Tobira study group

Would any of you be interested in a study group for Tobira? Working through one chapter per two weeks together?

The first study group got through Tobira in 2020, and I’m so glad that a new group wants go go through Tobira again now in 2021! Here are the new dates for the 2021 study group. The links lead to the old threads so we can build on everything that was set up last year.

Chapter 1: April 26 to May 9 - chapter 1 thread here
Chapter 2: May 10 to May 23 - chapter 2 thread here
Chapter 3: May 24 to June 6 - chapter 3 thread here
Chapter 4: June 7 to June 20 - chapter 4 thread here
Chapter 5: June 21 to July 4 - chapter 5 thread here

BREAK AND CATCH UP: July 5 to July 18

Chapter 6: July 19 to August 1 - chapter 6 thread here
Chapter 7: August 2 to August 15 - chapter 7 thread here
Chapter 8: August 16 to August 29 - chapter 8 thread here
Chapter 9: August 30 to September 12 - chapter 9 thread here
Chapter 10: September 13 to September 26 - chapter 10 thread here

BREAK AND CATCH UP: September 27 to October 10

Chapter 11: October 11 to October 24 - chapter 11 thread here
Chapter 12: October 25 to November 7 - chapter 12 thread here
Chapter 13: November 8 to November 21 - chapter 13 thread here
Chapter 14: November 22 to December 5 - chapter 14 thread here
Chapter 15: December 6 to December 19 - chapter 15 thread here

A couple of useful links:
Tobira web, where you can find extra exercises and audio materials for the book:

Link to the main textbook on Amazon:

28 Likes

Yes I am! I’ve only just started the first chapter though, so I don’t know yet if I could do a chapter every week though – I was planning to aim for one chapter every 2 weeks.

EDIT: I wonder if @AuraGuio or @kmurgs might be interested too? (They have Tobira too :blush:)

3 Likes

I definitely am, but I’m currently not in possession of my textbook :frowning: I’ll keep an eye on you guys and see if I can catch up whenever I am reunited with my stuff!

3 Likes

One chapter every two weeks is fine with me!

1 Like

:raising_hand_woman:

By the way, is this about the “regular” Tobira or the grammar exercise book? I’ll gladly join whichever.

If its about the regular Tobira, I’ve finished the book (just reading the articles, 1 chapter a day so I did not actually answered any exercise because it’s just self study :sweat_smile:) but I still have many questions so I want to join!

1 Like

Yes I would love to. I just started Tobira. So this is good timing. I would prefer a chapter a week but breaking it down to a chapter every two weeks is fine too.

1 Like

I think I’ll work on the “regular” book for week 1 and grammar and kanji for week 2 if we do one chapter per 2 weeks.

1 Like

I edited the first post in this thread to put in a tentative schedule for the first 5 chapters. Let’s see how it works out!

We’ll start next Monday, April 20, and work on the first chapter for 2 weeks. If you want to work on the main book for 2 weeks, that’s fine. If you want to work on the main book for the first week and the grammar and/or kanji book for the second week that’s also fine.

2 Likes

I’d also be totally fine following behind at my chapter-every-fortnight pace if more people prefer the new-chapter-every-week pace! Maybe any questions I’d have would already be answered :blush:

1 Like

Sounds like a poll is in order!

Do you want to spend one week or two weeks on each chapter? I’ll let the poll run until Saturday, and then we can find out what the schedule looks like on Sunday, before we start on Monday April 20.

• One week per chapter
  • Two weeks per chapter

0 voters

I also just started with chapter 1 a week ago! I was planing to take it slower even than 2 weeks per chapter because I prefer to read/listen to other stuff, but if there will be a study group I will do my best to stick with you guys :grin:

1 Like

I’m in! I’m on chapter 2 but the scheduling for this fits me perfectly and I have been having a lot of trouble jumping back into grammar lately :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I want to join! (Thanks for remember me @skymaiden :grin: ).

I like the idea of work on the main book during the first week and grammar/kanji book during the second week but maybe some people don’t have the grammar/kanji book :disappointed_relieved:

Anyway I’m fine with whatever people decide

3 Likes

At the risk of asking a dumb question, which specific Tobira book will everyone be starting with? I’ve seen a few Tobira books so don’t want to buy the wrong one by mistake.

I think it might be a good idea to put links to the relevant links in the first post?

2 Likes

There is one main textbook, which is all you really need.

In addition to the main textbook, there are 3 more books. One for grammar, one for kanji and a teacher’s guide. The grammar book contains exercises for grammar. All the explainations are in the main textbook so you only need it if you want to do extra exercises. The kanji book if good if you want to work on kanji and the teacher’s guide contains scripts and answers to the questions in the main textbook. You don’t really need this. Does that help?

2 Likes

I think I prefer this too. For those who don’t have the kanji and grammar books there are also exercises on the Tobira web site.

1 Like

The Tobira study group sounds great. i have the book already and think one chapter every two weeks is perfect.

When life gets in the way, the two week option leaves a bit of extra space.

2 Likes

I’ll join as well. It’s always more fun and helpful to study with others.

2 Likes

I would also be interested to join, but I don’t know how study group works on Wanikani ? :c

2 Likes

I’m studying this book in my Third Year Japanese Uni class! Feel free to message me with any questions from chapters 1-4!

3 Likes