๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 โ˜ƒโ„

I feel like Iโ€™ve been in a weird rut with Japanese for a while, so I reset my WK and restarted Duolingo. This challenge is just what I need to find some motivationโ€”I feel like this challenge is the new approach and accountability Iโ€™ve been looking for! Thank you!

• Joined challenge: Jan 8, 2022
  • Last updated: Jan 26, 2022
Jan
ๆœˆ ็ซ ๆฐด ๆœจ ้‡‘ ๅœŸ ๆ—ฅ
01โœ— 02โœ—
03โœ— 04โœ— 05โœ— 06โœ— 07โœ— 08โ˜‘ 09โ˜‘
10โ˜‘ 11โ˜‘ 12โ˜‘ 13โ˜‘ 14โ˜‘ 15โ˜‘ 16โ˜‘
17โ˜‘ 18โœ— 19โ˜‘ 20โœ— 21โ˜‘ 22โœ— 23โœ—
24โœ— 25โœ— 26โ˜‘ 27โ˜ 28โ˜ 29โ˜ 30โ˜
31โ˜
Feb
ๆœˆ ็ซ ๆฐด ๆœจ ้‡‘ ๅœŸ ๆ—ฅ
01โ˜ 02โ˜ 03โ˜ 04โ˜ 05โ˜ 06โ˜
07โ˜ 08โ˜ 09โ˜ 10โ˜ 11โ˜ 12โ˜ 13โ˜
14โ˜ 15โ˜ 16โ˜ 17โ˜ 18โ˜ 19โ˜ 20โ˜
21โ˜ 22โ˜ 23โ˜ 24โ˜ 25โ˜ 26โ˜ 27โ˜
28โ˜
What I'm reading

Iโ€™ll be reading articles and other things online:

• Graded readers and other books on Natively
  • Articles from Easy NHK/TOKAI
  • Posts on my Japanese Twitter feed, blogs I follow
  • Signs in Google Maps Street View and GeoGuessr
  • Articles Iโ€™m using for research our future move to Japan
  • Translations of the documentation I produce at work
  • Slowly working through ใ‚ˆใคใฐใจ! Dropped because I canโ€™t read the font that Yotsuba speaks in and I was getting frustratedโ€ฆ

One day I want to be able to read:

But Iโ€™m definitely not there yet :persevere::sweat_smile:

