else. But I could go on and on for ages about things I don’t like in the medium. Summer Pockets sidesteps the… divisive to say the least issue of sexual content (which for the record I don’t play VNs for, but it’s often tacked onto really good stories as a means to help sell a super niche medium so I tolerate it at times). Being so niche can mean loads of creative freedom along with the questionable stuff. That aside, however you feel about it (no judgment here :heart:) it’s rare to find a VN without a few blemishes, times to roll my eyes, and I didn’t expect them to crop up much here, but suffice to say it did show its immature side a bit today. I’m still liking the total experience, but some jokes go a bit far being frivolous about things they shouldn’t and just don’t land at all, y’know? Guess it’s easier to overlook personally offputting moments in a medium where everything is 50+ hours long, haha.

Enough about that! Reading was a little trickier today because of narration and a lot of protagonist rumination, with a few sentences that really got me, but it could be worse. Today hit me with a big historical reference that I knew little about, but at least the dictionary could pick up the names it was referring to. Really all I needed to get was a name sounding vaguely similar to another. That said, a little research taught me about the Rokuhara Tandai, a sort of secret police around the 1200s, and that’s interesting info.

Today I met a new character, and I present, with no further comment, this face:

Most of the new words I mined today are more functional than super exciting on their own, but the one I’ll share is 尖った (とがった), “pointed/sharp.” It’s a kanji not featured on WK, so here’s hoping I can remember it.

Zoo 1: Have slowed down but I’ve read a few pages here and there recently, just barely crawling past the 50% point and onto the third short story. I’m digging it a lot. There are some very odd circumstances that the story has already heavily hinted at (unless they are misdirection?) but also it’s from the perspective of a kid, so the protagonist doesn’t quite seem to follow what’s happening. It’s cool.

23 Likes

Sorry for the double post, I forgot to respond!

Coffee again

Thank you, interesting stuff! I did the same kind of thing defaulting to Chemex… I feel like you and I are overall on the same wave. Like, I want my coffee to be nice, but as soon as it’s above that threshold I’m not super particular about it. It’s a drink I like the taste of a lot and even the small rituals of taking some particular care when making it are kind of meaningful to me, but I don’t need to chase down the absolutely perfect cup and fixate on changing what I’m doing.

My grinder is a Baratza Encore that I bought refurbished, that seemed to be about the cheapest way to get a good electric burr grinder. Must admit I’m not actually using a scale, there’s just a scoop that came with the aeropress that seems to give me a pretty good amount. It’s hard for me to break the habit of winging it when it comes to measurements in absolutely any kind of cooking too, haha. I have a similar gooseneck adjustable temperature kettle too, for when I was using pourover, but it’s still nice to have the right coffee temperature and I’ve been drinking a lot of tea recently too, which it’s great for.

I’m going to have to check out those Youtube channels! Can’t say I really know too much about any of that you referenced – I did a bit of research into how to make a reasonably good cup but I’ve not really engaged closer with internet coffee stuff. Your approach sounds nice though, for sure!

I’m the same exact way with coffee shops, yep. Though I’m forever sad that the nicest one I’ve ever known, which roasted their own beans in the shop and whatnot, went out of business. There are… ok ones left, but it’s unfortunate. I think that experience is second for me to going to a movie theater, if there are any left by the time I feel safe doing it, heh. They’re pretty much all bankrupt near me…

1 Like

Summary post :bookmark:

January 25

本好きの下剋上 8
Progress: (12% → 19%)

I love this book, it’s hilarious. Really made my day.

@chikorita157 I see you’re a new face in this thread. Welcome! :durtle_hello:

22 Likes

I got up early today and was tired the whole day. But still I managed to read 50 pages of なんでここに先生が!? 1. The
manga is not that interesting it’s full with ridiculous situations just to show the teacher naked but at least the characters are likeable.

余っ程 やぽっど very; greatly; much; considerably; to a large extent; quite
分量 ぶんりょう amount; quantity N2
ちょくちょく often; frequently; now and then; occasionally N1
もたれる to lean against; to lean on; to recline on N2
生意気 なまいき impertinent; cheeky; impudent; audacious; cocky
仕上げ しあげ finish; finishing; finishing touches N1
からって just because; even if; even though​
レシーブ receiving (a ball)​
必殺 ひっさつ bringing certain death; deadly; knockout (blow)

20 Likes

Summary post

January 25 update:
Read 5 pages of 時をかける少女 (chapter 18). This chapter was again quite heavy on explanations of recent scientific discoveries of year 2660 and Kazuo’s involvement, but it got better towards the end. The end of the chapter was a bit weird, and presumably set a new mood for the rest of the story.

21 Likes
January
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
February
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Engines ready, I shall read Into the Far North by Naoki Ishikawa, it’s about a real life journey he had around the world.
1/5 Books to read this year complete 2# starting today.

20 Likes

Day 25 :slight_smile:
I read Chapter 17 of レンタルおにいちゃん - this was a really intense chapter! I can’t wait to read the next one to see what happens… But its nearly midnight so I really can’t start reading another one!
Especially since I decided to fill in the vocab sheet as I’m reading since its completely blank for all of Volume 4. I’m not adding every word, but it still makes it take quite a bit longer for me to read!

I’m really looking forward to reading more after work tomorrow!

(Home Post)

20 Likes

So I tried 会長はメード様!1 but I can’t handle such wordy dialogue so I have put it aside for now. I decided to pick カードキャプターさくら 1 and just did 17 pages in one go. I did watch the anime for this and liked it and read a fan translation of the manga but that was many years ago. Reading the first few pages reminded me that Kero chan speaks a different dialect of Japanese than the standard Japanese dialect. I am finding it hard to parse his dialogue. Well, it’s only one volume of Cardcaptor Sakura I have. So far other than Kero’s speech, I can follow along with the plot in regards to deciphering the meaning. I am actually recognising quite a bit of kanji and vocabulary notwithstanding the furigana.

