📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

I stumbled across this book recently, and though it wasn’t what I expected (I thought it would be stories, not random lines… and it has romaji XD ) I found it quite fun to read and the very direct translations and varying grammar helps me catch so much! i like it!
I did manage to do a chapter a day for a while (about 4 pages)
I only use the lines as reading practice, not their Kanji mnemonics part

Look who I found on the back!!

Tofugu = our WaniKani overlords

14 Likes

Also, isn’t that the very Kristen who used to be a WK moderator? It’s quite possible that’s the very same Kristen!

P. S.

そうですね。

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure it is!
(Used to be? What did i miss?)

1 Like

Well, she resigned from being a moderator and deleted her account two years ago… :frowning:

2 Likes

That explains why I couldn’t find her username when I tried to tag her (To show I found her “in the wild”)

2 Likes

This sounds like a really cool idea! I also do not have a summer vacation (:sob::sob::sob:) however I am trying to read at least something everyday so good to have a bit more motivation!

I’m currently reading ハイキュー3 with the book club here, and just about to start on よつばと3 & 魔女の宅急便1 in a mini book club with with some pals (we’ve previously read the first 2 よつばと but this will be our first foray into books, scary!). I’m also reading ナルト 1 as a chill non book club read, and やがて君になる2 (but as that’s on my iPad rather than physical it’s on the back burner for now). So many things to read, too little time!

10 Likes

i’d really like to try out demon slayer, although i’ll go VERY slowly

11 Likes

Well, there’s my excuse to get to reading 「名探偵コナン 瞳の中の暗殺者」.

I haven’t yet finished any book I’ve started. But if I split this one over about 60 days, it should be very manageable daily amounts.

11 Likes

And I read another part of the five part of an Ask Graded reader level 4 volume. So I’ve gotten started on my read every day summer. Also no summer vacation here either, but doesn’t have to be a lot read each day, ne. ^^

5 Likes

Basically that’s what I’ve been doing for more than a year now, so yay :tada:

14 Likes

I’ve long since run out of excuses for not starting to read more regularly. Count me in on this challenge! ^>^

book_durtle

8 Likes

Yes, I absolutely love this idea! I’ve booked some time off this summer and now I have every excuse to spend it on (slowly :sweat_smile:) reading.

For now I hope to finish both「 夏目友人帳 ~うつせみに結ぶ~」and volume 1 of the manga version of 「乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…」.

Good luck to everybody participating! :books: :beach_umbrella:

Reading goals :books:

I’m going to try and read every day, even if it’s just 1 page. New books will be added to my goals as I go. :books:

Light novels

夏目友人帳 ~うつせみに結ぶ~ (25% done) (very limited furigana)
名探偵コナン 紺青の拳 (furigana)
ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂 1 (3/6 stories read) (furigana)

Manga

乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった… 1
やがて君になる 1
乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった… 2
やがて君になる 2
青春オカルティーン 1 (over 50% read)
花のみぞ知る 1
花のみぞ知る 2
花のみぞ知る 3

Days read :spiral_calendar:

| June | 月 | 火 | 水 | 木 | 金 | 土 | 日 |
|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|
|Week 22| | | | | | | |
|Week 23| | | | | | | |
|Week 24| | | | | | |
|Week 25| | | | | | | |
|Week 26| | | | | | | |

June updates

June 1-2 - 17.5 pages of light novel 夏目友人帳 ~うつせみに結ぶ~
June 3-5 - 11 pages of light novel 夏目友人帳, 21 pages of manga 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…vol 1
June 6-7 - 74 pages of manga 乙女ゲーム 1 [completed], 53 pages of manga やがて君になる
June 8-10 - 56 pages of manga やがて君になる, 36 pages of light novel 名探偵コナン 紺青の拳
June 10-12 - 7 pages of light novel 名探偵コナン, 58 pages of manga やがて君になる 1[completed]
June 13-14 - 23 pages of light novel 名探偵コナン
June 15-16 - 27 pages of light novel 名探偵コナン
June 17-20 - 127 pages of light novel 名探偵コナン 紺青の拳 [completed]
June 21-26 - 144 pages of manga 乙女ゲーム 2 [completed]
June 27-28 - 15 pages of children’s book ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂 1 and 80 pages of manga やがて君になる 2
June 29-30 - 85 pages of manga やがて君になる 2 [completed], 8 pages of 月刊少女野崎くん 1

| July | 月 | 火 | 水 | 木 | 金 | 土 | 日 |
|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|
|Week 26| | | | | | | |
|Week 27| | | | | | | |
|Week 28| | | | | | |
|Week 29| | | | | | | |
|Week 30| | | | | | | |

