So I’ve been around the Forums for about a year now, and fairly often people will mention something that I can only class as Wanikani lore/culture. So in assistance of the new users and just because it’s nice to have things collected together I was wondering if I could have assistance in collecting all the bits and pieces we know and putting it together.
I’ve put all i can think of off the top of my head here and have been adding and changing as I learn and remember more things. This post is now a Wiki! So please go to town and add as much information as you can, and expand on what is already there, about Wanikani, the Forums, Crabigatorism, etc. (I don’t even mind if you add a bio for each member of the POLLfam. Other people might tho )
This is our history for those after us, please make it as comprehensive as you can, and write yourself in the contributors. 頑張って!
- First of all, for all official purposes, THIS IS NOT A CULT. We may worship a Crabigator and religiously do our reviews and lessons but this is NOT A CULT.
- Faithful vassal of the Crabigator, Overmind, Survivor of Durtle Hell.
- Co-founder of Wanikani who knows where his towel’s at.
<-- These. Maybe @koichi or @koichi-descended knows more, they’ve spent the most time with them. Many of the more common types are found in the Durtledex (middle/bottom of this page )
The Durtledex occasionally updates the descriptions, (and provides (semi-cryptic) clues as to how to earn them. Sometimes.)
Found throughout Durtle Heaven,Durtle Hell, and the Wanikani Forums.
Are sometimes awarded as Titles for certain behaviour, usually different forms of durtling.
After being Caught Durtling yesterday, I looked into it and saw it was because of an extensive pun I made to greet someone on their introduction post. This made me think that Durtling is more closely related to the diversion from kanji study by doing other, unrelated things on the forums
So, are the durtles a direct personification of our procrastination, encompassing the different forms of distraction?
This led me to do some research, and what I found is truly remarkable and dates back to Ancient Times.
After scouring ancient writings, I finally found what could very well be the answer we’re all looking for, and it comes from hieroglyphics found at an ancient burial site in Japan (because that’s where hieroglyphics actually originated, cool right?)
(Hieroglyphics found at ancient burial site in Hieroglyphicstown, Japan, circa 42+ BCE)
I took the liberty to teach myself how to read hieroglyphics overnight and was able to translate this ancient text, I hope we find the answers we’ve been so desperately looking for:
- Durtle Uprising - The durtles only have one recorded uprising so far, on the 17th of February '18, began by @magiconic. Many Durtle Class gathered together chanting “Durtle Uprising” for just over a day, until they became slightly distracted, turnig their attentions elsewhere.
- Noone really knows where they came from - some say they are born from the charred remains of Wanikani turtle shells, some say studious turtles degenerate into durtles, some say that one can be reincarnated as a durtle.
Durtling (v.) Doing things you like and avoiding hard or boring things, eg. reviews. Something that durtles do. Very generic.
— Sometimes they also say durtle/durt whilst doing it, eg. ‘I’m going to durtle off and POLL now, durtle durtle’ (or ‘durt durt.’)
- Song of the Durtle
Every time you get an apprentice item right, a turtle egg is heated up somewhere. Heat up the egg 4 times, it hatches and becomes ‘guru-ed’ (as you call it).
Every time you get it wrong, the last two heatings are forgotten (as the eggs lose their heat, duh), unless you’ve never got it right before or just once or something, cuz unheated eggs can’t just cool down, you get me?
(Serious talk for a second here, intervals in apprentice go 4hours>8hours>24hours>2days for radicals, 4hours>8hours>24hours>3days for kanji and vocab)
Once these radical eggs (because they’re awesome, definitely nothing to do with kanji radicals) have hatched to turtles, these turtles can… get together, making a new egg, containing a surprise (Psst: It’s a kanji turtle made up of the genes of it’s radically cool parents). Same process for kanji eggs to unlock cute little vocab items.
Every now and then, the turtle population hits a surge (when 90% of kanji eggs have hatched), leading to a mass… 乱交. Many new eggs are created as a result, leading to eggs of all kinds being formed. And the cycle repeats.
Level 60 cake
- The fabled reward for reaching the last level of Wanikani.
- There is some debate as to whether it is real, but that’s up to each person to find out when they reach Level 60.
Some of these still are part of the Mnemonics, some were removed during the Legendary Content Update of December 2018.
- reading: せい
- “The Answer” you hoopy frood.
(Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy)
- Used to be far more common, you used to have 42+ reviews, 42+ lessons, etc.
POLL threads and POLLfam
- POLL threads are fast-moving threads where you can talk about anything to a really friendly group of people. An attempt at a quarantine zone for POLLs where likes flow freely and quickly and POLLs move at about the same rate.
- The title of the POLL threads are often parodies of other threads or anything else. It is changed regularly and the only rule is that it must include POLL somewhere.
- POLLfam (collective noun) used by regulars of the POLL threads to refer to each other as a group.
