大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Volume 2 Off-Shoot Club Chp 13/14 Thread

Welcome to the Wadanohara Off-Shoot Book Club for Volume 2!!

wada2

This book club is for people who want to continue reading Wadanohara, which we started with the absolute beginners book club.
The homethread for the first book is located here-> Book 1 Homethread

Volume 2 Summary

Long-awaited by fans all over the world! The creator himself made a comic of the undersea pure love RPG !!

The witch “Wadanohara” has returned to her hometown of the sea with her familiars. However, the former familiar “Samekichi” stands in front of her. A cute but sad and a little dark story that is spun on the sea is complete.

Schedule

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Nov 20th Chp 8 7 to 24 18
Nov 27th Chp 9 27 to 44 18
Dec 4th Chp 10 47 to 64 18
Dec 11th Chp 11 65 to 80 14
Dec 18th Chp 12 81 to 98 18
Dec 25th Chp 13 101 to 118 18
Jan 8th Chp 14 119 to 138 20
Jan 15th Chp 15 139 to 156 18
Jan 22nd Chp 16 157 to 180 24
Due to holidays I scheduled 2 weeks for chapter 13!
There is a bit of bonus manga at the end again.

Where to Purchase the Book

Digital

Bookwalker (currently you can get 300 coin back until 10-27-2021 JP time)
Amazon JP

Physical
Manga Republic (copies will be very limited and shipping can take a bit)

Vocab

Volume 2 Home Thread

How’s Your Reading Going?
  • I’m ahead of the schedule
  • I’m reading with the schedule
  • I’m a bit behind
  • I’m reading at my own pace

0 voters

1 Like

4 Likes

Happy new year to everyone!!

Chapter spoilers: We all know Wadanohara won’t die but a spear to the heart seems like quite the fatal wound hahaha. Seems we are reaching the climax!

Some weird sentences I did not understand this week:

Page 102

I understand this sentence as “… did not smell the alcohol” but I don’t get who would be the subject, I’m guessing Herika since it was what dolphin dude was talkin about, but what would “Herika did not smell the alcohol” even mean?

Page 105

Does he mean “I am the organizer” as in “I organized this” or something?

And why is he like “Ahhh! My job!” now, I’m so confused

1 Like
Page 102

The subject is indeed Herika’s, I believe.

Japanese negatives can get confusing. “Didn’t smell” would be 嗅がなかった. 嗅いだ just means “smelled”.

It’s followed by の and ではない in the informal form "んじゃない”. My understanding is that the first の is acting as a nominalizer, turning the sentence “お酒のにおいを嗅いだ” into a noun. Something like “The fact that she smelled the alcohol”. じゃない means “isn’t it?” in this particular case. Keep in mind that the じゃない negative is not negating the verb 嗅ぐ, but the whole nominalized phrased - it’s negating “the fact that she smelled the alcohol”.

Putting all this together and combined with the current context, it’d be something like “Isn’t it (because of the fact that) she smelled the alcohol (that she’s acting drunk?)”.

Page 105

Yes, he organized the party in this case.

Not sure if this is a common japanese custom or something, but my understanding is that, as the organizer of the party, it was his job to do the toasting, but now that’s been taken from him and that’s why he’s disappointed / vexed.

4 Likes

A happy new year from me as well! This week’s chapter was a bit harder for me… Consequently, I have a few questions, and as always I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer them! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Page 103

I don’t know how to interpret 楽しまなきゃ. According to ichi.moe this form is a negative version of ~えば-form from 楽しむ, so a conditional. but how does this fit here? And why is it negative?

Page 104-1

I think the sentence shown means: These rabbit-folks had a wild temperament and were venting their anger, right? But I’m not sure how to insert ただの into my sentence… I’m also not quite sure what ただの means and what function の serves in this context.

Page 104-2

A lot of things confuse me here… The first sentence: I suppose 入ってこれない refers to the rabbits not coming, but who leaves who alone? Does she say: Anyhow, they haven’t come, so it’s good to leave them alone. Or: Anyhow, they haven’t come, so they will leave us alone, which is good. (as you can see, I’m also not sure how to work いいのよ into the sentence…)
And then the second statement: “Leaving them (?) alone for thousand year weill calm things down, right?” Is this a valid translation?

Page 111

S111_1
I don’t know what ところとか means here. The rest of the sentence means: I didn’t completely heal you with my magic.

Thanks!

2 Likes
page 103

It’s just a casual way of saying 楽しまなければいけない. 楽しまなきゃいけない is a contracted version of the same phrase, and in casual conversation people often shorten it to just 楽しまなきゃ.

page 104-1

ただ means ‘just’, as in they were ‘just venting their anger’. Since ただ and 八つ当たり are both nouns (although ただ can also sometimes be an adverb), you have to use の to connect them.

page 104-2

入ってこれない is negative potential tense, so it’s “because they can’t come in, we should leave them alone.” (Because Wadanohara fixed the barrier, so in theory they can’t come in.)

Strictly speaking, it should be 入ってこられない, but sometimes people casually drop the ら in potential verb form. This is known as ら抜き. It won’t be considered odd if you use it in casual conversation, but it’s best not to use it in writing or if you’re taking a language test, because it will (correctly) be considered improper.

page 111

ところ here is just a noun meaning ‘place’, with the rest of the sentence before that being a relative clause modifying it. とか is a particle indicating a list of examples. Wadanohara is asking him if there’s anything wrong with his injuries, such as any places her magic didn’t completely heal.

5 Likes
Chapter 14

We are finally getting the shark backstory, and it’s a sad one. I’m guessing the climax will be knowing why he ended up betraying her if they both seemed so happy. Only time will tell!

1 Like

I also totally enjoyed chapter 14! It was quite easy too! In fact I have no question this week, which is a first for me! (yay progress!)
I also found wadanohara and samekichi interacting quite cute! I’m really curious how the story continues!

1 Like

Chp 15 is now linked in the schedule. I also have made this a chp 13/ 14 thread. So sorry for forgetting to set up the thread last week!

3 Likes