We have lots of lovely new content to add to WaniKani over the next few months or so, starting Thursday, April 29. The plan is to add a small number of new members to the family each week, to keep things manageable for lessons and reviews. Depending on feedback, we might speed up the additions a little, or slow them down if it’s getting too much. Edit: We’ve had some feedback that the pace is a little fast, so we’re going to push the third batch by one week.
We’ll also be hiding some items as we go along, either because they’re really obscure, or because we have lots of other (more useful) words to practice a particular kanji reading. We’ll give plenty of notice before hiding anything.
As with all our previous content additions, there won’t be any site downtime, and you don’t need to do anything extra to get the new items. They will simply appear in your lessons if you are on the level of the item or above. Please note that these new additions won’t have audio right away, but we’re working on it. Edit: There should be audio for all new additions by the time the third batch is published on Thursday, May 20.
This is our tentative schedule for the additions over the next month. We’ll keep updating it as the new content is published!
The following vocabulary additions are to consolidate existing single-kanji vocabulary readings, and to help new users get the hang of the difference between kanji and vocabulary.
- Level 1: 力いっぱい （ちからいっぱい）- with all one’s strength
- Level 3: テーブルの上（てーぶるのうえ）- on the table
- Level 3: ベッドの下（べっどのした）- under the bed
- Level 3: 山びこ（やまびこ）- echo
- Level 4: 口にする（くちにする）- to mention
- Level 10: 山道（やまみち）- mountain road
These vocabulary additions are all part of transitivity pairs. We already teach the other half of the pair.
- Level 3: 外す（はずす）- to disconnect something
- Level 3: 広げる（ひろげる）- to spread something
- Level 8: 点く（つく）- to be lit
- Level 11: 転がす（ころがす）- to roll something
- Level 11: 欠く（かく）- to lack something
- Level 11: 進める（すすめる）- to advance something
- Level 12: 苦しめる（くるしめる）- to hurt
- Level 12: 終える（おえる）- to finish something
These vocabulary additions are also completing transitivity pairs.
- Level 13: 受かる（うかる）- to get accepted
- Level 14: 温まる（あたたまる）- to get warm
- Level 16: 帰す（かえす）- to send someone back
- Level 16: 治る（なおる）- to heal
- Level 19: 改める（あらためる）- to revise something
- Level 20: 加わる（くわわる）- to be added to
- Level 20: 産まれる（うまれる）- to be born
- Level 23: 収まる（おさまる）- to fit inside
These additions are also completing transitivity pairs.
- Level 27: 刺さる（ささる）- to be pierced
- Level 27: 従える（したがえる）- to preside over
- Level 29: 退ける（しりぞける）- to repel something
- Level 29: 痛める（いためる）- to injure something
- Level 30: 寄せる（よせる）- to move something up to
- Level 31: 延びる（のびる）- to be extended
- Level 32: 預かる（あずかる）- to look after
These are the final transitivity pair additions.
- Level 40: 薄まる（うすまる）- to be diluted
- Level 42: 揚がる（あがる）- to be fried up
- Level 43: 裂ける（さける）- to be split
- Level 48: 零れる（こぼれる）- to spill
- Level 49: 炊ける（たける）- to be cooked
- Level 49: 砕ける（くだける）- to be smashed
- Level 50: 煮える（にえる）- to be boiled
As always, we’d love to hear your feedback, either in the comments below or by email: email@example.com.