Tobira study group - chapter 5

This is the thread for chapter 5 of Tobira. Our home thread for this study group is here .

As usual we’ll spend 2 weeks going through chapter 5.

Here is the link to the Tobira web site where you can find recordings of the main text and dialogues in each chapter plus kanji and grammar resources.

Who will study chapter 5 of Tobira the next 2 weeks?

• I will study chapter 5 now
  • I will study chapter 5 later

0 voters

My favourite subject - food! :grin: I’m looking forward to reading the manga part! :ramen: :rice_cracker: :rice_ball:

2 Likes

Just finished the pre-reading and reading too! :ramen:
Tomorrow or the next day I’ll take a look at the language note and マンガ :grin:

Something I’m really enjoying with this book is that I can read most of the words without difficulty, and understand most of the sentences with a bit of effort :sweat_smile: Like a graded reader that teaches me about Japan!

2 Likes

I just read the manga today. It was very interesting about the history - it’s my favourite part of this chapter so far! :grin: :ramen:

3 Likes

A shorter text and a manga was a nice change for sure, and also learning about food… It was quite interesting learning about the history of the actual, original Cup Noodles which you can find in stores where I live as well :smile:

4 Likes

e14fa824-994d-4364-b954-87d3a620bcc7_text_hi

1 Like

Yes, the thread is a little quiet. I think many are behind, including me!

Do you use Tobira? Do you work on chapter 5 now?

1 Like

Yeah the number of people dropped off sharply after the first chapter – no idea why, but we have a break coming up soon so maybe people will get back on board! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope so! I’m still here at least, and I’m glad you’re still here too!

2 Likes

I fell behind because I got too occupied writing a bunch of notes, even though I already know all the grammar points in the book. :sweat_smile:
I’m probably just going to skip the note-taking so I can catch back up!

3 Likes

I’ve finished this chapter but I’m trying to catch up on all the grammar points. Hopefully I’ll catch up after the break. :grin:
@TrinityBringer I envy your great grammar master skills. :smile:

2 Likes

I have only BunPro to thank for that! :laughing:

3 Likes

I’ve been keeping up but chapter 5 didn’t leave me with any questions so, no posts. :slight_smile:

Probably similar to TrinityBringer, I’ve already learned all but 3-5 of the grammar points from each chapter from BunPro, so that’s been a help.

4 Likes

I think the thread is quiet because I’m around - I have that effect on people. :joy:

3 Likes

Noo, don’t say that! I know you’re joking, but still!
It’s just quite 'round here because I haven’t started the party yet. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

With this chapter on food - bring it on! :smiley: :partying_face:

3 Likes

The grammar isn’t too bad, but there is so much vocab in this chapter, and in Tobira in general! I do find all of it in the vocab lists in the book and/or on jisho.org, but having to look up that much all the time reminds me of how bad my vocab is…

I found a spreadsheet somewhere in the forums that shows how the Tobira kanji correspond with the kanji taught on WK. (edit: it’s the one referenced here) Now that I’m on level 12, I know about 25% of the kanji used in Tobira. When I reach level 26, I will know 75% of the kanji in Tobira, and when I reach level 52 I will know all the kanji in Tobira. I have a long way to go!

How do you study the vocab from Tobira? I use the publisher’s Anki decks and filter them so that I only get the vocab that belongs to the kanji that I already know from WK. As I progress in WK I will keep adding more words. I don’t want to study vocab that uses kanji that I haven’t learned yet.

4 Likes

I haven’t been pre-studying Tobira vocab (even though I probably should), but have been using a 2k/6k deck since early this year (currently about half way). I have my deck set up so that the front shows the word in kanji, plays audio, and shows a context sentence – and the back also shows the definitions and the sentence translation.
The audio on the front lets me not worry about not knowing how to read the kanji yet (and when it comes up in WK I already know it).
I added the sentence on the front after finishing the first 2000 words, because some of the same words came back with new additional meanings – so I need context to give the right answer!

That combined with my current WK level makes reading the texts relatively comfortable for me so far – especially compared to some native materials :sweat_smile: But I do still look up words sometimes, and long sentences still trip me up so I usually need to read those a few times to make sure I’ve understood properly!

Bunpro shows me I’ve already studied many of the Tobira grammar points from about the first 7 chapters and some after that, but I’m generally bad at grammar so am using this book to go through all the points in a chapter anyway!

Quite enjoying this textbook, even though I have to be honest with myself and stop pretending I want to do the exercises (I don’t) :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I… haven’t been studying vocab from Tobira. :sweat_smile:

But most of the bolded vocab is already familiar from WK.

3 Likes

I just go over the vocabulary list but I know quite a lot of the words already - and same here with WK vocab.

@skymaiden Same here with the exercises! I feel less bad about it knowing I’m not the only one! :grin:

1 Like