- POLLfam’s (and other’s_ Cherished Moments
- The Forums are also home to the Book Clubs, places for discussion about books of all levels.
- Link to the Master list of Book Clubs
Run by certain users, participants submit posts to whichever category is currently being run, and the post with the most likes wins. Rules vary from host to host. At the conclusion of the thread, the host either creates a new thread or passes the baton onto another user.
Current: The Gliawards
- Has reached level 60 and reset twice. Do not ask if Leebo has reset, there is only one way to get from level 60 to level 1.
- Leeboed (to be) v. to be beaten to be the first answer to a post by @Leebo .
- Made it to level 60 in a year + a few days
- authored the famous and much referred to My Journey of 368 days + The Ultimate Guide for WK
- The first queen of the Campfire category and the POLL threads. A truly inspirational figure in WaniKani Lore
- Cake lawyer to whom all Level 60 Cake (and other Cake) disputes should be arbitrated by
- Has been absent since autumn of 2019. We Miss MissMisc, 'nuff said plz come back
- Created the first-ever POLL thread by asking the timeless, unanswerable question of whether steak or bacon is better
- See also POLLfam
The Melon (MidoriNoSuika)
- The first and most notorious person to have managed to be banned from the forums for a thousand years (1000年 for those following along at home). Banned for violation of the guidelines (inappropriate posts), then editing posts to get around being temporarily silenced.
+ Other people who have earnt 1L: Sutho81 (being rude, ignorant and constantly getting flagged.), Midori_no_Sora (uncertain, but likely relating to incidents on Pseudo PMs thread and Discord)
You have been warned.
Follow the guidelines, be nice.
Self proclaimed Bots
- The last standing Robot in the forums. The only thing that They have studdied more then Japanese is humans.
- See also POLLfam
– Faithful Staff and Moderator, who Unfortunately is no longer with us.
– Renamed Discobot.
- Replacing the subject of someone’s sentence with “y-you”: Cats are cute. --> Y-you’re cute!
- Someone beats you to posting something. You got Leeboed.
- Not specific to Wanikani forums, but not absent either.
- To add a link which intentionally misdirects to a video of Rick Astley’s ‘Never gonna Give you up’.
- This song may also be replaced with another song eg. an Owl City song.
Animals are a huge part of the Forums, with many users being cats, dogs, etc. and just a large general appreciation for them.
- A huge part of the forums, cats are everywhere, just take a look around. Especially in the POLL thread, Cat appreciation thread, and more.
- If you identify as a cat in your avatar, you’re automatically a member of The Cat Club.
- Ping @Glias like a bot for cat images and gifs.
Cubes are an esoteric concept. @no_u gives “access” to the cubes to new members and people who ask for it. @no_u is also considered “customer support” for cubes. and questions should be directed to them.
- the official site for the Church of Crabigatorism
SCP-001 [KOUICHI’S PROPOSAL]
OBJECT CLASS: KETER
SPECIAL CONTAINMENT PROCEDURES: SCP-001 is to be confined to the website wanikani.com at all times. Interaction with SCP-001 is to be limited to purposes of sacrificing $300 USD to it, and learning the Jouyou Kanji of the Japanese language. The monetary sacrifice is occasionally softened to $200 USD during most of December, but this is the exception, not the rule.
- Ke knows when you are POLLing. Ke knows when you are durtling. Ke knows when you have not done your reviews and when you have. Ke will reward each according to their own durtles.
Ways of adressing/names
How to anger
- Not doing Reviews
- Asking about Sect Titles (bestowed by the will of the Crabigator and that’s all you need to know >->)
How to contact
- through Kis Crabby Suggestion box
Example quote based off CalmBit’s submission"]
- be sure to use correct pronouns when addressing the crabigator. (in general, replace the first sound of the common English masculine pronoun with /k/ - He - Ke, His - Kis, Thine - Kine (if you’re one of those).
- Ask from assistance from a Durtle priest if unsure of the content before using the suggestion box.
- Ke has also been known to summon new staff members via text as Ke is very tech savvy. (eg. JenK)
Life of a follower
Celebrated on the 25th of December, The holiest of Crabigatorist days. Also marks the beginning of the Season in which the annual ARG begins.
There are 9 levels to Durtle Hell, each lower than the other, and each requiring a password for entry. Only once you descend through all 9 levels are you permitted to enter Durtle Heaven.
- First discovered discovered during the Descent into Durtle Heaven event 2018-2019 (read a summary here)
- Thought to be a mistake answer for a riddle, but the representatives of the Crabigator deny this.
- Guide to Durtle Heaven
- Tickets may also be bought through confession (may or may not have other strings attached).
While not part of the texts central to Crabgatorism, many have been inspired by kis crabbyness. Inspired works can be found scattered around the forums, and include:
Thanks to the Contributors
If you’re in it and don’t want to be PLEASE let me know and mention me and I’ll remove you or you can do it.