What happened to Koichi?

I hope he is doing well?

Just noticed that prior to January 2018 there were a ton of great posts on Tofugu Instagram, every few days a post. Then, on January 11th it suddenly stopped with no more posts until now.

Same with japanese Culture Articles on the Website. Before 2018 there were great articles every few weeks. Then one Post in 2019 and one post in 2020.

Whats up?

40 Likes

He was abducted and held for ransom, but the rest do the Tofugu crew decided it was much quieter without him around, so they just ignored the ransom note. Nobody’s sure what happened after that. But, then again, nobody tried very hard to find out.

92 Likes

Don’t ask about Koichi if you know what’s good for you, punk.

68 Likes

I doubt it, but maybe we can summon him? @koichi…! Koooiichiii!!

24 Likes

The Crabigator :crabigator: has grown too powerful. I fear he has eaten our overlord, @koichi, or so the durtles say.

39 Likes

They keep him locked in a closet so that he can finish working on EtoEto, though occasionally he escapes and comes to post in the forums.

65 Likes

What’s EtoEto? (if you don’t mind me asking :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Tofugu’s multi-year work in progress textbook that we’re all weeping about while Koichi rubs his hands and laughs (www.etoeto.com)

27 Likes

https://etoeto.com/

9 Likes

Didn’t that spaceship from earlier this year take off with him? Were…were we supposed to go with him?

27 Likes

Sadly, I think he’s either hiding from us or is still stuck in durtle hell (or was it heaven? the descent was before my time). No crabsencion for anyone this year…

14 Likes

Thanks! That’s certainly something to look forward to…whenever it’s due. I guess, no hope in hearing from @koichi anytime soon (where ever you are 頑張って! 皆がここで待っている :blue_heart:).

3 Likes

Someone wrote last week (or so ? :thinking:) that they had chatted with Koichi via the new chat bubble thing on the desktop, so he’s around, just busy doing other stuff.

A short while later…

Here it is: New icon showing up in dashboard

7 Likes

Finally, the mystery of the message app has been revealed: it’s a Koichi-batphone! :phone:

ezgif-6-a1fe3aa5ec62

24 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

You should listen to the Tofugu podcast if you don’t have enough Kouichi in your life.

11 Likes

It is known.

5 Likes

When I arrived on Wanakini Koichi appeared in the mnemonics as an horrible person. Now I read nice things about him everywhere. What did happen?

Just read the mnemonic for 口: “Everyone agrees, (こういち)'s mouth is his best feature. You stare at it lovingly as he whispers sweet kanji readings to you.” I’m sure this is not the mnemonic I read over a year ago :thinking:

18 Likes

But seriously, what happened? Also the EtoEto thing. EtoEto Twitter stopped suddenly Dec '17. Koichi Twitter also. Also here he claims he always knows where his towels at (guess a Hitchhikers reference). In his Twitter he claims he dont know where it is.

I startet Wanikani in 2016 and everything was so alive. Then my reviews piled up (over 1000 lol) and I gave up. Now I’m trying it again but all channels feels so abandoned. Thats sad. Wanikani is by far the best way to learn kanji. I’m still so excited for EtoEto as I found no connection to gramatics until today. Hope its comming soon!

9 Likes

Even though I only joined WK last year, I spent a lot of time reading threads from a few years ago, and yeah, things seemed so much livelier then. Nowadays, even the poll thread can go nearly an entire day without any updates. I wonder what happened… :frowning:

7 Likes