Old radical seemingly skipped until now?

Hi, I’m about 1/4th through level 46 when suddenly wanikani offered me this level 40 radical for wheat. Why did I not get this at level 40, and why am I missing the kanji you learn from it as well?

1 Like
6 Likes

Oh oops, I just thought those were vocabulary only.

2 Likes

Personally, I don’t understand why they introduced one new radical for one new kanji, when other people have suggested they combine several radicals to create a new one that would be more useful (see the thread Inconsistency in radical composition and using kanji as radicals for example, the combined radical would be 戠).

5 Likes

As the OP of that thread, I’ll actually say I don’t especially mind the “wheat” radical in this case, considering 麺 is a phonosemantic composition and 麦 has actual significance as the semantic component.

4 Likes

Maybe they’re planning on adding 麸 and 麹 someday?

That’s the entirety of kanji in Japanese that use the 麦 radical, though. And the first one’s an alternate form…

4 Likes

Maybe they’re planning to add a whole new level related to https://community.wanikani.com/t/ramenholics-anonymous/19903 ?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.