[Userscript] WaniKani Just The Vocab (Skip Radicals and Kanji)

Yeah I agree with トランクさん, learning kanji just from doing vocab alone may be possible, but I think it is less efficient. I wouldn’t do it unless I really had to.

And I guess there also comes the question of whether or not it is worth it, since you still have to pay for a subscription. Maybe if the interface of other SRS apps were a serious enough problem that you may feel worth it to pay to use wanikani, but because wanikani vocab isn’t enough, you’ll still have to learn additional vocab with a non-wk SRS app so we’re back where we started.

themuteone said…But seriously, as someone who spends a lot of time (years) contributing to open source for zero profit the tone of “oh I don’t like giving away hard work” does rub me the wrong way.
I felt the same way and have to agree with this.

ichitaka said...
AngelTenshi said... Are lol and your level of JLPT your only comebacks? 
has this conversation become this firepower-type thing? fire a bullet here, comeback there... eh...

Yeah, you're not funny. 3/10 Try again. 

It's just a choice of words. She thinks better than everybody because I assume she's JLPT level 1? 2? Which is really annoying. 

It's just a choice of words. She thinks better than everybody because I assume she's JLPT level 1? 2? Which is really annoying. 
 If she were JLPT N1 she wouldn't do WaniKani or read easy reviews on Amazon for that matter. ;)
embe said...

If she were JLPT N1 she wouldn't do WaniKani or read easy reviews on Amazon for that matter. ;)
 But she did say she  doesn't really do Wani Kani because quote, "I believe SRS is actually not the best way to study Japanese.. I spend most of my time reading, writing, speaking, and listening to Japanese literally that's all I do no SRS attached.. it's just when I get bored or tired of that bc it's taxing then I do something more brain dead like SRS." 

If she's not that high a level, then I don't get why she was being so snarky about JLPT levels then. It really dosen't make sense if this were to happen:

" Well, what JPLT level are you?"
"Actually I'm 2."
" Oh lol, I thought you'd say 5, I'm 4."

But whatever, If I've made a mistake, my apologies~

Yeah if she doesn’t find SRS very useful, why go to the trouble of paying for wanikani even if it’s the only srs system she likes? I’m also curious as to what magical method she has for efficiently learning thousands of vocabulary that isn’t srs. If I don’t put vocab through srs, I am more likely to have to look it up over and over and less likely to actually retain it.

Maybe she just has a very good memory and doesn’t have to rely on srs. But unfortunately that’s not true for all of us. My memory sucks, that’s why I use srs.

Guys, this is the user that “fixed” doublevil’s opensource program HouHou to better suit her needs and offered to sell him the fix.  Leave it.

btw houhou is great and you should check it out :wink:
/t/Houhou-12-Dictionary-and-SRS-application-for-Windows/6733/1

(page 47 shows the stated opinion on opensource software)

Why would you sell modified open source software? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of open source and violate the usual open source license terms?

aniustaluwis said... Why would you sell modified open source software? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of open source and violate the usual open source license terms?
 Start reading on page 40.  Let's not rehash the discussion here.  This script may be useful to someone, so i'd rather not have a thread in the API section locked down.  

Or start a campfire thread for a community discussion on the merits/detriments to opensource.
aniustaluwis said... Why would you sell modified open source software? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of open source and violate the usual open source license terms?
It actually depends on the license. Commercial projects may use modified open source projects and be very right to do so. But it's a different topic. Lotelia was talking about attempting to sell some code modification back to the author of an open source project, which is... yeah.

But let's not loop back to that old quarrel please!

Oh geez. I’m reading that discussion and this is a complete mess. I can see now why Breadstick reacted with such hostility.

Anyway I think I’ve said all that I can think of to say so I’ll try to leave this alone.

Did not read through all the comments but you should put a warning on this script that users will miss out on such awesome kanjis as Lapiz Lazuli or whatever it’s called.

Oh yeah i just remembered, some later kanji apparently do not have any vocab like 亮, so if you only use wanikani as a vocab srs you’ll be missing out on some kanji as well

^ and 瑠 now that I went to go look at it in the database. Sorry I didn’t realize that was probably what you meant to say.

Lotelia said... Guys, this is the user that "fixed" doublevil's opensource program HouHou to better suit her needs and offered to sell him the fix.  Leave it.

btw houhou is great and you should check it out ;)

That's some pretty entertaining drama that I missed when it happened 9 months ago.
Lotelia said...
 Start reading on page 40.  Let's not rehash the discussion here.  This script may be useful to someone, so i'd rather not have a thread in the API section locked down.  

Or start a campfire thread for a community discussion on the merits/detriments to opensource.
 Anyone who thinks that this is a useful script also doesn't belong here, so I say we have the discussion here and hopefully it gets locked. 

Then we all talk about how we're N1, just self-assessed.
tmahrt said...
Lotelia said... Guys, this is the user that "fixed" doublevil's opensource program HouHou to better suit her needs and offered to sell him the fix.  Leave it.

That's some pretty entertaining drama that I missed when it happened 9 months ago.
 Ah yes I was a part of that infamous discussion. I think I was on that thread while supposedly writing an essay at some ungodly hour, so I was extra cranky. Good times? At the very least, I got a great lol when I saw this thread and Breadstick's response.

Hey guys I’m here for the shitposting.

1 Like

im gonna say this as the 1 millionth person who has said this,
ahem “Wanikani is for learning kanji, vocab is for reinforcing the kanji, if you just want vocab, go make an anki deck.”

tvtran said...
tmahrt said...

Ah yes I was a part of that infamous discussion. I think I was on that thread while supposedly writing an essay at some ungodly hour, so I was extra cranky. Good times? At the very least, I got a great lol when I saw this thread and Breadstick's response.
 Yeah, I didn't about the other thread. But it definitely makes the first two comments 10x more funny. XD

Dear Mr. AlwaysForgottenMem、

me and my boyfriend and is my one and only true contribution to this site lol 

im don’t like being serious〜 just pretend im being serious okay〜

i saw many useful~ reply post from Mr.BreadstickNinjaBread floating around and also her/his helpful memrise deck〜 so i think people can measure who has a real contribution is〜 there’s also another weirdo 60 who love being funny but always give useful clue but i won’t mention those weirdo right now〜 (sorry BreadstickNinjaさん i don’t know your gender)

instead you just whinning like this and this

i don’t want judge you why you behave and have tone like this〜 maybe you have harsh reality in past and caused your mindset broken〜 and also you always boast everything with your boyfriend、instead can you make try making stuff alone and independence without relying your boyfriend skill?i know whinning is easier than self trying、or you trying to become an emotional vampire?

by the way im just fledgling small level〜 〜 since you had higher level than me、had more knowledge and know enormous amount vocabulary than me、 had more experience than me、 feel free to bash me or whatever、 okay〜 i wish after you attack me all around you can relieved a bit〜

enjoy and have a dark days〜

Minamix I don’t know what I just read, but I do know that I loved it.