WaniKani Offline (Military Deployment)

Learning Kanji, in my opinion, is about process. WaniKani method is probably

• Remember vocab well. Use a lot of vocab to reinforce Kanji. Learn vocab along the way.
  • Emphasize one reading first. Even if there are many On readings, WaniKani still emphasizes one first. Remember one well. Don’t try to overload the bag.
  • You have to eventually drill Kanji meaning too. RTK method isn’t wrong.
  • Sort Kanji by vocab complexity, resembles School Grade.
  • Sort Kanji by radicals/parts, but less so than vocab complexity itself. So 寺 is level 15, while 持 is level 9.
  • Use mnemonics. Wordplay works. Who say it doesn’t, and try to do everything by brute is a idiot.
  • Use SRS of very short duration: 4-hour, 8-hour interval; and very long duration: 4-month interval.

I wrote about how I learn Kanji outside WaniKani here Kanji-in-the-wild learning pattern (outside WaniKani).

You can get Kanji list, with emphasized reading here WaniKani / Kanji, or you can try the list in STAT site wkstats

Anki is apparently very buggy, although there are a lot of hidden customization, so it is very powerful. I halfheartedly recommend Anki. There is a tutorial, though. [Anki] Tutorials. Also, Anki+WaniKani 2.0.

If you are on Windows, you might try a possible better alternative – Houhou. Houhou 1.2 - Dictionary and SRS application for Windows

Anki deck of Core 10k vocab, breakdown by WaniKani kanji level – MEGA

3 Likes