大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Absolute Beginners Book Club Prologue Thread

Welcome to the Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Book Club!

Summary

An Ocean in Peril!

The young witch Wadanohara has returned from a journey across the sea, only to find that her peaceful ocean home has come under attack from the nefarious Tosatsu Empire. Alongside her faithful familiars – Memoca, Dolphi, and Fukami – Wadanohara promises to do all she can to prevent a terrible war. But when a mysterious figure from her past demands that she leave, can the pure-hearted Wadanohara muster the courage and magic she needs to save the Sea Kingdom once and for all?

Details

We are reading this book as part of the Absolute Beginners Book Club. This book club will be starting in early September with an official start date to be decided on soon. Everyone is welcome to join the book club! Previous grammar and vocabulary knowledge is helpful, but we will have a vocab sheet and lots of people to help with grammar questions, so please don’t be discouraged if you are just getting started on your learning journey! If you want to see if this book if for you please check out the nomination post and a reading sample on Bookwalker.

How Book Clubs Work on WaniKani

For each weeks reading we will have a new thread for discussing the chapter. In the thread you can ask questions on grammar/ vocab, talk about the book, and help others stay motivated! We also will have a shared vocab sheet. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you plan on reading along I would highly recommend setting this thread to watching and bookmark it, so you will be up to date and have easy access to the discussion threads!

Where to Buy the Book

Digital: Bookwalker, Amazon JP, Kobo

Physical: Manga Republic

** To buy the digital version from amazon you will need a Japanese amazon account that has a Japanese address or else the book will say unavailable.
** Notes on Physical Copies: This book is unfortunately difficult to get a physical copy of. Both CDJapan and Amazon are sold out. Manga Republic has it available (used but in excellent condition) with worldwide shipping. However, their shipping times are decently long and the supply is limited, so if you plan to order from them I would do so soon.

Schedule

HOME THREAD

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
September 11th Prologue 1 to 10 9
September 18th Chp 1 13 to 26 14
September 25th Chp 2 30 to 42 12
October 2nd Chp 3 46 to 58 13
October 9th Chp 4 61 to 76 15
October 16th Chp 5 80 to 94 15
October 23rd Chp 6 97 to 112 15
October 30th Chp 7 116 to 132 17

*Page numbers are from the digital bookwalker copy. Also, there are pages without text so I will be only including pages with text in the page count column.
*Pgs 142-143 have a two page bonus manga.

Vocabulary

14 Likes

Welcome everyone to the prologue thread! This thread will be used to discuss anything from the prologue. Bookclub officially starts on the 11th, but if you are reading ahead and have any questions feel free to ask. Also, please make sure to blur or hide any spoilers.

In addition, I realized that the page numbers in the schedule may be a bit confusing/ off due to how I originally was viewing the manga, so I will be reviewing them and updating the schedule this weekend.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

8 Likes

The vocab sheet is currently only shared with read access, so I haven’t been able to update it with the words I’ve found.

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know I will get that fixed right now!

2 Likes

Looks good now, thanks.
I was reading ahead a little (as I am guaranteed to eventually fall behind) and keeping track of the words I encountered, I’ll start slowly adding them now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Of course! And sounds good! (I’m also probably going to start reading ahead this weekend for the same reason :sweat_smile:) Thanks for helping add to the list!

2 Likes

For newcomers please don’t get scared off by the first page (page 1, color, before table of contents) - that page is significantly harder than the rest of the prologue (I haven’t finished it yet). If you are having trouble with that page, I recommend skipping it for now as I don’t think it will significantly impact your understanding.

I’ve added >60 vocab sheet entries covering the prologue + notes (e.g. book & author name). I tried to exclude “grammar” and may have missed some kana-only words. Some entries within a page may not be in exactly the order they appear in. I hope it’s useful :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I’ve been going through the prologue and adding all of the words I don’t know to my Anki deck using Yomichan (I am not confident enough in my understanding at this point to be able to contribute much to the vocab sheets, sorry!). There are quite a few new words for me, so I might end up falling behind schedule, too. But I think it’ll be worthwhile for me to try and pick up some more vocabulary as I read, so I’m okay with taking it slow. I’m also planning to start reading before schedule (and starting my Anki deck a little before that), but I suspect my lead won’t last very long, haha

5 Likes

Thank you for letting everyone know! Based on just skimming the manga, I’m pretty sure the first page is one of, if not the most intimidating/ difficult page in the entire book :sweat_smile: Also, thank you for adding so much to the vocab sheet I really appreciate it!

5 Likes

For those on digital versions like Book Walker the page numbers we will be using are the ones that are visible on the bottom of the pages, e.g. page 3:

The “Book Walker page” is usually 2 higher than this because Book Walker calls the front cover page 1. E.g. page 3 of this book is “Book Walker page” 5:

7 Likes

Well, after typing this up, I realized I misinterpreted the posting of this thread as today being the start day. So I guess I got too excited and I’m reading ahead, haha. Will go ahead and post what I had, just basic reactions about my experience.

That might be the most pleasant reading experience I’ve had since starting Japanese. That first page indeed has its tricky moments, and is a little packed with words I don’t yet know, so I half-read and half-skipped it, but it was a very nice surprise to go through the entire rest of the prologue and pretty much only not know 帝国 (which is easy to get the gist of from 国) and 使い魔. Either it’s easier than Ayumu, or I’m actually learning this language, or both. I think it’s a bit of both, but it goes to show how much improvement you can see sticking with the book clubs!

The art is super cute, too.

9 Likes

Thank you for your work!
I threw what was in the vocab sheet into a vocabulary deck. Almost all new for me. This is my first book club.

I havent even bought the book yet but I probably will soon.

5 Likes

It would be a shame not to now you have the vocab deck!

4 Likes

Yes this is the main reason why I need to edit the schedule :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’m glad you found the reading enjoyable! (and yay for progress!) I know a lot of people usually like to start reading a little early for various reasons, so I figured it would be good to get the first thread up.

3 Likes

The schedule has been updated! If the page count or starting page look slightly off it is because I excluded page breaks (they usually have two page breaks between chapters) and chapter title pages (so the chapter start page may be 1 page ahead of the table of contents) please let me know if you have any questions!

Also as @Micki said this is based of the number printed in the bottom of the page of the book as opposed to the bookwalker page count.

4 Likes

You’re welcome, I’m delighted it’s helpful :grin:

A lot of my Anki vocab deck is made from me cross-comparing the vocab sheets for various manga (to try avoid learning rare words early on).

In terms of a vocab deck you might want to exclude a few of the words, particularly from the first page, as I haven’t seen them before and I’m not sure how likely they are to come up again in this book.

1st page words I'm not sure are worth SRS-ing

過ぎ去る, 幾度, 照らす

For 変わらぬ its probably more useful to learn the root / more-common form first - 変える to change

For 今宵 you might want to be careful as there are multiple ways of expressing tonight/this evening, I hadn’t encountered this one before, but I’m also new to this.

Also note that for 2 of the words (又 and 君) I added the Kanji in but they appear in the prologue as kana (the notes column says this).

If you’re SRS-ing vocab from it then it’d probably be very helpful to see those words used in context :wink:, so for at least the book seems quite approachable (again, if you ignore that scary 1st page).

4 Likes

Youre probably right, but I was also thinking I wanted to cram on the vocab so I would recognize the words when I finally do see them and reading would be easier :thinking:

I do have my srs vocab decks set to sort by how common the word is, so I may not see those for a while anyways.

2 Likes

These look great, thanks!

It might be useful to update the first post in this thread with a link back to the home thread.

Awesome! That should solve it then.

Are you primarily doing recognition (kanji/kana → English meaning)? or also reproduction (English meaning → kanji/kana) ?

If you are doing reproduction you might need to be careful with words with very similar meanings, I’ve had problems before with the various ways of saying night/tonight/evening :sweat_smile: (which is why I was worried about 今宵)

3 Likes

Both. But it includes multiple meanings. I do often only memorize one, but at least Ive seen the others.

2 Likes