Tobira study group

Also, may I ask, but how do you usually go about this group study? :astonished:

I just work on stuff from chapter 1 now and chapter 2 when we get to chapter 2! Read the text, do the exercises, work on the kanji, translate the texts, write example sentences for each grammar point, study the grammar points, there’s so much you can do with what’s covered in each chapter!

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer! It sounds like each individual can adjust it to their own way, I like that. I usually check the vocabulary first and grammar points as I read the text, and then overview and work with exercises and kanji book in conjuction! The premade Anki decks from the Tobira website are super neat as well, I would definitely recommend :innocent: Tobira is such a great book, isn’t it?
When I have some free time, I will try to read through this thread too, I’m assuming there’s a lot of info from the first round of this study group! :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

Chapter 2 today! Are you ready?

I plan to read the text and do some of the exercises from the grammar book.

1 Like

I went through and bumped all the threads so they don’t close before we get to them in the 2021 study group.

4 Likes

Literally every thread I look at is some variant of Tobira study group! :eyes:

1 Like

Wow - this is such perfect timing for me!

I’m thinking of getting back into studying Japanese after a loooong hiatus so just nuked my Wanikani account back down to 1. When I was studying before though, Tobira was what I used and I think it’s far and away the best textbook I’ve ever come across.

Definitely interested in joining the study group - chapter 2 starting from today, right? Looking forward to it!

6 Likes

Welcome back to the community! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Welcome back! Chapter 2 starts today, that’s right.

2 Likes

I would like to join in. I bought Tobira a year ago and couldn’t keep up because i couldn’t practice it much with others. How do i start or what should i do in order to start keeping with you guys?

3 Likes

Aww welcome back and a big applause to you for deciding to get back into studying. I have been in your shoes, and I know it takes quite some willpower to make up your mind and plunge back into it! Let’s enjoy the ride together! :grin:

1 Like

We finish chapter 1 and today we are starting 2. I think you can start with chapter 2 since the content is not so interdependent and you can look at the past posts regarding chapter 1. Also, feel free to post any questions regarding chapter 1. At the top of this thread, you can see the chapters’ respective threads.

1 Like

Great! Now I can run through my unread list and see which ones I haven’t followed yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

okay, so as @sergiop encouraged me to do, here is a poll for which messaging app you would prefer to use in order to share our recordings of reading the text aloud :

• Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Facebook Messenger
  • LINE

0 voters

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to recommend it!

Personally, I know Rakuten Viber also allows for voice message recordings. But amongst all those, I believe LINE and Telegram are more fit for housekeeping and ones that flow smoothly (I don’t remember how Whatsapp is at all though). The interface in all of those apps is similar, and easy to navigate and get used to.

Lastly, please don’t hesitate to participate. I know that at first it might sound quite overwhelming for some people to share a recording of themselves speaking/reading in a foreign language, but you can consider it as one of those experiences that will have you going out of your comfort zone and eventually improving your overall skills! :sparkles::muscle::grin:

2 Likes

Did anyone bother reading the forward of the textbook? I found an interesting bit of the book being developed with the help of the University of Michigan. I studied at the Japanese Center for Michigan Universities 10 years ago and they were using Tobira there. It makes me wonder if the students there before me were part of the practical development of the textbook.

As for my usual plug for Studying Abroad: If you or someone you know is in college and wants to study abroad in Japan (maybe after more vaccines have been distributed here) I’d recommend seeing if the university has scholarships and other finicial aid programs that can help you get there. I was able to studying in Japan while going to Texas Tech University using Texas specific finaicial aid (The now-defunct Texas Tomorrow Fund) for a Michigan State University program because of the International Cultural Center’s relationship with MSU. I’ll link the school I went to below.

https://www.jcmu.net/home-en/

4 Likes

Hi everyone! Sorry for going mia for a few days, I have semester finals already. I wanted to go ahead and close the poll, but I see it’s 50-50 now… as soon as there’s another vote, I shall close it and we can make a group? We can that way share recording for chapter 2 before it ends if you want.

Also, I’m falling a bit behind with this chapter, because of exams :cry:

2 Likes

Same here! I got B+ in JAPN 204, so glad that the semester is over!

3 Likes

That’s amazing, congrats!!! aaah, having Japanese as a uni class must be fun :slight_smile:
I still have one more paper for beginning of June, but most are over for me as well!

By the way, i see we all decided on Whatsapp for the group chat. I just went a checked it out, but it won’t allow me to make a group chat unless I select someone whose contact is already on my contacts list… does anyone else know a way around this or wants to try it? I don’t mind sharing my number, but I’d rather do it privately tbh.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m really not familiar with Whatsapp. I only have because my family in Brazil uses it (I’m leaving in the US). Also Community > Japanese Language results can appear ion search results outside WK right?

My email address is fairly anonymous.

If you send me your numbers then I can try to set up a group.

2 Likes