[Userscript]: Hide Context Sentence Translation

Hide Context Sentence Translation

In response to [request thread], here is a userscript for hiding the English translation of Context Sentences on the Lesson, Review, and Item pages.

The translation is hidden under a gray box, and is revealed when you hover your cursor over the box.

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

[Download here]

50 Likes

All I end up doing is using a bunch of your userscripts :wink: Thank you!

2 Likes

How does rfindley NOT have a sect name by now? ‘sect wk struggles are not real’ because all he does is make our lives so much easier. 

2 Likes
sirvorn said... All I end up doing is using a bunch of your userscripts ;) Thank you!
Hehe... I'm glad you find them useful!

Thank you so much for all your hard work, really appreciate this, now my brain won’t cheat! 

This might be more efficient than always putting my hand over the translation.
Thank you !

2 Likes

This is SO great, I’m always accidentally looking down at the translation before I’m finished reading the context sentence.

Only one day in and the ‘oh shit, this is Japanese’, pause and read steps I am taking now lets me know I really wasn’t properly reading the sentences before. It feels like the difference when I go about the house with my glasses off. Or when I’m doing a procedure at work and suddenly become aware that my supervisor is watching me. I know I can do this, but I’m doubting myself and hesitating…

1 Like

Many thanks again rfindley. This is extremely elegant and useful. It has given the context sentences a new lease of life.

Odd little side effect of this, it makes catching the errors in the translation easier ;D

(I really do wish I’d had this earlier on)

Hmmm, this could be a nice addition in the forums as well, a spoiler tag would be nice!

I just started so this is perfect, thank you!!

I was thinking about making a request for this, actually, but thought I’d do a quick search first and…brilliant. Works perfectly. Thank you!

EskimoJo said... Only one day in and the 'oh shit, this is Japanese', *pause* and *read* steps I am taking now lets me know I really wasn't properly reading the sentences before. It feels like the difference when I go about the house with my glasses off. Or when I'm doing a procedure at work and suddenly become aware that my supervisor is watching me. I know I can do this, but I'm doubting myself and hesitating...
 Yeah, for some reason I never actually gave the context sentences much effort because I just remembered how opaque they were at first. After all the recent discussion I've started really reading through them and it's helping a lot.

Also, this script is almost exactly what I was going to do. Thanks for saving me the effort! :D

Just installed this. Thanks a lot for making it!!!

aniustaluwis said... Just installed this. Thanks a lot for making it!!!
 Well since you've bumped this, I'd like to point out that sometimes, way too often, the usage of the word in the context sentence you'd never figure out based on the definition you are given in WK.
Syphus said...
aniustaluwis said... Just installed this. Thanks a lot for making it!!!
 Well since you've bumped this, I'd like to point out that sometimes, way too often, the usage of the word in the context sentence you'd never figure out based on the definition you are given in WK.
 yeah, i've noticed that the wk definition are often pretty vague, which I assume I'll straighten out with additional learning and experience. I mostly just use the example sentences for reading practice. 

Anyway the reason why I bump threads for scripts I install is so that others may stumble upon the same script on the top of the forum through serendipity, which is how I found some of the scripts I use.
1 Like

Thank you, @rfindley. I’m using this script as well now. My poor, overworked pc… lol. ~frankiebluej

This is a really useful script, thank you!

1 Like

Great, thank u ^^