🐶 わんわん探偵団・おかわり 🕵 Doggy Detectives 2!

If you’d like to try reading an easy book in Japanese and you like doggos or mysteries, you’re in the right place! This is the second Doggy Detectives book, but each one stands entirely on its own (a bit like reading a Sherlock Holmes or Miss Marple book), so you can jump right in with this one :dog:

Doggy Detectives 2

わんにゃん探偵団 Book Club

For an idea of the difficulty, go to the BookWalker listing and click on the image for a preview. We’ll be putting together a vocabulary list as we go and answering each other’s questions though, and we’ll start out reading at a pace of just one page a day.

Schedule & Discussion Thread Links

We will take a one-week break between each of the three stories in the book.

Week         Start Date     Chapter                   Page Numbers    Page Count
Week 1 January 11th Story 1 - Case 6 - 14 7
Week 2 January 18th Story 1 - Case 17 - 24 7
Week 3 January 25th Story 1 - Case 25 - 32 8
Week 4 February 1st Story 1 - Solution 34 - 41 7
Week 5 February 8th Story 1 - Solution 42 - 51 8
- Februay 15th BREAK! :dog2: - -
Week 6 February 22nd Story 2 - Case 54 - 61 7
Week 7 March 1st Story 2 - Case 62 - 68 7
Week 8 March 8th Story 2 - Case 69 - 76 7
Week 9 March 15th Story 2 - Solution 78 - 85 6
- March 22nd BREAK! :dog2: - -
Week 10 March 29h Story 3 - Case 88 - 97 9
Week 11 April 5th Story 3 - Case 99 - 108 9
Week 12 April 12th Story 3 - Case 109 - 118 10
Week 13 April 19th Story 3 - Solution 120 - 130 9
Week 14 April 26th Story 3 - Solution 131 - 141 9

Vocabulary Sheet

Book Club Members

• I want to take part in this club
  • I just like clicking things

0 voters

Buying the Book

Physical | CDJapan | Amazon JP
eBook | BookWalker | Kobo | Kindle

9 Likes

Yay! Looking forward to starting this in January!

3 Likes

Hmm currently ¥1100 on BookWalker. Hopefully they’ll have a January sale.

1 Like

Yeah, they’re always pretty pricey, these ones :grimacing: (because they’re so nice, haha!)

1 Like

It’s a good time to buy on BookWalker. There is a campaign on to celebrate their 10th anniversary and you will get 450 coins back on buying the book. That is essentially 450 yen to spend on a future purchase.

Plus if you are buying outside Japan you shouldn’t pay tax so the cost is 1000 yen. If you consider the 450 coins back as a discount then it’s effectively only costs 550 yen to buy it right now.

5 Likes

Pages do not seem to have that much text, so it should be doable together with WK reviews.
Excited to try this one!

4 Likes

Great to have you with us! :blush:

1 Like

This looks like a lot of fun! Looking forward to joining along :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

stupid question here but how do I buy from bookwalker if I can’t read the site? I’d really prefer the ebook. Mostly because Idk if I’d get it in time if I ordered from cdjapan

1 Like

Welcome! You should be able to get to the book’s listing easily enough, just click on the link in the opening post. Click on the green button with the shopping trolley picture to put it in your shopping cart (カート).

If you then go to your cart you can then click on the globe icon to change language to English for going through the purchase.

3 Likes

Thank you! Also beginner question - is the ebook a pdf or what app do I need to view it?

Edit: Found bookwalker app on the ios App store - will that pick up that I have a Japanese store purchase? or am I limited to the browser?

2 Likes

It’s not a pdf, you have to read it through a specific bookwalker app, or on a web browser. This book has a lot of pictures in it, so the Book Walker version is basically a picture of the original pages, with the original layout intact. You can’t select the text, but I prefer it this way. It’s particularly useful in a book club as you can still see the original page numbering when discussing the book with others.

Yes it will pick up your Japanese purchases and allow you to download and read them on the app.

If you want to have a play before shelling out some money, you can purchase one of the free books - 無料マンガの試し読みならBOOK☆WALKER

3 Likes

Thanks so much! Sorry for my basic questions, this is major uncharted territory! I’d get the physical book but like I said I don’t think it’ll come in time (CDJapan says it ships in 1-2 weeks and then it has to make it to the US) so I think it’ll be the ebook for me!
Thanks for the free book link too, that was really helpful!

3 Likes

I’m sure there are other people in the same boat who will be helped by your questions, and even if not we want to help anybody who wants to join in!

Thanks @Micki for all your guidance :blush:

3 Likes

10 days to go - I’m getting excited :dog: :mag_right: :smiley:

4 Likes

Hey! When did you reach 60? Congratulations :birthday::cake::confetti_ball:

1 Like

Thank you! Christmas Eve :blush:

1 Like

Just bought the book from bookwalker. I have read cat #1 and dog #1. Looking forward to Dog #2

5 Likes

This is my first book and book club! I’ve bought the ebook from Bookwalker. Looking forward to reading along with everyone! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Looking forward to reading with you both, himmelz and e_w0205 - 8 days to go!

2 Likes