WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

I am not looking forward to the new (in)transitivity pairs, I always screw them up. Then again, maybe more exposure is what I need to build up the right brain pathways to deal with it.

Your first addition there - 力いっぱい is kind of throwing me off. I just learned 精一杯, I’m guessing the いっぱい bit is the exact same. Is that solely being added earlier to show off the difference between kanji and kana?

I’m sure once I learn the new vocab all will be fine. 頑張って!

2 Likes

This is fab, thank you @TofuguJenny <3

7 Likes

Oh my lord so much good stuff!
(Was so close to burning everything though (as in less than half a year))

@wanimekani thank Jenny

19 Likes

Thanks for the update! Having those extra transitive/intransitive pairs will be really helpful going forward.

3 Likes

Looking forward to the new items, for many of them I wasn’t aware that they’re part of a pair, great addition!

3 Likes

Cries in all burned…

52 Likes

cc @Naphthalene

4 Likes

If you do everything perfectly, and start at midnight of May 27th, you’ll be back to all burned on November 17th, 6am
4182 hours

12 Likes

believe in you

13 Likes

Twas I! I’m afraid it’s burned and thus I will forever believe 絞 is tangle. What can you do.

6 Likes

What fun is a life with noting to do?

I think it’s time to reset and do it all again, just FASTER!

8 Likes

I just learned 精一杯, I’m guessing the いっぱい bit is the exact same. Is that solely being added earlier to show off the difference between kanji and kana?

Well spotted, yes 一杯 and いっぱい are one and the same! In more common or casual words, 一杯 is usually written in kana, and in more formal words it tends to be written in kanji.

But the main reason we’re adding this item is to practice the reading of the single-kanji vocabulary 力 :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thanks @TofuguJenny and the WK team for the new content :slight_smile:

3 Likes

whoo! new words! :smiley:

poor people who thought they’d done all their lessons though…

thanks Jenny and the team ^^

5 Likes

I just want to also add my voice to those asking to be able to keep items people have already unlocked. (The new words do look very useful though.)

Is it possible to post a list of the items being removed alongside the list of items being added?

For offering an option for existing users, what about adding a setting that still allows hidden items to be shown? Or as another approach, instead of hiding the items, remove them from their current levels and add them all to a nonexistent or dummy level greater than level 60 (and add small bit of code to prevent advancing to that level and prevent displaying that level in the ui). Assuming that people can continue to review items they have already unlocked even if the item is moved to a level they haven’t gotten to yet, this would allow people to continue to review items they have already unlocked.

Have you already ruled out doing either of those?

9 Likes

For the order you introduce transitive/intransitive verbs, wouldn’t it make things easier to remember to always introduce the easier to remember verb in the pair first?

My main argument is that it is usually much easier to correctly answer a verb review if you can also remember the other verb in the pair while you are doing the review. This is because often, at least one verb in the pair follows a simple rule like ending in -aru and then you can figure out the harder one by process of elimination. However, as the below examples illustrate, it seems less likely we’ll be able to do this kind of reasoning if you put the harder verb first.

Example:

広がる then 広げる (seems more effective to me):

Initial reviews for 広がる are still easy because it ends in -aru. Reviews for 広げる will be easy too since we will have already learned 広がる and can figure out 広げる by process of elimination.

広げる then 広がる (what you are planning to do):

Initial reviews for 広がる are easy because it ends in -aru. However, initial reviews for 広げる will be hard because you will not yet have learned 広がる.

Edit: Of course, ultimately, you want to everything without needing to do process of elimination. But just as with using a mnemonic, one will eventually begin to remember the answer directly without needing extra help as one does more and more reviews of the item.

4 Likes

Oh…
I think it’s a trick to not have to add the party hat to the image replacing the preview chart.

5 Likes

I personally wouldn’t mind the items being introduced at a faster pace (36 items is what I would normally lesson in 2 days, not 5 weeks). I do understand that flooding people with new lessons can be discouraging for them, but I think that any item over level 25 affects a smaller part of your userbase and that you can probably dump those all in one go. In this case it would combine week 4 and 5.
(Or you could combine introductions of lower level and higher level items because the higher level items affect fewer users anyway).

On that note, let me state that I love that you’re adding more vocab and how considerate I think it is to create such a phased planning. Well done!

3 Likes

Ooh the first new items added after I’ve hit level 60. This is a great list, I see so many of these all the time. Thanks for the updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Quick question. How does this work if you are already past the level of the item being added? Do I have to do Wanikani again after level sixty to get these? Haha