My progress so far
January 8, 2022
  • 10 news posts in my Japanese Twitter feed
  • Several apartment rental listings, including research on new apartment rental sites with pet-friendly and LGBT-friendly search options
  • Choya Yuzu soda can (lol)
  • Information on the packaging of various items in my Bokksu
  • Iโ€™ve just started reading ใ‚ˆใคใฐใจ๏ผ After browsing through this thread, I decided to try it out. :slight_smile: Itโ€™s so cute!! โ€“ Vol 1, Chapter 1, pages 1-7
    • ใ‚‚ใ†ใ™ใใ ใžใƒผ ----- Weโ€™re almost thereโ€ฆ
January 9, 2022
  • ใ‚ˆใคใฐใจ๏ผ โ€“ Vol 1, Chapter 1, pages 8-9 (I wish there were more kanji; meaning would be clearer)
  • Twitter โ€“ posts about the Sapporo bear attack last year, other posts about life in Hokkaido (current hyperfocus)
  • Duolingo Stories โ€“ Completed the story โ€œThe Passportโ€
  • Graded reader on Natively โ€“ ใ‚ซใƒฉใ‚นใจๆฐดใ•ใ—, Level 0.
  • Not purely reading, but Iโ€™m having a duel for first place in my league on Duolingo, so Iโ€™m reading lots of new vocabulary today
January 10, 2022
  • Graded reader on Natively โ€“ ใ‚ทใƒฅใƒขใƒผใƒใ‚ฆใ‚น, Level 1 โ€” pages 1-7 {Recommended here by sosanlx}. Vocab and notes:
    • ๅŽŸๅญ็ˆ†ๅผพ - ใ’ใ‚“ใ—ใฐใใ ใ‚“ - Atomic Bomb
    • ๅบƒๅณถ - Hiroshima
    • ้•ทๅดŽ - Nagasaki
    • ใฉใ†ใ—ใฆใงใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ‹ใ€‚- Could I ask the reason? / What is the reason? / Why do you think that is?
    • ่ฝใจใ—ใพใ—ใŸ - ใŠใจใ—ใพใ—ใŸ - dropped
    • ๆญปใซใพใ—ใŸ - ใ—ใซใพใ—ใŸ - died
    • ไฝ•ใ‚‚ใ‚ใ‚Šใพใ›ใ‚“ใ€‚- There is nothing. / Nothing was there.
    • ้ก” - ใ‹ใŠ - face
    • ใซใชใ‚Šใพใ—ใŸ - had/became (had dark faces or faces became dark) [from ash and also grief]
    • ใ”ใ‚ใ‚“ใชใ•ใ„ใจ่จ€(ใ„)ใ„ใŸใ„ใ€‚- I want to say Iโ€™m sorry.
    • ใ„ใ‚Šใพใ™ - need
    • ๅ‡บใ—ใพใ—ใŸ - to give/put out (in context of sending money to someoneโ€™s effort)
    • ใ‚„ particle - and/or connecting particle ---- It is very similar to the grammar ใจ (to), which also means โ€œandโ€. The main difference being ใจ only lists the actual items listed, and ใ‚„ implies the listed items are not complete.
    • ใชใฉ - etc./and such, can add at the end of a list
    • ้‡ใ„ - ใŠใ‚‚ใ„ - heavy
    • ็ฝฎใใพใ—ใŸ - ใŠใใพใ—ใŸ - put something somewhere (past tense)
    • ใ‹ใ‚‰ - after a phrase can mean โ€œbecause of X, Y happenedโ€
    • ๅคงใใ้–‹ใ‘ใฆ - ใŠใŠใใใ‚ใ‘ใฆ - to open it wide (example: mouth - ๅฃใ‚’ๅคงใใ้–‹ใ‘ใฆ)
January 11, 2022
  • Graded reader on Natively โ€“ ใ‚ทใƒฅใƒขใƒผใƒใ‚ฆใ‚น, Level 1 โ€” page 8 {Recommended here by sosanlx}. Vocab and notes:
    • ๆ–ฐใ—ใ„ๅฎถใ‚’่ฆ‹ใฆ่จ€ใ„ใพใ—ใŸ - Looked at the new house and saidโ€ฆ - Question: Why is there no connection between the two verbs? [่ฆ‹ใฆ(ใพใ—ใŸ) and ่จ€ใ„ใพใ—ใŸ] Theyโ€™re side-by-side without a connection particle and itโ€™s unclear itโ€™s supposed to be โ€œX and Xโ€. To research later.
    • ไฝใฟใŸใ„ - want to live
January 12, 2022
  • Graded reader on Natively โ€“ ใ‚ทใƒฅใƒขใƒผใƒใ‚ฆใ‚น, Level 1 โ€” page 9-13 {Recommended here by sosanlx}. Vocab and notes:
    • The sentence introducing dialog ends with a period, not a comma or other punctuation. Example: ็งใŸใกใฏ่จ€ใ„ใพใ—ใŸใ€‚ใ€Œใ‚„ใฃใŸ๏ผใ€
    • [ๅฎถ versus ไฝๅฎ… (HiNative thread)] (What is the difference between "ไฝๅฎ…" and "ๅฎถ" ? "ไฝๅฎ…" vs "ๅฎถ" ? | HiNative). My understanding:
      • ๅฎถ = ใ„ใˆ - A house, such as the house you live in, a single home
      • ไฝๅฎ… = ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใŸใ - A residential area, a set of hinges, a housing complex, a place where multiple peopleโ€™s homes are together
    • ใ„ใคใ‚‚ - Always, everytime (in all my years of learning Japanese, I have NEVER been able to remember this word! It must be fossilized weirdly.
    • ๆˆฆไบ‰ใง - ใ›ใ‚“ใใ†ใง - In the war/During the war
    • ใ™ใ‚‹ใจ - Thenโ€ฆ
