Race to Your Goal! December 2020 JLPT

Hit level 21! 50% further through Wanikani than I was when I joined this thread :slight_smile:

The death levels begin!

6 Likes

Levelled up to 28 this morning, 6 days and 23 hours.

6 Likes

I just need one more kanji to reach level 11 unfortunately the reviews won’t appear until tomorrow thus I can’t level up today. :sob:

8 Likes

Nice! Your post encouraged me to officially add to the wiki! I don’t know exactly how far I will get by December due to these crazy times, but I put 42 in, and hope to get farther if possible!

4 Likes

Finally leveled up, I wonder if wanikani will become harder from here on.

6 Likes

The main increase in difficulty with advancing levels is that your pool of active kanji and therefore your daily review pile is ever increasing.

I feel like around level 20 you start seeing more and more similar looking kanji which can become a problem especially if you were not too careful about focusing on the components of a kanji and just learned them by “looking at them”. This becomes even more of a problem around level 30 it seems to me. There are some userscripts that can help you work on these problem areas though.

Another big difficulty spike for me was when more and more burns start coming in. At least a third of these I fail so they come back into the review pile which can really increase your daily number of reviews when you are going fast. I actually had to take a ~20 day lesson break in February to get my apprentice count back to 100 because the daily amount of reviews was just too high and my accuracy and motivation really was slipping.

5 Likes

New level! Now 150 lessons are staring at me, menacingly.

6 Likes

Thanks for your answer. I think I will need to write down all new kanji by hand once it gets harder. It seems for me it is easier to remember kanji which I wrote down. I need to learn to write kanji anyway, I will have my next japanese test in three months and my teacher will want to see if I can write them by hand.

3 Likes

Best of luck @JapanStar49 I’m glad my post could help :blush:
Looking at how far you’ve come since March 3rd I’m sure you’ll be there in no time!

1 Like

Level 60!

I listed my goal as all-burn by December 2020, but that doesn’t seem likely. Given that it takes 6 months from lesson to burn, if I make almost no mistakes, then it’s still possible. However, I know I will make mistakes along the way, especially with items in the last 10 levels, but I’ll get as close to AB as possible!

11 Likes

Level 12! Doubled since I joined the race. I’m about to reach 100 day streak, still fun as hell and one of the longest things I’ve kept up with.

2 Likes

Median is somewhere close to eleven days which seems quite ok pace. I did have some issues with having low energy now so I slowed down my pace to match.

I still feel extremely happy that I have managed to learn almost each day. There’s not a lot to teach about using Wanikani except to just keep on keeping on and messing up is a constant part of the leaning process, at least for me. Things stick when they stick and if they don’t, write them down by hand or check usable examples. Going too fast might be a problem so stay in your own pace and don’t look at others. I’ll keep on trucking.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, hope the race is going well! I’m trying to work out how much leeway I have with my level up times whilst still working towards my level sixty goal and I was wondering if anyone knew which levels are still fast levels? I know there are posts about it from a while ago but with all the updates and such recently I’m sure things have been shifted around a bit. I’m maintaining a pretty intense pace at the minute and I want to see how much I can afford to slow down if it starts getting too much :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Not directly answering your question, but I’m considering changing my goal from 50 to 60, as without all the travelling I’d planned this year :sob: I think I’d be able to get there fairly easily IF I maintain my fast pace.

Im roughly the same level as you - levelled up to 29 this morning, 7 days and 2 hours.

5 Likes

You can generate an updated list of fast levels yourself using this script from here.

Result from running it just now:

41, 43, 44, 46, 47, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60

However, judging from accounts of people who made it to level 60, doing the fast levels fast can be quite hard and they generally seem to advise against it. I wouldn’t bet on being able to do them all fast.

8 Likes

Agreed. Having just gone through it myself, I do not recommend it. Not only do the number of lessons and reviews double, many of the kanji and vocabulary are less common such that even if you consumed Japanese content regularly, you don’t come across many of these words very often. Additionally, some of kanji and vocabulary get a little more abstract and the mnemonics get very stretched out.

I generally found WaniKani fun, but all those factors above made the last 10 levels grueling and a somewhat miserable experience.

3 Likes

I am really looking forward to these fast levels, I want to be buried under all those lessons and reviews.

1 Like

Actually, if I can help it, I won’t be doing them at the fastest pace for that reason. But if I have to slow down on some of the levels running up to this I can work out how much I can do so whilst still being able to gain ground later if need be.
Thanks for the help (and the script :blush: )

3 Likes

I just leveled up too! 8 days exactly. I think level 60 is still pretty doable, like you said, but life has gotten in the way before and left me behind with hundreds upon hundreds of reviews and no time to clear them so I’m just trying to plan ahead just in case XD

Edit: by the way you forgot to update the leader board with your new level :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes I tend to forget that - I haven’t attempted it on my iPad in ages, I usually wait till I have my laptop so I don’t break the table!

3 Likes