Struggle with 人類 vs 人種

Hi all ^^

I have so much trouble with memorizing the meanings of these two words. Do you have any advice? How did you manage to differentiate them?

3 Likes

I feel you lol… I remember 種 as also being used for dog breeds, so it makes sense that it’s for human races as well. I don’t know how helpful that would be for you though.

2 Likes

I remember 人類 because of the anime (and light novel series) 人類が衰退しました (translated as “Humanity has Declined”)

3 Likes

I came up with my own mnemonics: しゅ is Michael Schumacher, F1 race car driver, so 人種(じんしゅ) is race

9 Likes

Hm, it sounds good if you know that the word is used for dog breeds too. And I didn’t :slightly_frowning_face:

Hmm, maybe I should watch it :smiley:

I ended up hearing 人種 used several times in context in one of those street interview videos on youtube. So I was able to remember after that.

1 Like

Oh, creative one :smiley: I think that will work for me

1 Like

I see… So, in general, it might be helpful to search for connections outside of WaniKani

3 Likes

The more exposure to Japanese, the easier it is to relate new material to previously-learned material, so yes, as long as you are studying grammar alongside WK, joining a book club can make a world of difference. :grinning:

5 Likes

I’m just finishing Genki I and was planning to join a book club after Genki II. I don’t know if it makes sense to start reading earlier. Definitely, I regret I don’t have exposure to real-life Japanese yet :smiley:

2 Likes

It does make sense to join the Absolute Beginner Book Club now - it will reinforce what you learned in Genki I and complement your Genki II studies as you work through both the text and the book club book at the same time.

I speak from experience. It wasn’t until my third attempt at joining a book club that I was comfortable, by which point I was about where you are now. Everyone is very helpful with great questions and answers, a vocab list, so you’re definitely not going it alone.

You can check out the ABBC here and see the links to current and previous book groups. Hope to bump into you in one of the threads in the near future (I’ll be joining the わんわん探偵団(たんていだん) book 2 thread in January).

2 Likes

As @darkness_rising mentioned, 種 is used for races within a species, and 類 is used for species within an animal group, like 鳥類 is species of birds. There is only one spevies of human alive today, so 人類 refers to humankind in general.

4 Likes

I remember 人類 as mankind because humanity ruins everything. Bleak but effective :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

わたしは人類

3 Likes

Also, don’t sweat it too much. Presumably you are going to be using your Japanese for something eventually, and then you’ll be seeing things in context all the time.

And if you don’t end up seeing a particular word in context a lot, well, then maybe it wasn’t all that useful to you anyway :slight_smile:

For me, I’ve apparently got enough exposure that when I try to think “humanity” or “mankind” in Japanese, 人類 is what pops up, so I’d probably pass the WK quiz just by a process of elimination, even though I don’t think I’ve come across 人種 that much :slight_smile:

EDIT: also, when learning I think just having a ballpark definition of a word is often enough to let you understand the gist of what you’re hearing/reading. The nuances will typically come from exposure rather than explanations and translations.

4 Likes

What about your previous attempts? :smiley:

I’ll give the ABBC a try and see how things will go. Although, it seems like it’s within my reach. Thank you for your suggestion. Otherwise, I’d wait with picking up a book much longer. Also, it’ll ease my anxiety, as I’m afraid of forgetting the things I learnt from WK :sweat_smile:

わんわん探偵団たんていだん looks fun.

2 Likes

Haha, I like it :laughing:

1 Like

During my first steps, I was a bit irritated I don’t understand the meaning too well. Now, I don’t put too much stress on that. To the point, I rarely read example sentences during lessons. So, I’m happy that you say it’s fine to just have a general overview of what a word is.

But in this case, I just couldn’t make it stick to my head which word is which :sweat_smile: That’s why I was talking about searching outside of WK.

2 Likes

My God, this is hilariously awesome. I get the reading right, but the meaning… I always type mankind or something.

1 Like