大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Volume 2 Off-Shoot Club Chp 12 Thread

Welcome to the Wadanohara Off-Shoot Book Club for Volume 2!!

wada2

This book club is for people who want to continue reading Wadanohara, which we started with the absolute beginners book club.
The homethread for the first book is located here-> Book 1 Homethread

Volume 2 Summary

Long-awaited by fans all over the world! The creator himself made a comic of the undersea pure love RPG !!

The witch “Wadanohara” has returned to her hometown of the sea with her familiars. However, the former familiar “Samekichi” stands in front of her. A cute but sad and a little dark story that is spun on the sea is complete.

Schedule

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Nov 20th Chp 8 7 to 24 18
Nov 27th Chp 9 27 to 44 18
Dec 4th Chp 10 47 to 64 18
Dec 11th Chp 11 65 to 80 14
Dec 18th Chp 12 81 to 98 18
Dec 25th Chp 13 101 to 118 18
Jan 8th Chp 14 119 to 138 20
Jan 15th Chp 15 139 to 156 18
Jan 22nd Chp 16 157 to 180 24
Due to holidays I scheduled 2 weeks for chapter 13!
There is a bit of bonus manga at the end again.

Where to Purchase the Book

Digital

Bookwalker (currently you can get 300 coin back until 10-27-2021 JP time)
Amazon JP

Physical
Manga Republic (copies will be very limited and shipping can take a bit)

Vocab

Volume 2 Home Thread

How’s Your Reading Going?
  • I’m ahead of the schedule
  • I’m reading with the schedule
  • I’m a bit behind
  • I’m reading at my own pace

0 voters

3 Likes

Chp 13 thread is up!

2 Likes

Finished last weeks chapter (again a bit late, but hopefully I will catch up soon). Story thoughts: What a brutal chapter! Holy sh*t!

Thanks to the vocab sheet, this chapter was not too hard for me! I’m really grateful to whomever fill the vocabsheet and put down comments! Thanks!

Since noone asked question about this chapter, I thought I’ll post mine again, maybe someone wants to engange :grinning: I only have minor question, though.

Page 84

This one is a story-related question. I was wondering what exactly 黒牧さん means with そのこと. The origin story of the sea and its citizens? The fact that 竜宮 is a familiar of the grand old wizard? The fact that 大海原 is the daughter of the great wizard? After all, we don’t really know how much of all of this is common knowledge among the citizens of the sea…
Personally I think that the citizens of the sea probably have some knowledge about the origin of the kingdom (at least that would make sense), so my guess is that 黒牧さん is referring to 竜宮 being a familiar of the great wizard and/or to 大海原 being the daughter of such an esteemed person.
What do you guys think?

Page 90

I’m a bit confused about the use of から here. Usually I believe it gives reason (because/since/etc.) when used at the end of the sentence. But here this doesn’t seem to make sense. Jisho says that から can “express sympathy or warning”. So I was wondering if that is the case here? Then my translation would be: Anyhow, (your ) reaction to torment time will be/is interesting. Any thoughts?

Page 95

I don’t quite understand what メモカ is saying here… The vocab sheet lists どころか as let alone/say nothing of. I also asked google about the grammar structure and as far as I understand the first part translates to shark, let alone orca. Then the second part means to exist/be until now. If I put it toghether I get: Until now it’s shark, say nothing of orca. But this feels very much not like a sentence at all… So I thought maybe the meaning of the sentence is closer to: Until now there was just shark, no orca! Could this be a possibility? This grammar was new to me, so I’m really unsure how it is used…

I also wanted to say thanks to @Shunrin for taking the time to answer my questions last week! The explanation about positive use of じゃない was very helpful!

なんせ, I’m again sorry for posting my questions a week late! :pray: I really hope I will be able to catch up soon! :sweat_smile:

Page 90

I believe it’s being used to give a reason here. The usual structure would be “A kara B”, where A would be the reason, and B the consequence ( Because of A, B). However, it’s relatively common, specially in spoken language, to use “B. A kara”.

In this particular case, B is the first panel in the same page:

So this character says he likes 鮫. Why does he? He explains the reason in the panel you copied in your question. ”(Why I like them, you say?) because the reaction they have when tormented is interesting / entertaining"

Page 95

どころか is a grammar structure where A どころか B means “Far from A, B”, which basically means that in comparison to B, A is irrelevant or in some way much less important.

鮫どころかシャチまでいる

“Never mind the shark, there’s even an Orca here!”

どころか (JLPT N3) | Bunpro – Japanese Grammar Explained

Regarding page 84, sadly I don’t have any hints and I’m also not sure what specific part is being covered by that そのこと.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

page 84

そのこと is referring to what they were talking about in the panel immediately before that, the fact that Tatsumiya was the one maintaining the boundary stones. Someone (the traitor) poisoned Tatsumiya, and everyone is assuming the traitor is Samekichi. So logically, if Samekichi was the traitor then he must have known Tatsumiya was the one managing the stones, or else there wouldn’t be any point to targeting her. However, if it turns out that Samekichi actually didn’t know that…then it would mean someone else is the actual traitor.
Presumably Chlomaki is trying to get more information about whether or not Samekichi is actually the traitor, in connection with previous investigation she was doing.

Also, just for fun:

Now there is a dude that knows exactly what he wants out of life.

4 Likes

One last thing:

If you think this chapter was brutal…hoo boy, you better buckle up for the last volume.