New version 1.2 out now!
(Ugly logo, check.)
As requested by some of you, I’m creating this topic for my dictionary and SRS tool for Windows, Houhou. I’m working on this project on my free time, when I’m in the mood. I’m not trying to become a heavy player in Japanese learning software or anything. I do use Houhou every day though. I’m just posting this here for those of you who may find it convenient, like me.
What is Houhou?Houhou is an offline dictionary and SRS application for Windows I designed for myself. I found that it was a pain to have separate applications to look up and review words and kanji, that kanji lookup was unnecessarily slow, and that WaniKani’s review system is better than any other SRS out there. So I tried to create the ideal tool for looking up and memorizing kanji and vocabulary.
The kanji and word dictionaries are built on roughly the same resources used by jisho.org.
Please see post #2 for screenshots.
- Kanji lookup by meaning, reading, radicals, or by text copy;
- Unique feature: The kanji lookup by radicals uses customizable radical names. Look up an unknown kanji in 5 seconds by typing the name of its radicals;
- Kanji pages showing all meanings, readings, vocab and some additional info;
- Vocab (words) lookup by reading and/or meaning, with common vocab highlighting;
- Customizable SRS system with WaniKani-like reviews: look up a kanji/word, click the “Add to SRS” button, and it will start coming up in reviews;
- “SRS Tray” shows optional notifications when you have reviews;
- Import your items from CSV files or from WaniKani;
- Export your items to CSV;
Version 1.2 (2015-04-05):
- A new “quick add” button allows you to add vocab to your list in one click;
- Added audio support for vocabulary entries;
- Improved the vocabulary lists:
- Vocabulary is now displayed with furigana over the kanji reading when applicable;
- Variants of an entry (alternative kanji/kana readings) are now displayed and indicate when the entry itself is a variant. Click the variants to switch the entry to the clicked variant;
- Variants are no longer considered common (green background);
- The kanji writing is toned down in opacity when the word is usually read in kana;
- Entries with too many (configurable) different meanings will now automatically collapse (click a button to expand);
- Added a frequency hint taken from an analysis run on a large number of books (tells you how common the word is);
- Added a frequency rank taken from an analysis of Wikipedia articles;
- Added a JLPT level information where applicable;
- Added a WaniKani level information where applicable;
- Improved the kanji details page:
- Added kanji strokes diagram;
- Kanji frequency rank is now based on an analysis run on a large number of books, is no longer limited to the 2500 most used;
- Improved kanji grade info (now says if jouyou or only jinmeiyou and the teaching grade when learned in elementary school);
- Added JLPT level when applicable;
- Added WaniKani level when applicable (with a direct link to the kanji page).
- Kanji are now displayed using the Noto font in vocabulary lists, on the kanji details page, and in the kanji search result list;
- You can now reschedule or delay the next review date of batches of SRS entries, on the SRS item browsing page;
- The “Accepted Meanings” and “Accepted Readings” fields of SRS items are no longer mandatory: you still have to fill one or the other, but not necessarily both. When one of these fields is empty, the SRS module will not ask the matching question in reviews;
- Added a setting that allows you to define the behavior of the Houhou tray when closing the main window (will by default issue a tooltip);
- Added a setting to define the number of vocab entries per page;
- Added a setting to define the number of kanji search results per page;
- Added a setting to show/hide nanori (name) readings;
- Fixed the new SRS item window title being “SRS item edition”;
- Added a clearer message when trying to import items from a non-subscribed WaniKani account;
- Upon crashing, Houhou can now open the log, so you can easily save it and send it to me;
- Settings are hopefully no longer reset after updating to a newer version;
- Added proper credits on the bottom of the main tab.
Version 1.1.2 (2015-02-05):
- Added an export feature available from the SRS item browsing view;
- Added the missing WaniKani import feature;
- The next review date of any item can now be modified on its edition window;
- Added an option to auto-skip to the next question when entering a correct answer during reviews;
- Vocab with an outdated reading is shown on a semi-transparent gray background;
- The 60 character limitation on the kanji reading field for vocab SRS items has been lifted;
- Typing "" in a kana field will now input a “ー”;
- Fixed a crash occurring when you have SRS items above the maximal SRS level;
- Fixed a crash occurring for some users when using the “Copy” button in vocab lists;
- Fixed SRS item modification during reviews adding spaces between the accepted meanings;
- Fixed a kanji selection bug when navigating by clicking character from the vocab lists.
Version 1.1.1 (2015-01-10):
- Handled parentheses in meanings during reviews. For example, an item accepting “master (of a house)” will also accept “master”;
- Changed the tone of the colors of the answer bar after validating your answers during reviews (should be more colorblind-friendly, hopefully);
- Added an option to enable “ignore answer” shortcuts during reviews;
- Changed the way the progress of an item that has already been added to your SRS list is displayed: the progress bar now shows the progress of the item through the SRS levels, instead of the right answer ratio;
- Typing “zz” in a kana field now inputs a small tsu (っ);
- Typing “n’” in a kana field now inputs a ん;
- Typing ca/ci/cu/ce/co in a kana field now inputs か/き/く/け/こ;
- Added checkboxes on the SRS browsing page filters to allow for optional exact expression match;
- Reworked the SRS browsing list to perform (a lot) better, and allow for better selection controls;
- Fixed batch edit on SRS items that wouldn’t work with too many items;
- Clicking on a reading on a kanji page now filters its vocab by reading.
Version 1.1 (2014-12-24):
- Added a CSV import feature to add SRS items in batch or from other sources;
- Added an option in the installer and in the settings page to change your user directory path.
Version 1.0.1 (2014-12-04):
- Fixed a missing kana shortcut for kana input fields;
- Fixed a crash when starting the application on Windows 8.
Upcoming featuresUp next is reverse SRS, I guess. Unless I get carried away.
Please report bugs! I need more of them!
- A crash occurs under specific conditions when using Google’s Japanese IME on the reading filter field of the vocab tab.
- Sometimes, tooltips of the tray app appear on the top-left of the screen.
- Adding a kanji and then navigating to another one and back still shows the “Add” button.
Want to try?
Having trouble using Houhou? Questions? Bug reports? Feature requests? Any kind of feedback? Post here or mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.