大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Absolute Beginners Book Club Chapter 1 Thread

Welcome to the Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Book Club!

Summary

An Ocean in Peril!

The young witch Wadanohara has returned from a journey across the sea, only to find that her peaceful ocean home has come under attack from the nefarious Tosatsu Empire. Alongside her faithful familiars – Memoca, Dolphi, and Fukami – Wadanohara promises to do all she can to prevent a terrible war. But when a mysterious figure from her past demands that she leave, can the pure-hearted Wadanohara muster the courage and magic she needs to save the Sea Kingdom once and for all?

Details

We are reading this book as part of the Absolute Beginners Book Club. This book club will be starting in early September with an official start date to be decided on soon. Everyone is welcome to join the book club! Previous grammar and vocabulary knowledge is helpful, but we will have a vocab sheet and lots of people to help with grammar questions, so please don’t be discouraged if you are just getting started on your learning journey! If you want to see if this book if for you please check out the nomination post and a reading sample on Bookwalker.

How Book Clubs Work on WaniKani

For each weeks reading we will have a new thread for discussing the chapter. In the thread you can ask questions on grammar/ vocab, talk about the book, and help others stay motivated! We also will have a shared vocab sheet. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you plan on reading along I would highly recommend setting this thread to watching and bookmark it, so you will be up to date and have easy access to the discussion threads!

Where to Buy the Book

Digital: Bookwalker, Amazon JP, Kobo

Physical: Manga Republic

** To buy the digital version from amazon you will need a Japanese amazon account that has a Japanese address or else the book will say unavailable.
** Notes on Physical Copies: This book is unfortunately difficult to get a physical copy of. Both CDJapan and Amazon are sold out. Manga Republic has it available (used but in excellent condition) with worldwide shipping. However, their shipping times are decently long and the supply is limited, so if you plan to order from them I would do so soon.

Schedule

HOME THREAD

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
September 11th Prologue 1 to 10 9
September 18th Chp 1 13 to 26 14
September 25th Chp 2 30 to 42 12
October 2nd Chp 3 46 to 58 13
October 9th Chp 4 61 to 76 15
October 16th Chp 5 80 to 94 15
October 23rd Chp 6 97 to 112 15
October 30th Chp 7 116 to 132 17

*Page numbers are from the digital bookwalker copy. Also, there are pages without text so I will be only including pages with text in the page count column.
*Pgs 142-143 have a two page bonus manga.

Vocabulary

Weekly Update
  • I’m reading ahead
  • I’m reading with the schedule
  • I’m reading at a slower pace
  • I’m no longer reading

0 voters

8 Likes

Welcome to the second week of 大海原と大海原!

10 Likes

This chapter was a lot of fun! It was great to be introduced to some more characters, and the overarching mystery is getting more and more intriguing. In terms of Japanese difficulty, I found that as with the prologue, the opening was the toughest part - probably because the writing is abstract to generate mystery, so it’s a bit more difficult to determine from context what the meaning is. I had a few points I wanted to discuss / ask questions about, so I have set them out below - if any has any hints / ideas that would me much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Page 13 / 15

This is kind of the same point so I have grouped the two - I’m having a little trouble understanding the use of それだけ here. I know it’s supposed to mean “that much” but not sure how to translate the sentences. My best guess is something along the lines of the below:

お願いどうかそれだけは。。。
Please, if it’s that much…

でも。。。それだけ?
But… That much?

Page 15

I thought this sentence was a little abstract, so I just wanted to double check if my translation was completely off the mark or not:

もっと大切なことを。。。伝えなければいけないことがあったはず。
The thing that’s more important… It was probably the thing that had to have been conveyed.

Page 17

Super basic question but I’m just not sure how to read the font of the stylised speech bubble that comes after 起きろ.

Page 19

This was a pretty long sentence so I got a bit lost lol, it’s one of those times where I think I understand every word and every particle but not how to piece the sentence together.

急用で使い魔のみんなと故郷の海へ帰ってきたんだ。
Urgent business で familiar’s everyone? と hometown of the sea へ have returned.

Page 20

いぢめじゃないわよ

So, I presume that this is supposed to be the negative form of “to bully”, but then why does it not read いじめじゃないわよ instead? Is it just a style thing?

5 Likes

I don’t necessarily have any questions yet, but I am very new to reading Japanese and I’m starting to realize I may be misunderstanding things without knowing it. So I’m going to start posting all my translations so I can compare them to others til I get more comfortable (especially after the not even DeepL is reliable discussion.)

Page 13

“Wait.
Don’t go.
Please, I’m only asking that much.”

I feel like this took some stretching to make sense in English. The rough translation would be more like.

“Wait.
Don’t go.
Request/favor(to ask)
Please
Only that”

I feel like this could be translated a lot of different ways and Im not sure how to approach it…
It could also be

“Please, somehow or another, no more than that.”

3 Likes

Page 15

もっと大切なことを。。。伝えなければいけないことがあったはず。
Something more important…; Needed to convey(?); must have.
I think this means something along the lines of “I surely had something more important to say.” I’m not certain, though.

Page 17

I thinks it’s ばぶ.

Page 19

I think “使い魔のみんな” means “all of the familiars”. So the sentence might mean something along the lines of "Because of urgent business I have returned to my hometown of the sea with all of the familliars.

