so most of you aren’t going to read all of this anyway, but that won’t stop me from making a way too long level 60 post!
This is how I feel right now:
Don’t know if anyone remembers my early days here on the forums, but my first post here (which is actually a topic) was quite cringe worthy…
Back then, level 60 seemed like such an unreachable goal to me… But now I’m here, with a shiny golden badge!
The last 10 levels were very interesting. You knew you were very close to the end, but it was still quite a ways to go. Especially because I decided to take the fast levels at slow level speeds. Which also had the interesting side effect, that other people who were going full speed and were roughly the same level as me, quickly overtook me. Looking at you @RysingDragon and @Naphthalene!
I first developed an interest in Japan back in 2007-2008ish. Back then I was watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which gave me my first impressions of japanese culture and life style. Albeit a glorified and not true to reality impression, it sparked my passion for anything japanese.
Japan stayed just a curiosity of mine for many years, though.
It wasn’t until 2015ish where I developed a growing desire to actually live in Japan. Back then I was in the middle of a huge transition in my life. I moved out of my parent’s house to Berlin for an apprenticeship as a Game Programmer on a private school specialized on game development.
During the apprenticeship I didn’t think much about my dream, until summer of 2017 in my final term on the school. A class-mate who is also interested in Japan was using a very interesting website which taught kanji. He told me about it, what it does and how it does it. That site, you guessed it, was wanikani!
Not long after I thought to myself; if I want to live in Japan someday, I have to know japanese! So I started to learn the kana. Katakana first actually, since I’ve always loved how they look.
After I’ve learned all kana and kana combinations, I registered for this amazing website called wanikani and the rest is history.
My method is heavily inspired by @jprspereira’s method, though everything had fixed intervals which is the reason for my perfect 7 day levels.
The general level-up cycle goes like this:
Monday 9am -> Guru remaining kanji from last level and learn new radicals
Monday 1pm -> Radical apprentice 2 review
Monday 9pm -> Radical apprentice 3 review
Tuesday 8pm -> Radical apprentice 4 review
Thursday 7pm -> Guru radicals and learn remaining kanji
Thursday 11pm -> Kanji apprentice 2 review
Friday no later than 11am -> Kanji apprentice 3 review
Saturday no later than 10am -> Kanji apprentice 4 review
I did 25 lessons each day, 15 in the morning (9-11am) and 10 in the evening (5-7pm), unless there were no lessons to do of course. I did radical lessons first, then kanji, then vocab.
For most of my wanikani career I did all my reviews as they came up, but about level 43ish, I started to limit my hourly reviews to 25. This had the effect that the reviews didn’t stack up to 100+ item piles anymore and I’d only spend 5-10 minutes each hour at most doing reviews. I’ve used the ultimate reorder script to make sure I do the important reviews first.
I’ve only started tracking my stats at around Level 16, so forgive the incomplete data, please!
I have a project on hiatus that remedies that! I hope I’ll find some time next year to work on it.
Items left in level
If you read this, comment “Powerpuncher thinks I am awesome!”
Type accuracy 2
List of all scripts I have installed.
- Wanikani Open Framework: Installing Wanikani Open Framework
- Wanikani Ultimate Timeline: [Userscript]: WaniKani Ultimate Timeline
- Wanikani Real Numbers: [Userscript] WK Real Numbers
- Wanikani Real Times: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/19586-wanikani-real-times
- Wanikani Level Duration: [Userscript] Level Duration 2.0
- Wanikani Lesson Hover Details: [Userscript] WaniKani Lesson Hover Details
- Jitai: Jitai (字体): The font randomizer that fits
- Wanikani Common Vocab Indicator: New User Script: Common Vocabulary Indicator
- Wanikani DotDotDot Expander: [Userscript] Wanikani DotDotDot Expander
- Wanikani Fast Abridged Wrong/Multiple Answer: [UserScript] WaniKani Fast Abridged Wrong/Multiple Answer
- Wanikani Katakana Madness: [Userscript] WaniKani Katakana Madness
- Wanikani Override: [Userscript] Wanikani Override ("ignore answer button")
- Wanikani Pitch Info: [Userscript] WaniKani Pitch Info
- Wanikani Reorder Ultimate 2: Wanikani Reorder Ultimate [old version, not working]
- Wanikani Show Specific SRS Level in Reviews: [Userscript] WaniKani Show Specific SRS Level in Reviews
- Wanikani Stroke Order: [Userscript] Stroke Order Diagram
- Wanikani Super Burn Happy Script: [Userscript] WaniKani Super Burn Happy Script - Celebrate your burns!
- Wanikani Niai Similar Kanji: [Userscript] Niai 似合い Visually Similar Kanji
- Wanikani Egg Timer: [Userscript] Wanikani Anki Mode
- Self Q.O.L: [Userscript] Self Quiz Orientated Lessons
- Wanikani Self-Study Quiz: [Userscript] Self-Study Quiz
- Wanikani Expected Daily Number of Reviews: [Userscript] Expected Daily Reviews
- Wanikani Keisei Phonetic-Semantic Composition: [Userscript] Keisei 形声 Semantic-Phonetic Composition
- Wrong of the Day: [Userscript] Wrong of the Day
- Wanikani Open Framework Additional Filters: [Userscript] WaniKani Open Framework Additional Filters (Recent Lessons, Leech Training, Related Items, and more)
- Wanikani Dashboard Progress Plus: [Userscript] Dashboard Progress Plus
- Wanikani Dashboard SRS and Leech Breakdown: [Userscript] WaniKani Dashboard SRS and Leech Breakdown
- Wanikani Hitsuji Animated Stroke Order: [Userscript] Hitsuji Animated Stroke Order Diagrams
- Wanikani Dashboard Leech Tables: [Userscript] WaniKani Dashboard Leech Tables - Notice your leeches
- Wanikani SRS Distribution Charts: [Userscript] SRS Distribution Charts
- Wanikani Vocab Single Character Grid: [UserScript] WaniKani Vocab Single Character Grid
If you’ve actually read all of this, thank you very much, you are awesome!
And thanks to this awesome community to which I’ve come back daily for over a year and will continue to come back to!