📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

1Q84 Book 3: 25 Pages, up to page 97.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 57: July 27th
What did I read?: シメジ シミュレーション Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 20 pages (2 chapters)
How long did it take me?: 35 min

More casual weirdness :heart: Not gonna lie, I really want Majime’s big stuffed salamander, it’s cute as heckkk. (But honestly, オオサンショウウオ? What kind of a word is that lol, it’s so many vowels xD)

11 Likes

Home post July 28th read chapter 8 of チーズスイートホーム (1) and translated 1 difficult panel from からかい上手の高木さん (2). Another day of being way too tired for anything more, and even feeling too tired for this.

13 Likes

Forbidden Scrollery (2), 14 pages in one day, end of chapter 第十二話. Not bad considering I wanted to slow down.

Word of last two days is 付喪神

Tsukumogami - Wikipedia
For only reason I wrote it down yesterday and today I remembered both its reading and meaning.
I’m playing with a format for writing down unknown interesting words, current one is

付喪神 【つくもがみ】[n] artifact spirit; in folk belief, long-lived objects (household objects, living beings, nature, etc.) become inhabited by a spirit
 付 Kun: つ-> つく; adhere; attach; refer to; append
 喪 Kun: も; miss; mourning
 神 Kun: かみ; gods; mind; soul

喪 is hard to remember, but I remember that deepl believes 付喪神 is a mourning god, and since neither 付 nor 神 are about morning, 喪 is the only candidate for grieving.
Today there were no word that seemed to be worth writing down.

10 Likes

Unfortunately weird things in my life turned into bad things in my life after all, and my reading speed slowed down to a crawl, but I still did something every day.
What’s more, at this point I ambitiously would like to try to do a 100-day streak. :thinking:

Summary post

Day 30
July 25

• カラフル (25 → 30%)

Day 31
July 26

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (37% → 39%)

Day 32
July 27

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (39% → 42%)

Day 33
July 28

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (42% → 44%)

Thank you for your response :heart:

12 Likes

Summary post
July 28

・Read Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活1(20% → 21%) Just a few pages, was probably less than 1% :eyes:

Not Japanese stuff

I finished English book :caught_durtling: Great book! Has interesting format - quite the visual experience. Reminded me that I like sci-fi, totally forgot. It’s called “Illuminae”, and is written by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. I won’t write about the plot - not good at not spoiling stuff, but one thing I can mention is that it is set in the future and outer space. (Which means there are futuristic words. I enjoyed those.)

I’m super impressed at how much work must have been put into every detail of the story and the format/layout. Very design, much wow :ok_hand: I’ll probably start the sequel tomorrow, bought that one too years ago. I feel like I’ve read these before but I can’t remember xD

Anyway, did non-Japanese stuffs today:P

11 Likes

I finished the 2nd half of chapter 10 of 1Q84 book 2-1. :partying_face: I also read One Piece volumes 11-14.

Yesterday I read another 3 volumes of One Piece, 15-17, and finished off volume 5 of the 電子版 of 異世界妹. Volume 6 gets released on the 30th! :slight_smile: Wonder if it’s going to be part of unlimited right off the bat…

Today I read yet another few volumes of One Piece, 18-21, and chapter 11 of 1Q84. which means… I’m actually caught up the next chapter is the one we’re currently reading. I’ll try to finish the last chapter by the weekend and then devote some time to 人間失格 on the weekend itself.

10 Likes

1Q84 Book 3, 18 pages. 37% complete

10 Likes

Summary post

Day 58: July 28th
How much did I read?: 24 pages (2 chapters)
How long did it take me?: 1 hour

Enjoyable chapters, as always. What a great cactus pun :joy: Also, I love this weird image of ancient civilization they arrive at in Chapter 16, with the mosasaurus that wears glasses :joy:

11 Likes

Home post. July 29th another exhausted day, and chapter 9 of チーズスイートホーム (1) ended up being a difficulty spike too much for my tired brain to read in one go, so I dabbled in a few panels before heading back to do ~6 panels of catch-up from からかい上手の高木さん (1). I’m hoping tomorrow will be more significant progress, it’s all just been a bit exhausting with work.

10 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Days 56 and 57

Finished chapter 11, and read half of chapter 12! I did have to take one day off just to sleep. But I plan on making that (and my other missing day) up in the days following the challenge :notes:

I’m getting close to the end of this book! Just 4 more chapters.

9 Likes

OK welll… Last week’s 冷たい密室 weekly assignment was really long, so it took me from 18th to 27th :exploding_head: to read it! (I was also very busy otherwise, so I did read every day but on some days I could not do more than one or two pages). Then I immediately continued with this week’s assignment (which was a bit shorter luckily) and read it all on 27th and 28th :grin:

Today I realized that I did not finish a single book this month, which needs to be changed for the sake of my Bookmeter statistics! So I decided to finish a book called さくらえび that I have sitting on my shelf for far too long, and also it belongs to @Belerith and I want to return it at some point (maybe soon-ish). So these are all very good reasons for finishing it, I think.

