[Userscript] Burn Manager (Review / Resurrect / Retire)

Is this supposed to exist?

I mean all those emty level fields.

Supaa said... Is this supposed to exist?

I mean all those emtpy level fields.

If you entered “16-25” in the selection box, and you don’t have any burned items on levels 19-25, then yes :slight_smile:

I decided to leave the blank levels as visual confirmation of not having burns on a level… and also that your query is returning everything you asked for.  But I’m open to opinions about eliminating them.  If opinions are mixed, maybe I’ll add a setting.

Just wanna acknowledge how cool this is even though it’ll be ages before I’d need it. If this had been a default part of WK I might have considered lifetime… hmm… Oh well, early days for me yet. :wink:

fantastic! So good

once again, rfindley thanks for all the great stuff you contribute to WK

1 Like

This looks great. Don’t have any burned yet so… have to wait to use it. Question 1: If I install this before I have any burned items does anyone foresee a issue/problem? I don’t, but you never know… Question 2: Is there a place where all of rfindley’s user scripts, etc are located. I know about the main one that shows all the user scripts, so I guess the question would be are all of rfindley’s listed there with his/her(?) name so I can find them in particular? ~frankiebluej

frankiebluej said... This looks great. Don't have any burned yet so.... have to wait to use it. Question 1: If I install this before I have any burned items does anyone foresee a issue/problem? I don't, but you never know... Question 2: Is there a place where all of rfindley's user scripts, etc are located. I know about the main one that shows all the user scripts, so I guess the question would be are all of rfindley's listed there with his/her(?) name so I can find them in particular? ~frankiebluej
 This script is safe to install even if you don't have burned items.  It will stay quietly hidden in your user menu until you're ready to use it.

Ultimate Timeline
Burn Manager (this thread)
Golden Burn
Dashboard Progress Plus
Hide Context Sentence
Post Search Direct Link (aka "Chat Posts" Search Results - Direct Link)

There's the Stats Site, of course.

I made a script called "Study Config", but I highly recommend @absalon's Hide Answers instead.  It has more features and a better interface.

There are a few more on greasyfork.org under my username, but they are other people's scripts that I just repaired and re-hosted:  Lightning Mode and Markdown Notes.

And there are a few scripts that I keep for myself, because with great power comes great responsibility.  :-)

And finally, other people's scripts that I use:
DotDotDot Expander
Reorder Ultimate

Thanks!

So, this script kind of catastrophically screwed my progress. Since the script is called “Burn Manager” I assumed it only operated on burned items. I mean, even if you could resurrect a not-yet-burned item it would have no effect right? You can’t resurrect the living. So I didn’t bother to manually only select burned items, I just selected everything assuming it wouldn’t do anything to the unburned ones.

Well, no, it just reset every single item to apprentice whether it was burned or not. And there’s no way for me to reverse it as far as I can tell, there’s no API to manually set an item’s level. So I’m doing 100 reviews a day – I don’t have time to do more than that at the moment – trying to cut down my queue, but it’s very very slow going.

This isn’t really just a “burn manager”, it’s also a progress-resetter. Maybe either include a warning that this will in fact reset every selected card (burned or not) or do a check to make sure the card you’re about to resurrect is actually burned before resurrecting it.

riskyshift said...So, this script kind of catastrophically screwed my progress.
[...]
Wow, that's terrible!  And that's definitely not something that should be possible.  When I developed this script, I tested it extensively, and tested it again just a few minutes ago.  I can't reproduce what you described.  I even manually sent the request to the WK server to resurrect and retire several items that I hadn't burned (on my test account), and WK ignored it.

Can you tell me exactly what steps you took when you used the Burn Manager?  e.g. what you entered into the Levels box, which item types were checked, whether you used the Preview button or just the Execute button, etc.
Also, if you'd like me to take a look at your data, go to the stats site (https://www.idigtech.com/wanikani) and enter your API key.

I see your start date was May 2014.  Did you have your account reset at some point?
The reason I ask:  The script uses two criteria to determine if each item is currently burned or was in the past:
If the API says the item's srs level is 'burned', it is currently burned.
If the API says the item's srs level is NOT 'burned', but the burned_date is non-zero, then is was burned sometime in the past.
Any other combination shouldn't even be touched by this script.
1 Like

Not seeing this pop up ? Firefox, mac, wondering what I’m doing wrong. Thanks!

Yabba said... Not seeing this pop up ? Firefox, mac, wondering what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!
 Do you have TamperMonkey or GreaseMonkey installed?   If not, install that, then reinstall the script.

Once it's set up properly, you can open it from WaniKani's user menu (as shown in the top post)
rfindley said...
Yabba said... Not seeing this pop up ? Firefox, mac, wondering what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!
 Do you have TamperMonkey or GreaseMonkey installed?   If not, install that, then reinstall the script.

Once it's set up properly, you can open it from WaniKani's user menu (as shown in the top post)
 Woops. guess I should learn how to read. Yes it's in the user menu. Thank you.

I don’t use the mnemonics, so the radicals are just wasting space in my brain. Is this the best way to get rid of them? What are the other options?

brandonhartfiel said... I don't use the mnemonics, so the radicals are just wasting space in my brain. Is this the best way to get rid of them? What are the other options?
 This won't get rid of them.  There's really no option for that, though you could add a dummy synonym to all the radicals.

Thank you rfindley! I needed to refresh a lot of levels as I’m back after a long time… This is just what I needed!

Neat. This way you can re-do WK without resetting your level.

I love the idea of this userscript. I am wondering, however, if there is a way to reset burned items just back to Enlightened, rather than all the way to Apprentice. I want to see the burned items again in my reviews, but if I still remember them easily, I don’t really want them clogging up my reviews again - I’d just like them to be burned once more. Can I edit the Userscript to do this, and if so, how?

1 Like

The script just uses WK’s resurrect/retire links, which can only set it to Apprentice.

You could use the [Quiz script] to quiz your burn items without resurrecting them, then keep track of which ones need resurrecting and use Burn Manager to resurrect in bulk.

1 Like

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks, the quiz script looks pretty great; just had a go with it and it looks like it’ll work just fine. Thanks!

I’ve been wishing for something like that for a while, thank you! :+1:

At what frequency are the resurrected burnt items reviewed though?