July updates

July 1 - 16 pages of manga 青春オカルティーン
July 2-3 - some twitter and youtube comments; one NHK Easy News article and 25 pages of manga 青春オカルティーン
July 4 - 27 pages of children’s book ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂 1 and 3 pages of manga 青春オカルティーン
July 5-7 - 25 pages of manga 青春オカルティーン, manga 花のみぞ知る 1 [completed], manga 花のみぞ知る 2 [completed]
July 8-12 - manga 花のみぞ知る 3 [completed], 12 pages of children’s book ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂 1
July 13-18 - 3 pages of light novel 夏目友人帳 ~うつせみに結ぶ~, 55 pages of children’s book ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂 1 [completed]

10 Likes

Definitely an awesome idea, yay :heart_eyes: I’ll never be on holiday - plus it would be too short lol - so I’ll extend the period from today till the end of August and see where I’ll be in three months :books:

6 Likes

Redglare’s summary post :bookmark: :books: :durtle_hello:

Calendar

June
Week 22
Week 23
Week 24
Week 25
Week 26
July
Week 26
Week 27
Week 28
Week 29
Week 30

Goals

Books:
・Subete ga F ni naru
・SAO vol. 7 & 8
・Re:Zero vol. 1
・Honzuki vol. 4
・Finish part 2 of Honzuki: vol. 5, 6 & 7 (Extra challenge)

Manga:
・YagaKimi vol. 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8
・Urara Meirochou vol. 2
(Recently added)・Kono Oto Tomare vol. 1 - 17

Ahaha… now how do I finish all of this? :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:

June 1

・Read 4% or so of すべてがFになる.

I’m not on summer vacation quite yet, still a bit busy writing graduation thesis, but is almost done. Will travel back home next week, so will have plenty of time after that. This is not even my final form :durtle_tomato:

Link to daily posts

June:
      01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06,
07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13,
14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,
21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27,
28, 29, 30.

July:
                  01, 02, 03, 04,
05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,
12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18,
19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25,
26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31.

8 Likes

Same here :sweat_smile:
Here’s my bookshelf on bookwalker.jp:

Don’t let those “100%” misguide you - I haven’t yet finished any of them, 100% just means that I’ve browsed through the book.

Right now I’m reading the first volume of はたらく細胞 manga (today finished the third chapter out of 4), so that 77% is actually accurate.
After that I plan to read the light novel version of はたらく細胞 - then, if all goes well, I’ll buy and read other volumes of the light novel, then I will finish the other books I have - and then I will buy and read the other manga volumes, at least that’s the plan.

10 Likes

I’ll bite too! It’s a nice and beneficial idea ^^

How do you all plan to keep track of it? Do you prefer to keep a personal registry or do you want to have a common wiki one?

5 Likes

Absolutely awesome idea! As a perpetual straggler with “get on reading wagon”, I’m super happy you created this post!

Will update tonight with my progress.

4 Likes

Yay! :durtle_love: Glad to have you onboard :grin:

I think I personally prefer writing a post for each day. There’s no right or wrong way, if someone rather wants one post per week or something like that they can go for that approach too. I think I might write stuff like long term goals sometime (i.e. books I want to have read), how much I’ve read each day, maybe about the contents or plot unless it’s a book club book (while using blurred text to avoid spoilers :caught_durtling: ), stuff like that. But each to their own! Feel free to post whatever fits you best :slight_smile:

I did reserve the second post just in case, but I’m not sure :thinking: What do you guys think?

I’m off to sleep now :wave: :zzz:

7 Likes

Im gonna participate! I will take this as reading a little outside of textbook. I honestly can’t read much but I at least will try to read through short stories with what I can and slowly hopefully I can understand more and more as the next months go by! Summer lasts til September here (wooo California) so that gives me three months to gauge progress :slight_smile:

Today I read through the first two chapters of チーズスイートホーム (Chi’s Sweet Home). I bought it forever ago and havent even attempted to read it. The grammar seems fairly basic but it gets kinda tricky when Chi changes the words up lmao It is nice to be learning new words since my vocabulary is pretty limited.

6 Likes

Same here. I like reading other people posts for inspirations, and more posts means more likes to give (and recieve).

As for a wiki, would be nice to have one with summary table listing participants, and maybe few optional stats, like date joined and number of days completed. I can see from the thread that reading level and ambitions of participants vary greatly. We have a professional anime translator and fluent speakers, along with beginners, so I would not put something like number of pages into the summary table.

8 Likes