About さくらえび

The book contains a bunch of very short episodes taken from the life of the mangaka Sakura Momoko (or so it seems), written from a first-person POV. Some of them are really funny (mainly when she talks about her family, especially her father), but some are about famous people she interacted with, and as I don’t know these people, I can’t really relate to the stories, so it feels a bit weird at times. Therefore it was a bit of a mixed bag, and I would not particularly recommend this book to anybody :wink:

10 Likes

Yesterday
魔法少女は恋しない! Episode.01 It was just a chapter not the whole manga. I love those magical girl manga. My secret dream is to become a magical girl one day. Then I will just mount a broom and fly to a better place.

人形のアサ It’s just the first chapter. From the premise people would imagine it to be something super pervy. But actually it’s not, but a rather cute manga. The protagonist finds a love doll prototype which can move and talk, and takes her home. The doll is thankful and wants to thank him with her body lol. Instead she cleans the dudes room and finds his pervy manga collection. She is totally interested and starts to read them. It seems the protagonist’s job is writing erotic novels.

Today
I read the first chapter of 魔法少女にあこがれて ストーリアダッシュ連載版. Utena the protagonist really likes magical girls. One day a mascot appears and tells her she is chosen. But instead of being chosen becoming a magical girl, she is chosen to be a villainess. Lol she really enjoys making cute magical girls suffer.

11 Likes

Completed 7 more pages of Forbidden Scrollery (2)
Now it’s time to sleep.

10 Likes

Summary post
July 29

・Read Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活1(21% → 26%)

Just a few days left until next month :eyes:

12 Likes

Wiki post

Long time no post! Being on vacation, and then starting work really messes with my update schedule, but I’ve more or less managed to keep up with reading every day! Here’s a bunch of updates all at once.

July 20 Update
Exhausting day, so I just read about 6 pages of ホリミヤ before bed for a few minutes.

July 21 Update
My birthday! Actually had a lot more of a relaxing day (finally) and had more time to read. Finished out chapter 4 of ホリミヤ.

July 22 Update
Another long and exhausting day, so it was a short reading day. About 6 pages of ホリミヤ in about 10 minutes before I called it a night.

July 23 Update
Last day on vacation. Exhausted after lots and lots of walking in hot and humid air. Finished up chapter 5 of ホリミヤ in about 25 min.

July 24 Update
I missed my bus back to Boston and had to wait 3 hours at the bus station for the next bus. Ended up catching up with the week’s ハイキュー!! reading (I love suggesting that we read more and then not being able to do it >.<) over the course of 40 - 50 min or so.

July 25 Update
Went up to Maine to visit a friend and it was a really nice, windy day. Managed to read another 6 pages of ホリミヤ very quickly.

July 26 Update
First day at work! Exciting day, though completely full of on-boarding. Still, managed to read the rest of chapter 6 of ホリミヤ and finish out the first volume.

July 27 Update
This day was a lot more exhausting, and the motivation just wasn’t there. Only read about 7 pages from chapter 28 of ハイキュー!! and it was text heavy so it took closer to 20 min (longer than I would have liked and part of the reason I quit partway through).

July 28 Update
Finished out the rest of chapter 28, though again, it continued to be text heavy. Took about 30 min.

July 29 Update
Working from home instead of commuting in has many benefits, including sleeping in and being at home when you’re done with work. Today was an easier day so I ended up reading all of ch. 29 of ハイキュー!! This section continues to be text and word heavy though, and I gotta admit, I’m struggling a little (and feeling demotivated at not keeping with my earlier pace). Took about 1 hour.

13 Likes

1Q84 Book 3: 27 Pages, 1hr 45 mins.
Also almost finished with Tobira, only 3 more grammar points to study and then I’ll be done with it. I’ll, of course, revise what I have studied however so I guess it wont be the last I see of it haha.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 59: July 29th
How much did I read?: 24 pages (2 chapters)
How long did it take me?: 56 min

Kind of a busy day today (somehow, even though I feel like I really didn’t “do” that much actually? Hard to explain lol). But still made time for Shimeji. Thanks to chapter 17, I now have a better understanding of the physics of Majime’s fried egg :joy: Also I think they were watching The Truman Show in the movie theater :thinking:

10 Likes

Home post.

July 30th update.

Still feeling very exhausted so yesterday I decided to take today off to rest, I wanted to do some reading today but then I quickly found I was still too tired, or so I thought.
I decided to chill out for the first half of the day, every now and then dabbling some Japanese study. Eventually I decided to try push through 1 pages.

After finishing the first page I decided that I would be completely satisfied with getting 2 pages done today since it was meant to be a recovery day, but that I would be super happy if I pushed through to 3 and that 4 pages would be an unlikely stretch goal.

4 pages of からかい上手の高木さん (2) broken down and posted over to the ABBC offshoot

11 Likes

1Q84 Book 3: 37 Pages, 2 hours.
Had the urge to read today (and also had no desire to watch anime/j-dramas) so I read a lot more than usual.

12 Likes