大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Volume 2 Off-Shoot Club Chp 11 Thread

Welcome to the Wadanohara Off-Shoot Book Club for Volume 2!!

wada2

This book club is for people who want to continue reading Wadanohara, which we started with the absolute beginners book club.
The homethread for the first book is located here-> Book 1 Homethread

Volume 2 Summary

Long-awaited by fans all over the world! The creator himself made a comic of the undersea pure love RPG !!

The witch “Wadanohara” has returned to her hometown of the sea with her familiars. However, the former familiar “Samekichi” stands in front of her. A cute but sad and a little dark story that is spun on the sea is complete.

Schedule

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Nov 20th Chp 8 7 to 24 18
Nov 27th Chp 9 27 to 44 18
Dec 4th Chp 10 47 to 64 18
Dec 11th Chp 11 65 to 80 14
Dec 18th Chp 12 81 to 98 18
Dec 25th Chp 13 101 to 118 18
Jan 8th Chp 14 119 to 138 20
Jan 15th Chp 15 139 to 156 18
Jan 22nd Chp 16 157 to 180 24
Due to holidays I scheduled 2 weeks for chapter 13!
There is a bit of bonus manga at the end again.

Where to Purchase the Book

Digital

Bookwalker (currently you can get 300 coin back until 10-27-2021 JP time)
Amazon JP

Physical
Manga Republic (copies will be very limited and shipping can take a bit)

Vocab

Volume 2 Home Thread

How’s Your Reading Going?
  • I’m ahead of the schedule
  • I’m reading with the schedule
  • I’m a bit behind
  • I’m reading at my own pace

0 voters

1 Like
Thoughts on the chapter

Oh god, so much exposition and weird vocab, I feel like I spent so much more parsing through this chapter than any other so far, added so many cards to my anki.
At least the art was very pretty and we are getting into the nitty gritty of the backstory, I especially enjoyed this page!

3 Likes

Chp 12 thread is up! (See schedule for link!)

3 Likes

I totally agree that exposition time = heavy deciphering time! :laughing:
The characters themselves usually talk in short sentences, but in expositions the sentence structure always seems to more more complex…

1 Like

Unfortunately, due to Christmas approaching, I’m 1 week behind schedule. I plan on catching up though! I just finished this week’s chapter and I agree @fyrember that we certainly got to know a lot more backstory.

I am aware that it is not common/recommended to post question after the group already moved on to the next chapter, but since no questions were posted last week and according to the poll quite a few people are behind schedule, I decided to still ask:

Page 67

I am unsure about the use of negative here. I believe よかったじゃない means That’s not good. And 面倒なことにならなくて means to not become a troublesome thing. Put together: That’s not good! It does’t become a troublesome thing! That however seems to be contradictory…
But, since なる is in て-From and there are three dots at the end, I believe the sentence is not finished. So I wonder what he did not say? Maybe then it would make more sense?

Page 79 - Part 1

I believe I understand the overall meaning of the sentence, but I am not sure how to fit the citizens of the sea into my translation.
I think the right hand side means: The citizens of the sea too, because of either daughter (?)
And then the left side: The gruesome battle of both people started.
How do I put that together? I guess the citizens picked a side and fought as well? After all later we learned that the evil princess was sealed along with her followers.
Any suggestions?

Page 79 - Part 2

How does grammer work on the right side of panel?
海は荒れ: The sea - a tempest
And what verb forms are 傷つき and 息絶え? I know the i-stem can be used to attach ない, たい or そう but I have never seen it without an attached ending. Same for e-stem. Is there a meaning to them?

Any answers are appreciated but I know full well that maybe noone will answer :sweat_smile: (who knows if anyone still has this thread on watching :thinking:)

1 Like
page 67

じゃない is actually not used in the negative sense here.

It’s not considered grammatically acceptable, even colloquially, to use じゃない to make an い-adjective negative. They have their own conjugation for those forms. For example, 美しくない is the correct way to say “it’s not beautiful”, while 美しいじゃない would be incorrect. So that’s a big hint that じゃない is not being used to make a negative tense here.

This is related to another common speech pattern in Japanese. I’m having trouble finding a better explanation of it than this one, but basically, in spoken Japanese sometimes the speaker will say the part of the sentence that they most want to emphasize first, and then add on an elaboration/explanation at the end in sort of a reverse order that the sentence would normally be in. Basically, what Memoca is saying is really just "面倒なことにならなくてよかったじゃない”、except よかったじゃない is at the beginning instead of the end. This sort of thing only occurs in spoken language, and not in written language.
Following the -てよかった grammar pattern, the meaning of the sentence is “I’m glad we didn’t get into trouble!”

page 79 part 1

These are actually two separate sentences. The verb at the end of the first sentence (つく) is conjugated into 連用形/れんようけい form, which is also known as the continuative form or the stem form. It’s what you attach the -ます to when you conjugate verbs into the polite form. It can function as an equivalent to the -て form by connecting sentences together, although it’s considered more formal than the -て form when used in that way. You generally only see it in written language or in classical Japanese.
つく in this case means “to take sides”, so the first sentence is “The citizens of the sea sided with either of the princesses” and the second sentence is “A gruesome fight between the two began”
I may have accidentally contributed to your confusion here, since I added につき as a word to the vocab list before I realized that wasn’t actually what was in the sentence. I thought I deleted it, but when I checked this morning I realized it was still there. Sorry about that.

page 79 part 2

It’s the same thing here, more 連用形. Just mentally replace the end of the verbs with the -て form and you’ll get the same meaning.

4 Likes