23 Likes

Home Post

I read another chapter of 時をかける少女. I was kinda hesitant and kept putting it off today until it was la~te at night, but in the end it was fun after all :heart: I don’t know why I was so hesitant, probably because I knew there was some important dialog ahead and that seemed intimidating. But we ARE getting to really important parts. I wonder if this is really Kazuo or what/who he is :eyes: I saw the title of the next chapter and that seems like maaaybe not, but what do I know. Now I kind of want to read more but it’s so late I should really sleep :sob: I guess that was self inflicted :joy:

22 Likes

Just a random stab here, I don’t know anything about the series, but it could be Kansai-ben? That’s the one I keep coming across most often, anyway. If so there’d be a lot of や instead of だ, へん for negatives, that sorta thing. If so, this site might be useful. I could be totally wrong, just hoping this might help.

12 Likes

Summary post

Day 25: January 25th

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑
Time spent: 16 min
Today’s color: 丹色 (にいろ) - sort of an earthy red

Today’s color was not named for anything per se, but the reading talked about 丹頂鶴 (たんちょうづる) - red-crowned cranes, and I like those

Look at the way the chicks sit on the moms and tell me it's not the most precious thing ever

picture201605130

I’m not trying to put birds in all my posts, it’s just happening

Some good words
  • 幅広い (はばひろい) - extensive; wide; broad
  • やや - a little; partially; somewhat; slightly; semi-; -ish; on the … side; a short time; a while
  • 雅 (みやび) - refinement; elegance; grace
  • 単なる (たんなる) - mere; simple; sheer
  • とどまる - to be limited to; to be confined to; to only account for
  • 梁 (はり) - beam; joist

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 10 min

Today’s reading talked about the coldest temperatures ever recorded in Japan (officially, it’s -41 degrees C). Apparently that is cold enough that you can hammer a nail with a banana (??? why is this a thing? :joy: There’s a commercial about it, and like multiple videos/blogs about it? Like…who is doing this, and why xD).

What else did I read?
お前、タヌキにならねーか? Vol 1
Amount read: 10 pages
Time spent: 31 min

Today’s chapter was so fun - we met a new character who is like…the anti-tanuki tanuki :rofl: His name is 小豆丸 but he likes to be called AZ because he’s an angsty lord of darkness. He gives me 邪エナガ vibes :joy: He basically tries to push people over the edge, but he ends up doing the complete opposite and making them realize that life’s still worth living. So he’s like…terrible, but also I like him xD He fails so thoroughly at what he’s ostensibly trying to do that it’s kind of endearing. And also he gets smacked upside the head with a purse lmao

Here’s a random between-chapter illustration of him that made me laugh

Good words
  • 巷では (ちまたでは) - kind of like “word on the street is…”
  • 偽善者 (ぎぜんしゃ) - hypocrite; dissembler; wolf in sheep’s clothing; fox in a lamb’s skin
  • ぐちゃぐちゃ - sloppy; untidy; in a disarray; chaotic
  • 司る (つかさどる) - to rule; to govern; to administer
  • 自業自得 (じごうじとく) - paying for one’s mistakes; getting one’s just deserts; suffering the consequences (of one’s own actions); reap what you sow​
25 Likes

Summary Post

Day 25: Today I read 6 pages of よつば&!

22 Likes

January 25 :snowflake: Home Post

Today was a bare minimum kind of day; I was busy basically all day so I didn’t get to read until it was already late and sleepy brain + Japanese = no bueno :joy: That’s okay though, I read a page of (かぜ)つよ anyway, and I got a lot done so I should be able to read more tomorrow! But now… I’m going to bed, I’m tired lmao

Obligatory cool words

矍鑠(かくしゃく) - vigorous (in old age)
脚色(きゃくしょく) - dramatization, embellishment
(ちゃ)() - living room

21 Likes

Home post

Day 24:

日本語: I read a fair amount of 伯爵と妖精 31.
Read-aloud: We read a chapter of ハイキュー.

中国語

中国語: I read an intermediate entry on Mandarin Bean, one page of 擅长捉弄的高木同学, and a bit of 孩子最爱读的中国民间故事.

23 Likes

You’re completely right @Daisoujou, Kero speaks in Kansai-ben!
As someone who is reading through the クリアカード arc, thanks so much for this link - I’ve seen this site before a long time ago but completely forgot about it. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

:house:

Day 26! Last day of holidays — I got home late in the evening and need to sleep soon, so I only read pages 201 and 202 of Kiki today.

I can read most pages fairly quickly now, which means I can take a more relaxed approach on reading in Japanese — like I did as a bookworm novel-loving kid I suppose, just read whatever I want, not focusing overly much on the details and understanding every single word and phrase (not like I did that anyway… I never could be bothered to translate every little bit of what I read).

19 Likes

It’s interesting how different that works for different learners. It’s probably because I was in Japan for a while with very very little language knowledge and had to make do. And at that point trying to translate everything was just futile. I mean in conversation even focusing on a word you kind of know and trying to remember it properly can take way too long, so I’m just really good at picking up clues here and there and just live with the uncertainty for the rest. So rather than being too mechanically accurate I’d say I’m just way too good at glossing over things and that is why it’s hard to feel emotionally connected.
I’m sure with more studying and a general increase in my language proficiency this will balance out eventually, but I just found it super interesting that I face a similar problem, but am coming from a different angle.

9 Likes