Teasing Master Takagi-san 😝 ・ Volume 1

I’m new to the Wani Kani community, I got to lv3 on a different account but had to make a new one. Anyways, I’ve been following lingodeer and Genki and I have decided to buy this book and start working alongside you all as an early “force” of immersion. I look forward to reading this!

3 Likes

It’ll differ from person to person, so any advice I give may need to be adjusted.

I recommend going through the book once without worrying about adding anything to Anki, as you want to focus on encountering as much grammar as you can. Latter sentences in the book probably build upon earlier grammar. (I’m just guessing.) After completing the volume, you can determine if you want to start making Anki cards.

The reason I recommend this (as general advice) is because some people start Genki and don’t finish, for any number of reasons. Creating Anki cards can cause friction. “I can read another chapter, but I don’t have time for (or don’t feel up to) creating Anki cards, so I’ll skip Genki today.”

Regardless of how you go about it, you can always change course midway and do things differently.

4 Likes

I feel very attacked! :rofl:

But yeah you’re absolutely right. I think it’s best to make Genki as low-threshold as possible so you will be able to keep up with it. It took me MOOONTHS to finish Genki cause I was expecting way too much from myself. It’s why I enjoy Bunpro, cause it means I don’t have to make a bunch of cards myself and I can just focus on getting the repetition.

5 Likes

This sounds exciting! Never attempted a Japanese book club before, even though my grammar and vocab are somewhat abysmal, I’d love to give it a shot.

Will the club be conducted entirely through the WK forums, or somewhere else?

(First post on the WK forums!)

6 Likes

Excited to take part in my first book club :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Just ordered the first volume off cdjapan :muscle:

4 Likes

Yep, we make threads here for each chapter. You can check out this club, for example, to see how it works.

1 Like

Elfeera! Good to see you on here too! Between this and Genki I we are going to have a lot on our Japanese-learning plate! The manga looks so fun though. Even though the grammar will be a struggle it’ll be such good exposure to the rules and build our vocab too. Hope you give it a go! (Stephy1522 from Discord)

As soon as I can figure out how to buy it :stuck_out_tongue:

I managed via Amazon JP, no real issues other than my bank freaking out. Brand new issue and I got it for £14. Struggled to find the Japanese translation anywhere else really…

The shipping is quite expensive though, so I would have to recharge my prepaid visa first

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this, I saw the anime and It’s pretty wholesome.

The Japanese version on the manga on Amazon.com is most of the time 2x/3x/4x the price on Amazon.jp, but you pay less for shipping. So when I buy manga from Amazon.jp, I buy them in a batch so the cheaper price + more shipping is worth for me.

I guess it’s one more series to add to my collection. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

3 Likes

Not sure if I have enough vocabulary or grammar down to do this, but I’m interested in giving it a shot.

7 Likes

seem straighforward. Ordered! Thanks Mel.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. Ordered to be sent to home. Thanks.

2 Likes

Do I need to wait till May 1st to fill in the character sheet? or it doesn’t matter? (Again I’m sorry, this is the first book club that I joined >.<)

1 Like

You mean the shared vocab sheet? Have at it, just make sure you read the instructions on the first tab :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Finished Minna no Nihongo 1. Looking forward to reading one of my favourite manga’s in the original language. :grin:

4 Likes

While I am way past Genki 1 and 2, I do need to practice reading other things besides essays lolol. I’ll be glad to join and see how this goes! Very excited!

4 Likes

Wow, this is perfect! I love this series and was thinking of reading the raws when I leveled up a bit. But right now, I’m close to WK4 and have been solo’ing Genki 1 slowly. This is great motivation to work more!

Japanese learning aside, I remember reading the first volumes and it was so… “arghh” because the character’s do not look as cute as they do now haha. Takagi looked and felt so much more mean-spirited than innocent cute teasing :rofl:. The art has evolved so prettily since! (Around Vol 3-4 the art starts to look closer to how it is now and in the anime)

I hope to get as far as I can in WK and Genki before the start date and look forward to reading my first native material!! :smile:

7 Likes

Thank you, I added a bit from a casual read through, will refine overtime. Huge Takahashi Rie fan so the motivation is there >.<

4 Likes