So I’ve been around the Forums for about a year now, and fairly often people will mention something that I can only class as Wanikani lore/culture. So in assistance of the new users and just because it’s nice to have things collected together I was wondering if I could have assistance in collecting all the bits and pieces we know and putting it together.
I’ve put all i can think of off the top of my head here and have been adding and changing as I learn and remember more things. This post is now a Wiki so please go to town and add as much information as you can, and expand on what is already there, about Wanikani, the Forums, Crabigatorism, etc. (I don’t even mind if you add a bio for each member of the POLLfam. Other people might tho )
This is out history for those after us, please make it as comprehensive as you can, and write yourself in the contributors. 頑張って!
- First of all, for all official purposes, THIS IS NOT A CULT. We may worship a Crabigator and religiously do our reviews and lessons but this is NOT A CULT.
- Faithful vassal of the Crabigator, Overmind, Survivor of Durtle Hell.
- Co-founder of Wanikani who knows where his towel’s at.
- <-- These. Maybe @koichi or @koichi-descended knows more, they’ve spent the most time with them.
- Found throughout Durtle Heaven,Durtle Hell, and the Wanikani Forums.
- Are sometimes awarded as Titles for certain behaviour.
Durtling (v.) Doing things you like and avoiding hard or boring things, eg. reviews. Something that durtles do. Very generic.
— Sometimes they also say durtle durtle whilst doing it, eg. I’m going to durtle off and cook dinner now, durtle durtle.
Every time you get an apprentice item right, a turtle egg is heated up somewhere. Heat up the egg 4 times, it hatches and becomes ‘guru-ed’ (as you call it).
Every time you get it wrong, the last two heatings are forgotten (as the eggs lose their heat, duh), unless you’ve never got it right before or just once or something, cuz unheated eggs can’t just cool down, you get me?
(Serious talk for a second here, intervals in apprentice go 4hours>8hours>24hours>2days for radicals, 4hours>8hours>24hours>3days for kanji and vocab)
Once these radical eggs (because they’re awesome, definitely nothing to do with kanji radicals) have hatched to turtles, these turtles can… get together, making a new egg, containing a surprise (Psst: It’s a kanji turtle made up of the genes of it’s radically cool parents). Same process for kanji eggs to unlock cute little vocab items.
Every now and then, the turtle population hits a surge (when 90% of kanji eggs have hatched), leading to a mass… 乱交. Many new eggs are created as a result, leading to eggs of all kinds being formed. And the cycle repeats.
Level 60 cake
- The fabled reward for reaching the last level of Wanikani.
- There is some debate as to whether it is real, but that’s up to each person to find out when they reach Level 60.
Some of these still are part of the Mnemonics, some were removed during the Legendary Content Update of December 2018.
- reading: せい
- Everyone who knows a Hitchhiker’s Guide to the galaxy will understand this reference (If you don’t, read the books 10/10 recommend. If you don’t have time, it’s the answer to life, the universe, and everything.)
- Used to be far more common, you used to have 42+ reviews, 42+ lessons, etc.
POLL threads and POLLfam
- POLL threads are fast-moving threads where you can talk about anything to a really friendly group of people. An attempt at a quarantine zone for POLLs where likes flow freely and quickly and POLLs move at about the same rate.
- The title of the POLL threads are often parodies of other threads or anything else. It is changed regularly and the only rule is that it must include POLL somewhere.
- POLLfam (collective noun) used by regulars of the POLL threads to refer to each other as a group.
- The Forums are also home to the Book Clubs, places for discussion about books of all levels.
- Link to the Master list of Book Clubs
- Has reached level 60 and reset twice. Do not ask if Leebo has reset, there is only one way to get from level 60 to level 1.
- Leeboed (to be) v. to be beaten to be the first answer to a post by @Leebo .
- Made it to level 60 in a year + a few days
- authored the famous and much referred to My Journey of 368 days + The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Melon (MidoriNoSuika)
- The first and most notorious person to have managed to be banned from the forums for a thousand years (1000年 for those following along at home).
+ the only other person who has managed this is Sutho81
- MOST DEFINITELY to be confused with @Midori_no_Sora (see POLLfam)
Self proclaimed Bots
- The last standing Robot in the forums. The only thing that They have studdied more then Japanese is humans.
- See also POLLfam
– Faithful Staff and Moderator, who Unfortunately is no longer with us.
– Renamed Discobot.
- Replacing the subject of someone’s sentence with “y-you”: Cats are cute. --> Y-you’re cute!
- Someone beats you to posting something. You got Leeboed.
- Not specific to Wanikani forums, but not absent either.
- To add a link which intentionally misdirects to a video of Rick Astley’s ‘Never gonna Give you up’.
- This song may also be replaced with another song eg. an Owl City song.
Animals are a huge part of the Forums, with many users being cats, dogs, etc. and just a large general appreciation for them.
- A huge part of the forums, cats are everywhere, just take a look around. Especially in the POLL thread, Cat appreciation thread, and more.
- If you identify as a cat in your avatar, you’re automatically a member of The Cat Club.
- Ping @Glias like a bot for cat images and gifs.
Cubes are an esoteric concept. @no_u gives “access” to the cubes to new members and people who ask for it. @no_u is also considered “customer support” for cubes. and questions should be directed to them.
- the official site for the Church of Crabigatorism
SCP-001 [KOUICHI’S PROPOSAL]
OBJECT CLASS: KETER
SPECIAL CONTAINMENT PROCEDURES: SCP-001 is to be confined to the website wanikani.com at all times. Interaction with SCP-001 is to be limited to purposes of sacrificing $300 USD to it, and learning the Jouyou Kanji of the Japanese language. The monetary sacrifice is occasionally softened to $200 USD during most of December, but this is the exception, not the rule.
- Ke knows when you are POLLing. Ke knows when you are durtling. Ke knows when you have not done your reviews and when you have. Ke will reward each according to their own durtles.
Ways of adressing/names
How to anger
- Not doing Reviews
- Asking about Sect Titles (bestowed by the will of the Crabigator and that’s all you need to know >->)
Celebrated on the 25th of December, The holiest of Crabigatorist days. Also marks the beginning of the Season in which the annual ARG begins.
There are 9 levels to Durtle Hell, each lower than the other, and each requiring a password for entry. Only once you descend through all 9 levels are you permitted to enter Durtle Heaven.
- First discovered discovered during the Descent into Durtle Heaven event 2018-2019 (read a summary here)
- Thought to be a mistake answer for a riddle, but the representatives of the Crabigator deny this.
- Guide to Durtle Heaven
- Tickets may also be bought through confession (may or may not have other strings attached).
Thanks to the Contributors
If you’re in it and don’t want to be PLEASE let me know and mention me and I’ll remove you or you can do it.