5 Likes

Thanks for your help, this makes sense!

2 Likes

For 13-15, I translated that section as…

[13] translation

Please, that is all I ask…

[14] translation

But… only that? (But… Is that all?)
I may be wrong… Something more important about that… I’m not sure it was conveyed.

As for the: お願いどうかそれだけは

それだけ I think can be translated as “only that”, while どうか means “please” as well? Since おねがい can be “request”, I think the literal translation would be something like…

“…[I]… Request, please, only that…”

I’m fairly new as well, and found the sentence on page 15:

もっと大切なことを。。。伝えなければいけないことがあったはず

to be fairly difficult. After looking through some grammar articles, I take it that こと “converts” 伝えなければいけない to a noun that is then emphasized by あったはず?

What is あっ in this sentence? I inferred through the grammar articles that たはず was expressing some doubt of what the speaker was remembering, but I wasn’t totally sure what あっ was doing there.

Anyways, this was my take on that section, seems like it lines up pretty well with what you had.

4 Likes

isn’t はず should and あった the past tense of ある? I dont understand that sentence either to be honest, help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I’m confused about the subject of the sentence 行かないで which is first uttered, and then quoted again, by presumably the boy. Is it referring to the boy or the girl. I know that it kinda translates to, “dont go” but who’s saying it to who, or is that vague even from context?

Screenshot for context:

Is it possible that only the girl is speaking, and is trying to make the boy say it too?
If that’s the case what is そんなこと言わないで, referring to. I took it as meaning, “Don’t say such a thing” But if the boy didn’t say anything, what is she talking about?

EDIT: here’s the next page for more context:

3 Likes

I think it’s refering to the speech bubble on the right. It’s been blacked out though, and I suspect it’s because Wadanohara can’t remember what he said.

4 Likes

This is also how I took it.

I think we are seeing a memory of the main character’s, Wadanohara. She’s remembering what she said/thought/felt, but cant remember whar he said, possibly because it was traumatic and her mind jas blocked it out.

4 Likes
Page 14 translation

“Don’t say that sort of thing.
I don’t want to lose you.
Wait. You have to say (it?).
Don’t go.
…but”

Am I getting this right?

2 Likes

I don’t think alone it makes much sense because it ties into the next page.

I think she’s saying "Wait, I have to say [don’t go] , but… " and it’s leading up to what is making her pause - my impression is she’s remembering that there’s something more important she needs to focus on, that’s supposed to either be more important than telling him not to go, or at least be said alongside telling him not to go. But I don’t think she ever gets to a point of remembering what it is.

3 Likes

I linked the last page for more context. It makes sense with what you are saying as well.

2 Likes

My goal is 2 pages a day so I haven’t read the next page yet.

3 Likes

もっと大切なことを。。。伝えなければいけないことがあったはず

I kind of took this as her not finishing her sentences cuz she’s trying to piece something together, like when you start to realize your dream isn’t making any sense. And it also ties into the page before it.

I think stand alone 伝えなければいけないことがあったはず means “there had to have been something I had to convey”, but with the previous partial sentence, which introduces the “more important thing” and attaches intent for an action with を, what I got from her switch into confusion was:

Wait, I have to say: “Don’t go”
But…
But is that it?

That’s wrong.
There’s something more important that…
There should have been something I had to convey…
I…

2 Likes

Regarding your question about the subject of the sentence…

I don’t know how far you are (I’m on page… 17?) but I think this is a dream. The subject is Wadanohara based on the context from the drawings, speaking to someone else (who I think is that boy seen in the prologue that she was wondering about).

As for that 2nd [don’t go] part, I think that may be some sort of statement made that isn’t actually said, but is there to highlight the confusing nature of the dream. You know how in movies where someone is dreaming and they don’t realize it, they may highlight intrusive statements or flashes of a scene that are out of sequence? I think that is what is happening here. They begged the person not to go and they were going to say something else… something… but the dream’s haziness makes it difficult for them to recall and they fall back on the “don’t go”.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the translation notes, very helpful.

2 Likes

I’ve played the game that the manga is based on, so I might be able to offer some clarification.

Those pages are actually from a scene that takes place near the end of the story. The reason why it’s hard to understand what’s going on is that a lot of important context for that scene has (understandably) been completely left out in order to not give everything away. For now, all I’ll say is that it is definitely Wadanohara saying 『行かないで』in that scene, and that “more important thing” she’s referring to is something she’s just realized she needs to tell him before he leaves.

7 Likes

I see, thanks for the clarification! Is it correct to say that the particular panel is a quick flashback? So in those bottom 3 panels, that guy is standing there and she is thinking about what she needs to tell him, but is interrupted by a flashback of something that occurred (or maybe will?) where she is begging him not to leave?

2 Likes

The whole thing is a flashback to the same moment that wadanohara cant remember properly i think. 行かないで is probably in quotation marks because after that the girl is contemplating if that was all that was said.

I think at least…

Edit: another thing

On page 17 メモカ says: いつまで寝てるのよ! as shes trying to wake up wadanohara. Is that simply a contraction of 寝ている meaning “how long will you keep sleeping”?

Also, is the の the explaining particle looking for an answer from wadanohara?

3 Likes