Tobira study group

I’m interested in this too, so I’ll be looking to buy the Tobira book as well. It was the next book I was supposed to use if I had the ability to study another year at my Japanese language school. I’m interested in this too, so I’ll be looking to buy the Tobira book as well. It was the next book I was supposed to use if I had the ability to study another year when I was studying abroad 10 years ago.

Also, I generally stream my studying to keep me motivated at night, so it’s as good of an excuse as any to do a bit more intensive stuff. Though I do remember my 先輩 mentioning that this book was “suffering.” Right in-line with the Wani Kani level nomenclature.

3 Likes

Thak you NicoleRauch 先輩 and RachelG!

I think it might be a bit “suffering” in the beginning if one used textbooks in English for basic Japanese. Having everything in Japanese looks a bit intimidating. I always felt so “safe” and “secure” with Genki but excited to take the plunge!

1 Like

To be fair, I think they also did it in one semester. Brutal pace. Can’t recall though. Group study is far better than self-study with such a tome, so I am looking forward to the plunge.

Hey! I just got a used copy of Tobira in the mail today and coincidentally saw this thread. I was assuming I might not be ready for it yet but thumbing through the first chapter I think I can keep up at least for a while so I’ll join in. Thanks for setting this up!

4 Likes

Hey! I’m interested in doing group study.

I recently got the textbook and I’m new to using wanikani. I’m unsure how this works but do we just communicate on this thread? Or is there a better way for us to study together?

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome to both WaniKani and the 2021 Tobira study group!

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 11.55.34 AM

We’ll be using this thread as a home thread and the chapter-specific threads that were created for the 2020 Tobira study group as we progress. That way, all the info stays in one place and we build upon what’s already been done. So if you have any questions, want to share your progress, or want to discuss the material in any way - all that will be done through the forum threads.

On that note, is everyone excited to get started tomorrow?? がんばりましょう〜

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 12.10.52 PM
(idk how to insert gifs so you’ll have to put up with screenshots of them instead)

4 Likes

Copying and pasting generally works, I think. You’ll usually end up pasting a link to the file, which should get the GIF playing. Your other option is to download the GIF and then re-upload it.

1 Like

Thank you! Unfortunately, I found this one on whatsapp, but next time I’ll try to find them on the web and copy+paste into my post :blush:

1 Like

If your phone supports saving GIFs, you might be able to chuck it into your main album/camera roll and then upload it using the little photo icon on mobile. But yeah, it’s easier to do with web images. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fortunately my books are coming tomorrow (4/26 JST). Unfortunately, I probably won’t be home to get them so I’ll reschedule delivery for the following day. Sometimes I wish they’d leave boxes at the door in Japan, but then again I am glad they don’t.

3 Likes

So basically we have two weeks to go through a chapter? Do we just work at our own pace chatting about our progress and any questions, or is there more structure?

I’m worried I’ll get bored and quit (because textbooks aren’t that interesting) so I’m hoping for lots of group spirit and interaction! Otherwise in like four weeks I’ll be like… oh yeah, that group thing!

Anyone up for some friendly competition? Not sure what, just throwing out a friendly challenge. Hmm… there aren’t any quizzes unfortunately or I’d suggest posting results for fun.

3 Likes

The 2020 study group would work through the the main textbook the first week then the accompanying workbook the second week, so that’s an option. However, not everyone will be using the workbook and some might prefer to do the workbook exercises alongside the main textbook. And since everyone has their own preferred study methods, and taking into account everyone’s daily schedule will vary + the time they can dedicate to studying, I think less structure would be more accommodating.

That all being said, I’m an interactive learner myself and am up for some friendly competition that’ll boost productivity. Perhaps we can share study logs/daily progress as a means to push one another to plow through the work each day? Or make and share our own vocab quizzes (on Quizlet for instance) and then compare scores?

Some book clubs have Discord servers for reading practice. I don’t know if anyone wants to do that (and I guess not everyone will be comfortable doing so). Anyway, I hope this goes well for everyone concerned. I’ll probably drop by from time to time, and I’ll most likely get a notification if anything comes up in the old Tobira threads, so I guess I’ll be around for answering questions or a quick chat about the textbook. I’m at chapter 13, and that’s where I stopped some time last year because of boredom and a lack of time. (I felt I learnt faster through anime with a dictionary and the internet, at least in terms of grammar, and the technical vocabulary in Tobira wasn’t very useful for the sorts of shows I was watching and the things I was reading since it’s quite culture-focused, and such words rarely come up in the bits of current affairs and the many articles on language that I read. The general vocabulary like verbs, keigo and informal constructions is helpful though.) I think getting some discussion going will be motivating for everyone though, and it’s always more fun when you can talk about what you’ve learnt!

2 Likes

I edited the first post in the thread and put in the new schedule with the links to the old threads. I’m really excited to go through the book again! Right now I’m on chapter 8 with my iTalki toutor. I think I’ll focus on the workbook this time around, but I’ll also study the main book of course. Looking forward to starting again with you tomorrow!

5 Likes

Yesssss, it has started right? I’ll try to be one chapter ahead every week since I’m on ch.2 forgot about the workbook tho nevermind.

2 Likes

Yeah, something like that.

I have done chapters 1 and 2 before quite some time ago though, and dabbled around in 3. However, I’ve forgot most of it as I lost interest. But I’m not starting from zero in the early chapters, which might be unfair.

2 Likes

I plant to following the chapter in sequential order: 1) text; 2) dialogue; 3) grammar notes; 4) grammar side-textbook exercises. My first impressions:

1. Sometimes example sentences in the grammar notes sometimes are cut short so you need to go back to get the context (if you don’t remember) to fully understand the grammar point (for example, grammar point 3, ように, and sentence starting with 白鷺).

2. The video materials are very useful. Being able to see the shape of 姫路城のお城 helps a lot but I don’t remember them showing a 白鷺 so I’m posting a picture here. There is a worksheet we can use after seeing the video.

@Marifly Thanks for the edits! ごめん、I intended to do it this past Friday but wife was temporarily out of commission due to second COVID vaccine shot so I was taking care of my son.

2 Likes

Hello!! If you will have me, I’ll also join! I have already completed chapter 1, only some grammar exercises left and will wait for everyone to begin chapter 2 :innocent: as I prepare for it

6 Likes

Welcome! The more the merrier!