大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea (Absolute Beginners Book Club Starting in September)

Welcome to the Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Book Club!

Summary

An Ocean in Peril!

The young witch Wadanohara has returned from a journey across the sea, only to find that her peaceful ocean home has come under attack from the nefarious Tosatsu Empire. Alongside her faithful familiars – Memoca, Dolphi, and Fukami – Wadanohara promises to do all she can to prevent a terrible war. But when a mysterious figure from her past demands that she leave, can the pure-hearted Wadanohara muster the courage and magic she needs to save the Sea Kingdom once and for all?

Details

We are reading this book as part of the Absolute Beginners Book Club. This book club will be starting in early September with an official start date to be decided on soon. Everyone is welcome to join the book club! Previous grammar and vocabulary knowledge is helpful, but we will have a vocab sheet and lots of people to help with grammar questions, so please don’t be discouraged if you are just getting started on your learning journey! If you want to see if this book if for you please check out the nomination post and a reading sample on Bookwalker.

How Book Clubs Work on WaniKani

For each weeks reading we will have a new thread for discussing the chapter. In the thread you can ask questions on grammar/ vocab, talk about the book, and help others stay motivated! We also will have a shared vocab sheet. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you plan on reading along I would highly recommend setting this thread to watching and bookmark it, so you will be up to date and have easy access to the discussion threads!

Where to Buy the Book

Digital: Bookwalker, Amazon JP, Kobo

Physical: Manga Republic

** To buy the digital version from amazon you will need a Japanese amazon account that has a Japanese address or else the book will say unavailable.
** Notes on Physical Copies: This book is unfortunately difficult to get a physical copy of. Both CDJapan and Amazon are sold out. Manga Republic has it available (used but in excellent condition) with worldwide shipping. However, their shipping times are decently long and the supply is limited, so if you plan to order from them I would do so soon.

Schedule

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
September 11th Prologue 1 to 10 9
September 18th Chp1 13 to 26 14
September 25th Chp 2 30 to 42 12
October 2nd Chp 3 46 to 58 13
October 9th Chp 4 61 to 76 15
October 16th Chp 5 80 to 94 15
October 23rd Chp 6 97 to 112 15
October 30th Chp 7 116 to 132 17
*Pgs 142-143 have a two page bonus manga.

Vocabulary

Participants

Are you planning on joining this book club?
  • Yes!
  • Nah I’ll Pass

0 voters

25 Likes

Here’s the link for the Kobo ebook version for anyone who prefers that. https://www.kobo.com/jp/ja/ebook/LTtMuPDZ4z6SHKXvZKjvdw

5 Likes

This sounds up my alley, and starting in September gives me time to move through a few more Genki chapters before we start. Looking forward to it! Going to try to order a physical copy, but if that doesn’t work, I’ll use the ebook link that @fuzzytipsy provided (thanks for that!)

Looking forward to reading with you all!

5 Likes

Thanks for posting! I’ll add this to the digital options. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Welcome to the club!

2 Likes

I have updated the schedule. We will start reading on September 11th, which is one week after the
それでも歩は寄せてくる book club finishes. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Sounds good! I’m gonna order my copy Friday when I’m paid!

2 Likes

Just ordered a physical copy via Manga Republic. The Kinokuniya link says the item is sold out, so just a heads up (I know you said in the introductory the supply is limited.) Fingers crossed Manga Republic can ship it here by September!

2 Likes

Just ordered a physical copy. Will probably only be around level 15 or so by then, but it will be fun. And my first book club.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know! It looks like as of right now they’ve completely removed the book from their website, so I will be removing the link for Kinokuniya.

2 Likes

My copy arrived today, and for a first-time customer of Manga Republic, I have to say I’m super impressed with their service. The book came between two pieces of cardboard, bubble wrapped, in a bubble wrapped thick envelope, along with a note and a free gift. Super happy with the service.

6 Likes

I’m glad you were happy with their service! I’ve used them a decent amount of times and always have been very happy with my purchases!

3 Likes

I wish online book shops for western books were that careful haha - so many books I’ve got that have been just put into a box and shipped and ended up getting damaged in transit

3 Likes

Can confirm. Here was my delivery. Absolutely perfect condition. Can’t find a single bit of defect or damage.

5 Likes

Commenting for notifications as I will join!

6 Likes

Hello! I am planning on joining this will be my first book club. I am going to see if Kinokuniya has it in stock in store since I’m very lucky to have one by me.

4 Likes

Okay, I just noticed that on Kinokuniya it’s the complete edition so it has over 300 pages … is that still fine? Or is it different from the one here?

1 Like

Make sure you’re looking at the Japanese version, it looks like the English version was released as a two volume omnibus, but the Japanese version should be single volumes.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I was looking at the English version. I’m going to see if they have the Japanese if not I would use the links that has been provided

1 Like

I hope you’re able to find it! Last time I checked, the book (Japanese edition) was no longer listed on their website, so I’m unsure if they will have it in stock. :sleepy: Also, welcome to the book club! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes