大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Absolute Beginners Book Club Chapter 2 Thread

Welcome to the Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Book Club!

Summary

An Ocean in Peril!

The young witch Wadanohara has returned from a journey across the sea, only to find that her peaceful ocean home has come under attack from the nefarious Tosatsu Empire. Alongside her faithful familiars – Memoca, Dolphi, and Fukami – Wadanohara promises to do all she can to prevent a terrible war. But when a mysterious figure from her past demands that she leave, can the pure-hearted Wadanohara muster the courage and magic she needs to save the Sea Kingdom once and for all?

Details

We are reading this book as part of the Absolute Beginners Book Club. This book club will be starting in early September with an official start date to be decided on soon. Everyone is welcome to join the book club! Previous grammar and vocabulary knowledge is helpful, but we will have a vocab sheet and lots of people to help with grammar questions, so please don’t be discouraged if you are just getting started on your learning journey! If you want to see if this book if for you please check out the nomination post and a reading sample on Bookwalker.

How Book Clubs Work on WaniKani

For each weeks reading we will have a new thread for discussing the chapter. In the thread you can ask questions on grammar/ vocab, talk about the book, and help others stay motivated! We also will have a shared vocab sheet. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you plan on reading along I would highly recommend setting this thread to watching and bookmark it, so you will be up to date and have easy access to the discussion threads!

Where to Buy the Book

Digital: Bookwalker, Amazon JP, Kobo

Physical: Manga Republic

** To buy the digital version from amazon you will need a Japanese amazon account that has a Japanese address or else the book will say unavailable.
** Notes on Physical Copies: This book is unfortunately difficult to get a physical copy of. Both CDJapan and Amazon are sold out. Manga Republic has it available (used but in excellent condition) with worldwide shipping. However, their shipping times are decently long and the supply is limited, so if you plan to order from them I would do so soon.

Schedule

HOME THREAD

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
September 11th Prologue 1 to 10 9
September 18th Chp1 13 to 26 14
September 25th Chp 2 30 to 42 12
October 2nd Chp 3 46 to 58 13
October 9th Chp 4 61 to 76 15
October 16th Chp 5 80 to 94 15
October 23rd Chp 6 97 to 112 15
October 30th Chp 7 116 to 132 17

*Pgs 142-143 have a two page bonus manga.

Vocabulary

Weekly Update
  • I’m reading ahead
  • I’m reading with the schedule
  • I’m reading at a slower pace
  • I’m no longer reading

0 voters

7 Likes

What’s the purpose of the “ne” on page 30: さっきねいっぱいいたの。。。?I’m used to ね appearing as a sentence-ender, but not half way through a sentence? Thank you!

1 Like

I think, due to his nervousness, he’s not articulating complete sentences. There’s a distinct space between ね and いっぱい, so I think it is still behaving as a sentence ender (at least that’s my impression).

Where I’m at with page 30:

Wadanohara:
Eh? Shark?

Dorupi:
Yea…
Y’know, the bloodlust
It set in fully…
Sharks are scary so, I don’t want to…

Wadanohara: It’s ok, Dorupi!
The things is, [sharks] aren’t the slightest bit scary! ***

Dorupi: Really?

Wadanohara: Yep!

***I’m stretching with this one. I’m still struggling with のだ/んだ in general, and this one is either conjugated in a way I’m not recognizing or I’m missing something.

Also- I couldn’t really place where he was going with いっぱいいたの, so I went with the 5th definition on Jisho for the いた portion :woman_shrugging:

Question: Are we going with Dorupi or just “Droopy” for this character? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes
My Page 30 Translation

え 鮫?
What, a shark?

うん… さっきね いっぱい いたの…
Yes… Just now, there was a big…
さっきね appears as entry titles on Japanese blogs, but can’t find other instances of it. ね possibly it gives さっき more of a “This just happened right now” feel to it.

大丈夫よ ドルピー
It’s ok Dolphi.

ちっとも怖くなんかないんだよ
You know you don’t have to become scared at all, right?
I think か is acting as an inner question, making the よ ending softer.

ほんと?
Really?

うん!
Of course!

わだっち
Wadacchi

なにか飛んできたわ
Something is flying towards us.
Female sentence ender わ

え?
Huh?

I’ll hopefully post the other pages and my thoughts as I go, but this is all I have time for right now.

Wiki says her name is actually Dolphi, I’ve been calling her Droopy too haha.

2 Likes

What :rofl: :rofl: The existential crisis makes so much sense now. I assumed Droopy cuz she was always upset so far lmao

Edit (I just noticed your translation):

O dang, I think I just went all over the place with this one

1 Like
Page 32

Screenshot_2021-09-25_20-22-25

わだっちの どぢっち〜 よかったわネ

Wadachi’s dodicchi, that was good right?

Uhh… what’s a どぢっち? I feel like I’m missing something obvious. I keep looking back thinking I made a typo before translating. I haven’t looked too far ahead in the text but I don’t think they explain it in the next few pages.

I like how the three columns in that dialogue line up with the small っs. I wonder if that was done on purpose, like she’s kindof singing the words.

1 Like

I’m also confused by the shark exchange between Wadanohara and Dolphi, while I think I get the gist of it I would like to know exactly what Dolphi’s saying…

Also

page 31

p31
If i understand, Kuromaki is dissing the sea, calling it monotonous, but what’s the purpose of 参った here?

1 Like

So far I’ve been spelling it out literally as Dorupi. Good to know that it’s semi-officially on the wiki as Dolphi though. I’m loving the character design for all of them so far! I didn’t realize at first that フカミ is another familiar (until I happened to read the book summary at the top of all the threads). She looks more independent and mature than the others for sure.

1 Like

I was about to ask about this same panel lol, I think Memoka is calling Wadanohara clumsy? Memoka’s speech is a challenge :sweat_smile:

jsho

3 Likes

Not too confident on this since I got hung up on it for a bit too.

page 31

ほんと (さっ)(ぶう)(けい)だよね (まい)ったよ ハハハ

(I’m) truly dreary. I’m beaten, hahaha

As for 「参った」, it seems like that’s just a set phrase meaning “I’m beaten”. If you look at the dictionary form, 「参る」it can mean “to be defeated” so you can see where the phrase came from.

Actually I think you’re probably right that “dreary” is referring to the sea. Or maybe her trip was dreary? Seems ambiguous.

3 Likes

Do you think the っち after that is just to rhyme with the previous line? Something like:

わだっちの - Wada-chi 's
どぢっち〜 - blunder-chi
よかったわネ - was good, right!?

1 Like

I could be wrong but I don’t think Japanese tries to rhyme at all- that’s why there’s so little rhyming in their music, because the language inheritently rhymes a ton by itself so it’s not really an artistic goal in the culture

1 Like

Hmm… I think you’re right about it not being rhyming. I guess it could be more of a rhythm/stress thing? I’m really just grasping at straws here though, since I’m not sure how else to interpret it at the moment.

2 Likes

I’m kind of wondering if this is just a strange name メモカ gave the object? の implying that it’s Wadanohara’s “どぢっち”??

So basically saying “Wadda’s thingy! Thank goodness!”

(I did misinterpret Dolphi being scared seeing a shark as her being full of bloodlust so probably don’t take too much heart in what I say lmaoooo)

1 Like

I’ve been filling in the vocab sheets before the club starts each week, but I haven’t had enough time to fill in much for chapter 3 yet though sorry, and tomorrow I’m having surgery on my left arm so I won’t be able to type much for a while.

Hopefully everyone can help to fill in the chapter 3 vocab together as they go along :smiley:

6 Likes

Thank you for the vocab! And wishing you all the best during your surgery. :sparkles:

3 Likes

Bit late reading this week, struggling with a cold and this chapter was hard work when all I felt like doing was sleeping. I think I got the gist though.

3 Likes

わだっち is just a nickname; if you know anything about the Persona games you might recognize “yukaricchi” or “risecchi” for Yukari and Rise respectively. It’s a way of making the name sound cute.

No, there’s no object here-- she’s saying わだっち is a ドジっち (which is following the same rule as above, making ドジ sound cute and playful). This is one of those non-obvious uses of の, usually used by young girls. お兄ちゃんのバカ! for example doesn’t mean “my brother’s idiot”, it means “big brother, you’re such an idiot!”.

8 Likes

Ahh thanks. I understood っち making the name cute, but I wasn’t sure about it for other things.

2 Likes

After reading a couple more pages after this… :

I don’t think she was dissing the sea- I think she was lamenting on what a difficult trip she had. Reading some more of the pages, it doesn’t seem like they intended to meet up. 黒巻さん delivered the forgotten important parcel- later Wadanohara excessively thanks her for “going through the trouble” of bringing it- so I think after all the “gee golly that was rough” from 黒巻さん, Wadanohara is fretting- not only that her trip was troublesome but- why did she do it in the first place? Then the purse/bag is revealed.

2 Likes