    • ใใ‚Œใ‹ใ‚‰ใ‚‚ใ† - Then there was/There was already
    • ใพใŸๆˆฆไบ‰ - another war
    • ไบ•ๆˆธ - ใ„ใฉ - a well
    • ใใฎๆ™‚ - ใใฎใจใ - at that time
    • ้ก˜ใฃใฆใ„ใพใ—ใŸ - ใญใŒใฃใฆใ„ใพใ—ใŸ - hoped for, such as โ€œๅนณๅ’Œใ‚’ใญใŒใฆใ„ใพใ—ใŸโ€ - hoped for peace
    • ไบกใใชใ‚Šใพใ—ใŸ - ใชใใชใ‚Šใพใ—ใŸ - died
January 13, 2022
  • Tweets from LGBT Japanese people and organizations about same-sex marriage and the new same-sex partnership system coming to Tokyo.
  • Japanese subtitles for Asagiโ€™s video โ€œMy Experience of the Japan Earthquake 2011โ€ (Japanese voiceover and subtitles)
  • Duolingo Stories โ€“ Completed the story โ€œDoctor Eddyโ€
    • ในใคใฎ - different - example: โ€œในใคใฎ{noun}โ€
    • ใจใฆใ‚‚ๅ…ทๅˆใŒๆ‚ชใใ† - ใจใฆใ‚‚ใใ‚ใ„ใŒใ‚ใ‚‹ใใ† - looks very sick
    • ใ‚€ใ“ใ†ใซ - over there, send best to use when something is on the opposite side of something, for example, the opposite side of the school; HiNative thread
    • ็—…ๆฐ—ใฎไบบ - ใณใ‚‡ใ†ใใฎใฒใจ - sick person
    • ใ†ใ‚Šใฐ - section, like a section or aisle in a grocery store
    • ่ฟ‘ใ- ใกใ‹ใ - near
January 14, 2022
  • โ€œObey Me!โ€ anime end-credit group chat messages
  • Tweets from LGBT Japanese people and organizations about same-sex marriage and marriage equality in Japan
January 15, 2022
  • Tweets - NHK headlines about national college entrance exams
  • Graded reader on Natively โ€“ ใƒใƒฏใƒฏใฎ่Šฑใ™ใ‘~ๅฝฑใจใŠๆ•ฃๆญฉ, Level 0. Vocab and notes:
    • ็ดนไป‹ - ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ‹ใ„ - Introduction
    • ใ” - your - before a noun like โ€œparentsโ€ or โ€œmasterโ€ is possessive; ใ”ไธปไบบ
    • ใ“ใ‚Œใ‹ใ‚‰ - from now, starting now
    • 2ๅŒน - ใซใฒใ (GoogTrans says โ€œใซใณใโ€?) - 2 animals; ๅŒน is the counter for animals
    • ็ฌ‘ใ„ใพใ—ใŸ - ใ‚ใ‚‰ใ„ใพใ—ใŸ - laughed
    • ้–€ - ใ‚‚ใ‚“ - gate
    • ใ‚ทใƒžใ‚ฆใƒž - ใ—ใพใ†ใพ - zebra
    • ่‘‰ใฃใฑ - ใฏใคใฑ - leaves
    • ๆœ - ใตใ - clothes
    • ใƒžใƒชใ‚ขใฎๆœใฏใ€่‘‰ใฃใฑใฎๆœใญ - ใƒžใƒชใ‚ขใฎใตใใฏใ€ใฏใฃใฑใฎใตใใญ - This sentence structure is interesting. Thereโ€™s no indicator at the end like โ€œ-imasuโ€; I assume this is a casual structure where you leave off bits because the meaning is clear - โ€œMariaโ€™s clothes are leaf clothesโ€ literally or โ€œMaria is wearing clothes with leaves on them.โ€
    • ๅปบ็‰ฉ - ใŸใฆใ‚‚ใฎ - building; often see this replaced by ใƒ“ใƒซ instead
    • ๅฏบ - ใฆใ‚‰ - temple (IIRC, this will show up in WK soon)
    • ใ„ใŸ - โ€œis thereโ€ or similar - At the end of a sentence, seems to take the place of more formal wording, followed format of โ€œ{noun}ใ„ใŸโ€ meaning โ€œ{noun} is here/thereโ€.
    • ๅค•ๆ–น - ใ‚†ใ†ใŒใŸ - evening
  • โ€œNo. 6โ€ manga (Vol 1, Chap 1, Page 1) on Bookwalker (made an account!) โ€” the next pages get considerably harder and Natively rates it at Level 29, so not quite there yet. Vocab and notes from first page:
    • ๅฏ’ใ„ - ใ•ใ‚€ใ„ - cold; I know the word, but didnโ€™t recognize the kanji in the wild
    • ็œ ใ„ - ใญใ‚€ใ„ - sleepy; I know the word, but didnโ€™t recognize the kanji in the wild
    • ็—›ใ„ - ใ„ใŸใ„ - pain/it hurts; I know the word, but didnโ€™t recognize the kanji in the wild
    • ๅ‹•ใ‘ใชใ„ - ใ†ใ”ใ‘ใชใ„ - canโ€™t move
    • ใใ‚Œใงใ‚‚ - nevertheless, even so
    • ้€ฒใ‚€ - ใ™ใ™ใ‚€ - move, move onward
    • ใ—ใ‹ใชใ„ - there is only, the only option is to, there is no choice other than to - example: โ€œ{verb}ใ—ใ‹ใชใ„โ€ meaning โ€œno choice but to {verb}โ€
January 16, 2022
  • Graded reader on Natively โ€“ ใฉใฃใก๏ผŸ, Level 0. Vocab and notes:
    • ใฉใฃใกใŒ ใ„ใ„๏ผŸ- Which one do you like/Which one is good?
    • ใ“ใฃใกใฎใปใ†ใŒใ„ใ„ใ€‚- This is better. / This one is better.
    • ใ“ใฃใกใฎใปใ†ใŒ{adjective}ใ€‚- This is {adjective}. / This one is {adjective}.
    • ้ชจ - ใปใญ - bone
    • ใฉใฃใกใ‚‚ {adjective}. - They are both {adjective}.
January 17, 2022
January 19, 2022

Graded reader on Natively โ€“ ใ‚ใ‚“ใ“ใกใ‚ƒใ‚“, pages 8-14. Vocab and notes:

• ๅ†ทใŸใ„ใ€‚- ใคใ‚ใŸใ„ - cold (applies to objects/food?)
  • ๆ —่’ธใ— - ใใ‚Šใ‚€ใ— - steamed chestnuts
  • ็พŠ็พน - ใ‚ˆใ†ใ‹ใ‚“ - youkan
  • ๆ —ใŒใ„ใฃใฑใ„ใ€‚- ใใ‚ŠใŒใ„ใฃใฑใ„ - A lot of chestnuts.
January 21, 2022
  • Duolingo Stories โ€“ Completed the story โ€œA New Coatโ€
    • ๆ‰‹ไผใฃใฆใใ‚Œใพใ›ใ‚“ใ‹? - ใฆใคใ ใฃใฆใใ‚Œใพใ›ใ‚“ใ‹๏ผŸ- Can you help me?
    • {noun}ใฉใ†ใงใ™ใ‹๏ผŸ- How about a {noun}?
    • ใใ‚Œใ‹ - or; example: ใใ‚Œใ‹ใ€{noun}ใฏใฉใ†ใงใ™ใ‹๏ผŸ
    • ใดใฃใŸใ‚Šใงใ™ใ‚ˆ๏ผ- Itโ€™s perfect!
January 26, 2022

Lost some days because of RL stress/sick. So I picked a really cute Level 0 (L4) book to ease back in.

24 Likes